“Under the trees” 3 of 5 stars

Weddington, NC
10 attraction reviews
“Under the trees”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

A quiet battleground, where your imagination can let loose. Not much to see, not attended, but there is a quietness and solitude here that makes it worth a quick visit.

Visited June 2011

Thaxton, VA
21 attraction reviews
“Revered Silence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I came across a website for Buford's Bloody Massacre by accident when I was looking for attractions and things to do while planning for our trip to South Carolina recently. It's name caught my attention because my dad's name is Buford. I felt like this was a sign...this was one of the places we'd put on our list. As I began to read the article, it was like I was meant to find that article and we were meant to go there (this has happened to me quite a few times). Not only was this place only a few miles from Chester, where we had planned to stop and get a surprise copy of my parents' marriage license, but the little place had the same name as my dad? What kind of coincidence was that? I continued reading about the massacre and found that the battle had occured on May 29th, 1780...my dad's birthday is in May. Then I realized 350 Virginians were attacked here...I'm from Virginia. But to top it all off, I continued to read about the Colonel who had led the massacre of my Virginia brethren and the name was like a slap in the face...Tarleton. I knew that name!! I told my husband I was sure I had an ancestor with that last name. I quickly logged on to Ancestry.com and looked at my family tree. Yep...there were Tarletons listed but no one by the name of Banastre Tarleton. Maybe, just maybe I was wrong. When we finally arrived at Buford Battleground on March 16, 2012, I could feel the anguish in my soul, I could imagine the screams, I could hear the horses' hooves, I could sense the sorrow that place held. As we drove away, I left with a heavy heart, knowing I had to be sure what I already knew in my gut. When we got home from our vacation, I did some research and found the answer I knew before we left Virginia...the cruel colonel who massacred my Virginia brethren was my 10th great grandfather's brother. Rest in Peace, Colonel Abraham Buford and my Virginia brethren...I'm so sorry...you will always hold a special place in my heart!!

Visited March 2012