“Great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina

You added Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina to your Saves list
Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   20 Patriots Point Road, Mount Pleasant, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Nice place to stay at a reasonable price. It seems like an older "resort," but it was still a good stay (not the current types of resorts that I typically think of though). I got this stay through Priceline, however, they add an additional $12 resort fee. I think that is something that Priceline needs to work out because it was discouraging to have to pay more when I thought it was already taken care of. I guess part of the resort fee goes to a free 4-hour bike rental and a trolley to downtown Charleston.

The front desk asked if I'd like to upgrade with a better view, but for $35-$45 more and the only time I'm in my room is to sleep or get ready, I didn't think it was worth it because I don't stare out my window. You also have to pay for WiFi.

It has a great location between the downtown Charleston area (5-8 minute drive) or Sullivan's Island (10 minute drive) or Isle of Palms (10-15 minute drive). It does not have it's own beach, so you'll need transportation to get you to one. But it has a pool.

The grounds were clean and quiet. The room was brightly decorated, clean, and did the job! However, the shower curtain smelled moldly/sour and the A/C fan was going all night. Some may like that to reduce any outside noise. I didn't hear any other hotel guest, but not sure if that had to do with the A/C or if the walls are thick.

Overall a good place to stay, saved me hotel money, and I was able to have some Charleston fun without breaking the bank. I'd stay there again if that is where Priceline gets for me.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
FOMCHRM, Front Office Manager at Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, May 8, 2011
On behalf of all team members I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to write about your recent experience here at the Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina. We I am very pleased to hear that your overall experience was good and that you will consider the resort again when you return to Charleston. I do apologize for the misleading information you received through Priceline. We do advertise our $12.00 resort fee on our website and are unfortunately unable to control or have no influence of the advertisement from 3rd party websites. Priceline does have a clause while you go through the reservation process which states that mandatory or optional charges such as resort fees, parking etc are not included in your offered price when using the “name your own price” system as Priceline does not know which hotel/resort you will be staying at until the booking process has been completed and Priceline selected a property for you based on your offered price. Our $12.00 resort fee does include, parking, 4h bike rental per day based on availability, wireless access throughout the resort, coffee all day in the lobby, our famous afternoon treat, scheduled transportation to downtown and other local destinations, daily newspapers in the morning, discounted admission to local attractions offered through the recreation department along with transportation, most on site recreation activities for adults and children including beach games, bingo, trivia and more as well as free admission to events sponsored by the resort. Check your *Harbor Happenings* for the latest activities on our website, environmental services including recycling and clean marina standards, local telephone calls, notary service, business center services and more.
I am very concerned about the extra charge for wireless you mentioned in your review. Please forward your invoice to me and I will be more than happy to correct it for you if there has been an extra charge besides the resort fee. Our upgraded rooms are extremely popular and we certainly want to give everyone who comes to Charleston and our resort the full experience. Many of our guests are looking for the rooms with balconies and harbor view to enjoy the stunning sunsets and views over downtown Charleston, the Harbor or USS Yorktown and the Arthur Ravenel Bridge. If we do have these types of rooms available on day of arrival we certainly like to give everyone the opportunity the enjoy them.
The location of the resort is in deed great and a preferred destination by many travelers coming to the **Holy City**

Once again thank you very much for your comments and we look forward seeing you soon again at the resort. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can assure your next overall experience is beyond your expectations.

Yours sincerely

Daniel Herrmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a work/vacation weekend. The staff was very friendly. They took the time to learn our names and what we liked and remembered each day. The experience was very personal! Just what we were looking for! The grounds are beautiful and an amazing dinner downtown is just moments away via trolley or water taxi. The pool is beautiful and a great place to get some sun! The Reel Bar staff really went above and beyond and even personally delivered our meal one night when it was too busy in the bar for us to enjoy some personal time. Fridays on the Point is also awesome. You can enjoy a live concert form the beach or have the same experience right from your hotel room. This was by far the best hotel we have stayed at in years! We highly recommend it. Lots of activitys for everyone young and old or you can hang out in your room for some R&R and enjoy the sound of the ocean, the cool brezze, and beautiful view of the harbor and bridge!

Room Tip: 4th Floor has amazing views of Harbor! Room 417
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed in the Admiral suite and it had the best view in Charleston, hands down! Any room facing the harbor is nice but our view extended from Fort Sumter to the Yorktown. We will be sure to stay again in the future. The beds were fabulous, the customer service was top notch... a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
FOMCHRM, Front Office Manager at Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina. We are delighted to hear of the exceptional experience you encountered while residing with us in our Admiral Suite with the million dollar view as our guests like to call it. I hope your travel plans will bring you back to our resort again soon as we look forward to providing you with the same exceptional service in the near future. Thank you for allowing us to be your premiere hotel of choice
Norfolk, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I read a lot of reviews about this place before we stayed, and they were mostly correct--both positive, and negative. The most annoying thing is the constant attempt to sell you upgrades. In one review I read, the reviewer was vexed that the only way to get a room with a king was to upgrade. In my case, the only way to get a room with two beds was to upgrade. Indeed, there is a sign on the counter selling the various upgrades, and a spot on the check-in form where you initial for any upgrade you agree to. Not something I've ever seen in any other hotel and something they would be better off dropping.

Other negatives I had read from others that were spot on were the out-dated TVs, water damage around the window, noisy AC, smallish room, and $12/day resort fee.

That said, none of that stuff was really a big deal. The views were gorgeous, the beds comfy, the room reasonably clean, the location good, the surroundings pleasant. On balance, I don't think I could have done much better for the money, but I had gotten a pretty good deal.

We tried to eat in the bar once but it was raining at the time and the bar had filled up and had no room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
On behalf of our team I would like to thank you for your recent visit and your comments you have left us and future travelers here on tripadvisor. We are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would consider us again when returning to the holy city. I’m am also extremely excited to inform you that we have started this week replacing the dated TV’s with brand new 42” Flat Screen TV’s in our Traditional Rooms. All our Deluxe Rooms and Suites are already equipped with Flat Screen TV’s.
Once again thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward welcoming you back soon again.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

This is a well kept, relaxing hotel with beautiful views of Charleston and the water. Rooms are modest to small but well built, with good-sized bathrooms and many nice amentities. The grounds are equally enjoyable: beautiful (unheated) pool, pub/patio, small beach and boardwalk marina. Location is central to so many easily accesible areas: Charleston, the plantations, ocean beaches, marinas, and countryside. Downsides: small lobby, surprisingly uninformed desk clerks, and an absent concierge (the security guard was a fountain of local knowledge in comparison). The last day of my stay was the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War, and cannons located 1/4 mile from the resort began firing at regular intervals at 4:45 am (rocking the room). Some employees questioned the wisdom of the location of the cannons, others denied hearing any noise remarkably straight-faced, but suffice to say little sleep was had that morning. Overall, a great value, but with some common sense, could be even a more pleasurable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for view of Charleston, though all are good.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
I’d like to thank you for your comments about your recent experience here at the Charleston Harbor Resort. I am very pleased to read that you had a wonderful experience. While we are extremely proud and honored to be located right between the USS Yorktown Navel Museum as well as the Historical Fort Sumter I do apologize for the inconvenience and noise level due to the 150th anniversary celebration of the Civil War and the early cannon shots close to the Resort. I certainly understand that this is the last experience you expect when staying here at the Resort. Once again my sincerely apologies and we look forward to welcome you back soon here at the Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina.
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Vacationed over Spring Break with my husband, college sons, mother- we had never been to the area before and each of us had a great time (that's a lot of people to please!) We really enjoyed the spring weather, lack of crowds, and off-season rates. I always sweat the planning aspects of vacation and remarked, "If I'd have come ahead of time to scout-out the area, I would have chosen to stay right here!" The resort was above expectation- we especially enjoyed the feeling of remoteness, beautifully kept property, views from Patriot's Point, but in such close proximity to the area highlights.

In preparation for the trip, I talked directly with very helpful front office mgr Daniel Herrmann to ensure we had a package deal (including breakfast- otherwise breakfast would have been rather expensive- it's a lot more relaxing having that arranged) and reserved rooms directly with the hotel. When he found out we were celebrating my Mom's 80th birthday, he upgraded all 3 of our rooms and put us in adjacent rooms with balconies. The rooms were delightful: bright, CLEAN, fresh, tastefully appointed (seaside theme)- no complaints- and I'm particular! We asked for Daniel upon arrival and he really made us feel welcome. The other hotel staff were very attentive and friendly. Be aware there is a $12 per night per room resort fee- includes parking, daily activities, etc. It's not quoted in the room rate. The resort trolley runs regularly- although we didn't use it- we would have if we'd stayed longer ( we were there 3 nights and drove to Hilton Head for the balance of the week).

There is a beautiful boardwalk from the hotel to the marina, USS Yorktown, and Ft Sumter tour boat boarding (even if you depart and return from Patriot's Point, make a point of seeing the very nice Ft Sumter visitors' center in Charleston- the other departure point). No matter what we did during the day, we relaxed on the pool deck in the afternoons (brought our own snacks and wine). The hot tub/spa was large and pleasant. You can sit outside the pool area in a beach setting and enjoy the views; looking out at the bay, over at the Ravenel Bridge, watching birds, sailboats and ships. We drove into old Charleston or over to Shem Creek for dinners. I have traveled a great deal and, aside from Italy, never eaten such consistently good food on vacation! The resort has a book that includes menus from a number of area restaurants and made our reservations for us.

Charleston Cooks! cooking demo was a highlight in Charleston! (you can arrange it online) We found the horse-drawn carriage rides to be expensive- we were glad we had some good walking tours planned and enjoyed driving around as well. We enjoyed the Tea Plantation tour and Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka (Irvin Vineyards) on Wadmalaw Island, and driving around the Islands adjacent to Mt. Pleasant.

Next visit I would book an evening dinner cruise (we were off-season for weeknight cruises), go sailing out of the marina (there's a sailing school), spend more time watching the dolphins, walk or bike across the Ravenel bridge, tour a plantation or two along Ashley Creek. We could have easily filled a week.

Room Tip: Go off-season!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your extended review about your recent stay here at The Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina. I remember your family very well, and I am very glad to hear how much your enjoyed your trip to the Holy City and the Resort. The History on the Harbor Package you had booked is indeed a very popular package as it gives you the full experience about the History on the Charleston Harbor including Fort Sumter and the USS Yorktown Navel Museum. It was my pleasure assisting you with the planning of the trip and look definitely forward to your return here. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will be more than happy and assist you with your future trip the Charleston. Once again thank you very much and best regards to you and the rest of the family.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

For our first visit to Charleston, we originally booked a high end hotel downtown. On further thought, we decided staying across the bay would actually provide us a much better experience. Well, it sure did, thanks to the Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina!

The hotel is located at the end of an extensive and beautiful Mt. Pleasant recreational complex including a golf course, walking paths, baseball, hotels, condos and naval attractions. Charleston Harbor Resort is directly on the water overlooking a marina. The grounds of the hotel are very well kept with plenty of palms, flowers, sandy beach sitting areas, a great looking pool, and piers jutting out into the bay.

We stayed in a studio suite. Our room was quite large, very attractive, and in excellent condition. Our patio was huge, providing an excellent view of sunsets, barge and cruise ship traffic. The hotel common areas were very clean and inviting. The free surface parking was convenient and readily available. The lobby offered complimentary coffee service and a delightful staff ready to assist.

We used the Reel Bar for drinks and light meals. The shrimp and grits recipe is first class, huge burgers, outstanding clam chowder and well-poured beverages. Outdoor seating is available. Who could ask for anything more?

Your car is not required to visit downtown Charleston. You can choose between the free hotel trolley or a water taxi service that departs about 100 yards from the hotel. It's just $6 for the taxi and the ride across the bay is wonderful. If you do decide to use your car, the magnificant Ravenel Bridge is toll free, but you should expect to pay about $20 per day to park in the very tight downtown section.

Evidently, the hotel is updating its rooms one section at a time. We heard no construction noise. Our room was not an updated room, but as a suite was in quite good condition, had a working fireplace and other amenities, including a flat screen, hi-def TV, small fridge, and separate shower. We would have liked a microwave in the room, too.

Like other posters, we won't stay anywhere else when visiting Charleston. The relaxed location and theme of the Charleston Harbor Resort provides a unique experience not available downtown.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
FOMCHRM, Front Office Manager at Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
Dear recent valued Guest of the Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina.

We are very delighted to read your extensive review about your experience here at the Resort in April. The Studio Suite is most definitely a great room with an amazing view over historic Downtown Charleston, the harbor, Marina as well as beautiful sunsets.

All our team members strive to exceed all out guest expectations and provide the best service in order to give our guest the best Charleston Experience imaginable.

It is definitely a pleasure to hear that you will consider the Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina again when you return to Charleston as many other travelers wrote on Tripadvisor before. We look forward to you next arrival and please feel free to call me directly when you return.

Yours sincerely

Daniel Herrmann

Been to Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!