“Good pork. Not much else.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Buffet, Late Night
Lexington, South Carolina
“Good pork. Not much else.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was so impressed by the pork that I didn't end up using any of the provided sauces. There isn't much else that stands out.

Pros:

Excellent pulled pork

Cons:

Small tables
Outside tables are cheap/flimsy
Service was just ok

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Savannah, Georgia
“Excellent BBQ! Friendly service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hudson's puts real work into their bbq and it is tasty and satisfying. The sides are excellent as well, especially the hash n' rice, mac n' cheese, potato salad and cole slaw. They also serve seafood and their fried catfish is great. The staff is very friendly too. They also cater a sporting clays event I go to regularly and their catered food tastes like it came right out of the kitchen

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stonington, Connecticut
“Real Southern Cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Went here in search of some down home Southern cooking and was not disappointed. Chose the all you can eat buffet for 9.95, not because I wanted to stuff my face but wanted to try as many dishes as I could. Husband ordered the chopped brisket which was delicious - succulent and the right balance of smokiness and sauce. We ordered a second side of it. Otherwise my favorites were the mac and cheese, good slaw, wonderful field beans, broccoli casserole, and sweet potato casserole which was more like a dessert. Hush puppies, fried chicken and cobbler were on the dry side, but got a side of ribs which were succulent and meaty. Best mustard sauce we've tasted and we bought some to take home.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
“What I believe is real SC BBQ.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have to admit that this was only the second place I had ever tried South Carolina (mustard-based) BBQ. I liked it a lot better than the previous stop.
First impressions matter, and when I saw the somewhat rustic exterior and the smokehouse to the side, I was pretty sure I would like Hudson's. Then there was the fairly full parking lot at lunchtime, and the law enforcement vehicle. Some people dine where trucker's like to eat. I have observed that cops tend to eat out a lot and know the best places in town.
Hudson's has a screened-in porch dining area, a dining room, and a bar/dining area. They don't much care where you choose to sit, and they get you situated quickly. They have a buffet, but I went for the BBQ Pork dinner, with beans, collard greens and hash & rice. I also tried an appetizer of chicharrons. The appetizer was so plentiful that I took half of it with me when I left.
The collards were very good and fresh-tasting, and the beans were also very good. The vinegar-based hash was excellent. The pork had excellent taste and texture, with obvious bark mixed in. I tried it with their tomato-based, vinegar-based, and mustard-based sauces; and all were great! The mustard-based sauce was on a whole level above what I had elsewhere.
This was a great find, and I will gladly come back for more!
So, why not an Excellent rating? No sampler platter. Less significantly, no fried pickle appetizer. Maybe that seems picky, but I like fried pickles. The important thing is the BBQ, and Hudson's has a place on the SC BBQ Association's juried Top 100 list.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, South Carolina
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

If you love pork or chicken BBQ, then Hudson's will fill you up and out. They have a buffet or menu option. I've never been let down. Not too cheap, so be ready.

Visited June 2013