“Filthy Hotel - Carpets in common areas and rooms stained, need vacuumed, hotel smells of cigarettes & air freshener” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Lexington
Collinsville, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

OMG, where do I start? I wish I had read the reviews on this hotel, I mistakenly assumed that because I had stayed at other HIE express locations and been satisfied this experience would have been the same. Not so.

The carpet is stained throughout the property, common areas as well as guest rooms. The PTac A/C units are loud and squeel and screech all night long. The hotel hallways appear to have not been vacuumed any time recently, the hotel smells of cigarettes throughout. The rooms smell like cigarettes masked by air freshener.

The night clerk, "Bob" is as clueless as they come. I asked for a room change and he did not check to see if the second one was any better.

So unhappy, I would rather sleep in my car and may do just that.

Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Barbara D,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It's disappointing to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would like to address your concerns in further details and have sent you a private message to obtain more information regarding your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B

Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We previously stayed in Columbia SC Holiday Inn Express. We expected much better accommodations based on our previous experience. When I called about where to plug in our coffee maker they said that we would have to move it since there was no available electricity to it. There were no linens for the sofa sleeper. Only one ice machine for 3 floors. Pool was green and dirty...... sauna and steam room locked and unavailable. Stains on the dust ruffles on the beds......nastiness on the handicap bars in the bathroom. Don't waste your money on these accommodations......RUN to the nearest available!

Room Tip: Smoker and no smoker rooms mixed on the same hall....can smell smoke.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BrookeSShaw

Travelers are raving about these Lexington hotels

Barboursville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This hotel was a little older than some but very clean. Breakfast buffet was great and varied daily. The staff was very friendly and personable shopping and recreation was nearby. Airconditioning was refreshing and cooled the room adequately which during this heat is remarkable! We didn't use the pool but saw staff cleaning it daily. A very comfortable stay

Room Tip: The only reason rooms received a very good was because they are older but cleanliness was still main...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
columbia sc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Second year in a row they screwed up our family reservations even after constantly confirming the late arrivals with the front desk. We have always found HIExpress great when we travel but not in Lexington. While most of the staff is polite, the others (night auditor) need to be fired. Don't think training will help people like that. A $20 discount and a comp room did help but it didn't help the fact that the visiting families went thru Hades getting checked in at 2 am into a smokey, grimy room. Next year.. any place but here ...At least the AC worked in the rooms this year.

Room Tip: Don't arrive late and check out the room before you unload your car.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gail R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear TripsRgood4U,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I apologize for the shortcomings of our staff and the troubles that your family may have experienced during check-in. We strive to provide the best possible service and experiences and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an excellent performance in this instance. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

Lera M
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The staff here is uncommonly nice and helpful, but I don't think I will return to this property because my standard for an average hotel includes being clean. The bathroom looked clean, but when I turned down the bed, the sheets looked slept in and there was something spilled on it -- maybe coffee with cream? Dust around the base of wall is thick in places, piece of blue plastic trash from previous guest next to the other bed - the one that does not have the look of being previously used. Room fridge shelves have cracks in plastic sheathing and thick coat of ice in freezer unit with no door closing it from the rest of unit. Carpets in room has stains. Gold color not the best for hiding stains. Hall carpets are dirty and worn through in places. Elevator wall covering ripped and elevator carpet is filthy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Alabama Nana B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. While we aim to offer the highest level of service and facilities to our guests, it seems that we fell short of offering you an experience in keeping with your expectations. We have noted your comments regarding housekeeping and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. Please rest assured that these lapses in quality and service on our part will be addressed with the proper departments in order to avoid a similar occurrence in the future.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback. We hope that you give us another chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Connie D
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

I travel for a living, and it is a true statement that I have never had a noisier hotel room than room 127. I can't believe they even have rooms in this location of the hotel. Sandwiched between the ice maker, the pool, and right next to the meeting rooms where late-night parties occur, the noise never ceased. We couldn't even turn the fan on the AC unit on to block the noise. The breakfast area the next morning was crowded and dirty, with what appeared to be homeless people coming in off the street to partake of the free breakfast. A very poor experience - I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pcumby
Dear pcumby,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your experience. I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, my apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort. I'm sorry your stay was negatively affected by the situation in the breakfast area and noise from our other guests. I assure you that the valuable comments you've shared will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Thank you again for you feedback. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Newark, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I think if a establishment is under renovation they should tell you when you book.....maybe I don't wanna stay if its sandy and the door don't work or you smell paint....and the lobby smell like cigarettes...call me when the renovations are done!!!!!.don't fall for the hype of the pictures on line...they lie...on line it looks better than any hotel in Lexington.....glad I'm just visiting.....customer service was good....we got an upgrade....but I'm still trying to figure out while typing this review...is this a suite????....I guess its a suite in a small town...I guess...lol....overall its ok....lol

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank stephbaker79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
Hampton Inn Lexington/Columbia
Comfort Suites Lexington
Comfort Suites Lexington
#1 of 7 in Lexington
4.5 of 5 stars 238 reviews
Wingate by Wyndham Columbia/Lexington
Value Place Columbia, South Carolina (Lexington)
Quality Inn & Suites Lexington
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Columbia

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!