Evidently, no expense was spared in the design and construction of this exquisite and impeccable resort. Everything is of the highest possible quality including the staff who, as a matter of corporate policy, will kill you with kindness. We've been to many 5 star resorts all over the world and I can't recall a place where the guests were treated with more deference - for example, staff members will step to the side, back to the wall, and nod as you progress down the hall like a living god. It's almost too much.
It's wise and, I think, worthwhile to book a oceanfront room because only these rooms give you proper exposure to the beach and the sound of the surf. Our room, which was apparently one notch down from the oceanfront category, was halfway back the east wing and quite removed from the ocean. A family member's oceanfront room was much better - although the one grievance I have with the hotel in general is that many of the balconies are not private in the sense that there is no partition with a neighboring porch, which makes it very awkward to be out there at the same time as others. Even the rooms with partitions, such as ours, are not really private, since even the whispered conversations of neighbors are very audible. The only saving grace is that few people, inexplicably, actually sit outside - or if you're out there first they appear to quickly retreat into their rooms with a slam of the terrace door.
In any event, the spa is first rate. The best one I've been to in about the last 6 high end resorts we've visited, some of which are billed primarily as spa resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Near Charleston, SC, The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort is an oceanfront Five Star/ Five Diamond hotel and spa offering casual Southern grace, comfort and charm on one of the top eco-friendly island in the U.S. It features five golf courses including The Ocean Course, site of the 2012 PGA Championship. Tennis magazine ranks it as America's No. 3 tennis resorts and it has one of the top-ranked beaches in the country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sanctuary At Kiawah Island Golf Hotel Kiawah Island
- Sanctuary Hotel Kiawah Island
- The Sanctuary Kiawah Island