“good day spoiled by bad service” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Golf Courses, Sports
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: Highly recommended golf course with dramatic views of the Atlantic.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“good day spoiled by bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Played the Ocean course for my birthday, the course was nice, perhaps i had been spoiled, by spending 10 days in Scotland in July, playing some stunning ocean front courses. Club house restaurant and food were fantastic, with one of the most spectacular views i have ever seen from a restaurant window.

This is now the bad service. Half way thru my round, i was looking for my wedge my caddie put my wedge into the other gentleman's bag, no problem, we found it. At the end of the round we all shake hands, the caddies put your bag into your car. The next morning i'm getting my bag to play golf, and notice my wedge is missing. I immediately know what has happened, the caddie put my wedge in the other guys bag. I call the club house at 7am, let them know what happened, the gentleman is staying at Kiawah, but is flying home today to San Diego. I was told by the young gentleman, he would take care of it, and he would call me back. I head out to play golf at Wild dunes. At 4pm i have not received any calls. I call the club, spoke to another gentleman, he would call the other golfer,and call me back. 15 minutes later, i received a call, he had left a message, but got no response back, i informed the gentleman, he would not get a call from the other golfer, until his plan landed in San Diego with my wedge. to cut a longer story short, after 3 more call on my part chasing up, the info on my wedge, it is being shipped back to me. This could have been avoided, if they could have made one call that morning. I would to thank Kiawah for getting my club back, but after dropping $670 for the day, golf, tip, food and items in pro shop. I would expect better service, perhaps a simple apology from some one, and i would have been happy

Onalaska, Wisconsin
52 attraction reviews
“Walk on the wild side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I walked 36 twice while here.
The golf course is excellent.
Greens were rough as they had been punched.

Columbus, Ohio
“Good (not Great) Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I'm a 15 handicap, and had heard the course was extremely difficult. It was difficult (I shot a 96) but I honestly expected worse! : ) The course is beautiful, but as one reviewer mentioned, no views of the ocean on the front nine, and few on the back nine.

Advice: I played early morning. Play later in the day. I think the sun will provide more picturesque views of the course.

Take some extra golf balls. You will lose a few!

If possible, ask for Jason as your caddie. He's awesome! Whatever caddie you get, make sure to ask what celebrities he has caddied for. Good conversation.

Avoid playing with members if possible. I was paired with 3 club members/residents of the island. One was an architect originally from Ohio. Great guy! We shared the same caddie. The other two were from across the pond and had a vacation home overlooking the Ocean Course. One immediately asked me if I was a resident. I said I was not (just vacationing) Throughout the round, they continued to express their displeasure at having to be paired with a non-member/non-resident, and a "commoner" at that. Their caddie made sure to make remarks about every errant shot I made, and made every effort to make me feel unwelcomed. Many times, my caddie and I were the only ones left on the green. Once they had putted-out, they walked on to the next hole. I expected better.

One reviewer mentioned that the pro shop had an air that they were doing you a favor by letting you in their house. That is an understatement.

Final Advice: Come with friends. Enjoy the round. Take photos. Keep your scorecard. If you get paired with members like I did, stay in your own game, pretend they don't exist,

3 attraction reviews
“Worth Playing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Ocean Course was great to play, especially having seen it on TV. Had the same caddie both days and he was awesome. Don't know that I can recommend the course in the dead of summer. Even with the wind it is hot to the point of being uncomfortable. But the condition was great considering the heat. Pace of play is slow (figure 5 hours+) and the locker room is worse than some small public courses I've seen. No shower towels or combs/brushes, at least when I was there, and the pro shop staff has the air of doing you a favor by allowing you into their house. Still worth going, although the Kohler courses in Wisconsin are better.

New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
“A Real Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Expensive, but worth it. The course is set up to the highest standards, and the caddies are a great help. Hard, but lots of fun.

Visited July 2013