“A little disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
upper state south carolina
“A little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is going to be long- SORRY- BUT I am being very descriptive.
We wanted to try this place but could not find a menu online. They only have a FaceBook page and you have to send a friend request. So We did not order the first night. Next day went to the place ad picked up a menu.
We ususally order out and eat at home- much easier, little mess, just some trash to throw away, I have drinks at home, can watch my own TV shows, its quiet, less germy and i can do it all in my pajamas if i want to!

So now i have scanned and uploaded the menu so you have pictures of the menu for your review----- you are welcome! :-)

Most have been to the traditional Japanese steakhouse where you get the typical flaming, spatula juggling show. This is along that line.

They have only 2 tables that can be used for the teppanyaki style cooking.
There is a few seats in front of the sushi making person and then several BAR seats. I did not pay attention to what alcohol is served but according to the menu Beer, Wine and Sake.

The menu is quite large in that of regular chinese take out styles. You will notice when you DINE IN that the Teppanaki style cooking is WAY HIGHER priced than if you sit in regular dining and eat the same item. Lesson learned for ME.

They do have specials all the time which you can see on the Facebook page but those do NOT apply to the Teppanaki food preparation.

So we decided to go inside and eat, just me and my daughter and we were ordering a to-go for my husband. she and I wanted to see the teppanki cooking. We were the only ones sitting at the cooking table - although there were several couples in the place in regular seating and a few at the sushi bar, This should have been a BIG FLAG! But no, I was oblivious.

We stand at the entrance with people just shooting glances at us and wondering ok what now? finally after what seems to be several minutes, a tiny girl comes over and greets us. I didn't even see her before and had no clue she worked there. we told her we wanted the hibachi table.

After several question and answer minutes, we order our drinks. we look over the sushi menu and decide on the special 2 rolls for 7.99.. Ordered my favorite Spicy Tuna and a tempura crab roll.
We then order our entrees (expense place I tell ya! when you can go right down the street and get the same thing for a LOT less- no show but you can watch them cook it!)!!!!! as we are eating our soup (a beef broth with a few mushroom slices and some green onion, also seemed a bit heavy on the black pepper) and eating our salad (icebrug lettuce with some shredded carrot and a "ginger dressing" - the dressing was a bit on the SWEET side and could taste hardly any ginger and I am positive it was a mayonnaise base) the dressing was the strangest ginger dressing I ever had at one of these places it was also white in color. anyway while eating the salad the waitress informs us they have NO TUNA TODAY!!?? The sushi place in town on a Saturday night and no TUNA? ok so I order yellow tail- never had it but took her suggestion that they were similar texture fish.

The yellow tail was good although not very spicy and had what looked like some bread crumbs on each end, it was not topped with the spicy aioli like I expected. the tempura crab roll was topped with some brown sauce I am unsure what it was. the roll was large, so largeI couldn't pick it up with my novice chopstick skills. the fried batter kept falling off the crab- and I am almost positive that crab was imitation! at least it looked like that fake crap. Both were good but I have had better.

The meal time comes. the show wasn't that great at all typical stuff. there is no appetizer shrimp like in most places. They only have this yum-yum sauce for dipping which to me is a much sweeter version of the pinkish shrimp sauce you get elsewhere. They put some weird sauce in the fried rice. that was tanish colored. He didnt do much in way or show, just a few trick and then it was over! less than 10 minutes worth! Daughter and I both ordered steak, I also ordered shrimp. /He put 2 steaks on the grill but gave her half of my steak along with hers. My shrimp were not cut up (and the whole show part with the tails0 forget it they were peeled already all he did was cook them) I had to cut my large shrimp with my fork. He also put teryaki sauce on the shrimp and the vegetables. YUCK. This was NOT worth the price by a long shot.

Service was MEH! Recommend fresh sushi here, but for cheap hibachi get it at the other Japan place. or cheaper sushi Try redbowl or BETTER Harris Teeter in Indian Land

update: crab is fake crab, confirmed by employee. at 12 noon had no tuna (again) rather it was there but not prepared as yet. so call beforeheand if this is what you want! also the spicy mayo is mixed with panko and the seafood on the spicy yellow tail and spicy scallop rolls, there is no vegetables in either roll

• Visited April 2013