“Very Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   12 Kiawah Beach Dr., Kiawah Island, SC 29455   |
Durham, North Carolina
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

When we made the reservation, we were told that there were three levels of accommodation and we chose the middle - which was said to be partially updated and very nice. It indeed had new floors and countertops and relatively new appliances. But beyond that, I would hate to see the lowest level, as our condo was sparsely decorated, cheap furniture, an old mattress, the smallest flat panel TV I have seen, an extremely uncomfortable chair in the living room, and a cable just kind of running along the floor board in the bedroom. There was one sharp knife in the drawer, and generally the kitchen was poorly equipped. It had a VCR - wow how 90s! We have rented resort managed condos owned by individual owners at Hilton Head, Ocean Isle, Emerald Isle, Isle of Palms and this was the worst overall and by far the worst value for the money. For many years we owned a condo at Chetola in Blowing Rock and rented it through their resort program - they would have never allowed a condo like this to be in the program. We would not recommend renting through Kiawah to anyone, this condo was a terrible value for the money.

We filled out their survey with essentially the same comments as above and never heard anything back. This was a terrible value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MikeVegis01, Guest Relations Manager at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

I want to sincerely apologize about your disappointment with your accommodations and the lack of response to the survey you filled out. I would appreciate the chance to email or speak with you directly regarding your experience in more detail so I can further look into your accomodations.

Sarah Morgan
Director of Guest Service

Email: sarah_morgan@kiawahresort.com
Phone: (843)768-2845

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Louisville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We rented a 3 bedroom oceanfront villa. We planned on taking our 4 pound dog (had to pay a bit extra every day, but that's ok) When we walked it the smell was overwhelming. It smelled of urine. The couch had black dog hair all over the front of it.
When I walked out on the screened in porch, i noted huge holes bigger than the size of a bowling ball, in the screen. Duct tape was holding the latch of the door on.
I understand that carpet has stains, but this carpet had stains in every room. I have no doubt the
Place had not been cleaned in a long time.
Forget the clean and safety issues, the a/c did not work either.
We called the manager as soon as we walked in.
Five plus hours later we moved to a cleaned, but smaller, and no where near the ocean place. The resort was nice, the food at all the places was great, but the service was disappointing. It took multiple calls to get the bill correct.
There was nothing offered for the condition of the first villa, the time or hassle to change etc
I even filled out a review where I tried to be helpful

• Stayed August 2013
MikeVegis01, Front Office Manager at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

I want to sincerely apologize for the multiple challenges you had with your stay at Kiawah. I would appreciate the chance to email or speak with you directly regarding your experience in more detail so I can immediately address the issues and hopefully recover. We truly care about your feedback and want to make things right with you and prevent these things from happening in the future.

Sarah Morgan
Director of Guest Service

Email: sarah_morgan@kiawahresort.com
Phone: (843)768-2845
Louisville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed in a 2 bedroom "villa" which is really a condo but was quite nice. They are individually owned, not sure they are all the same quality but this one was very nice, in the "Tennis Club" section. Short walk to the "adult only" pool, which was empty most of the time. The kid's pool is newly remodeled and has water slides and all kinds of water features as well as a daily schedule of kids' games that they seemed to enjoy. Bring your own food, it's very expensive to eat on the island. Had dinner at the golf club where the PGA was held. Was highly recommended for the "view" but can't say it was that great compared to other places I've been. Does not match sunset on Lake Cumberland! The food was mediocre and DO NOT consider eating outside at dusk unless you want to be eaten alive by mosquitos! There are no citronella candles and they actually have LIGHTS to ATTRACT the bugs. Service is very slow.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week in the Tennis Club Villas traveling with my cousin's family. Between pool and beach for the kids, tennis and spa for the grown-ups, and two chefs in the family (one professional and one very amateur), we always had plenty to do and good food to eat. The pools are great fun for little kids with slides, sprinklers, and food. The beach is amazing: very flat, miles in both directions, and warm water in July. Sometimes we carted our whole life to the beach with toys, cameras, food, drinks. Other times, we went with just towels. It was so nice to unplug and enjoy spending time together. This is a great place to travel with a big party and know that everyone will enjoy themselves (from our 1 year old to the grown ups). Although I try not to complain, it is a little expensive for condo living... we hardly encountered a staff member all week and I would not label our condo as "luxury". But it's hard to complain about time spent on beautiful Kiawah.

• Stayed July 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The island is really worth seeing and experiencing. The overall atmosphere on the island is very lovely with a lot a different services and a overall high quality of services provided by the resort. In our interactions with the resort, they were responsive and tried their best to fix the few problems we encountered.
However, the value of their services does not match the prices they get. While I enjoyed my experience, if I were to spend the same amount of money again, I would probably choose another location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Kiawah island is a very nice place but I am extremely disappointed in a couple aspects of our stay. I have a few simple pleasures in my life, and one of them is having a nice glass of wine in the evenings while getting ready for dinner. Because of this my husband and I always bring a bottle of my family's winery's wine in a little case with two simple wine glasses, cork screw and vacuum pump. This bottle lasts us for several days, so it's not that we are alcoholics or something. It's just a nice ritual that I savor and enjoy.

The first night at the Sanctuary while we were getting ready to go to my husbands company reception, I unpacked our little bar and poured my wine into one of the glasses I brought. But then I noticed that the room came with some glasses. They were nicer quality so I poured the wine out of my glass into one of theirs to enjoy the better experience. I ended up taking that glass down to the reception and forgot to bring it back to the room. We stayed for three nights. At some point the maid must have thought our glasses belonged to the resort because when we checked out today they were gone.

I understood this to easily happen, but considering the high expense of the resort, and especially the extremely high prices of everything you have to do while there, such as eating, drinking, and activities, I fully expected the resort management to accommodate us with some replacement glasses for our trip.

Instead the manager on duty instructed the reception staff person to tell us they have to spend a couple days looking for our glasses and would have to send them to us. I said they weren't expensive or special glasses, just glass travel wine glasses,and the point was, we needed them while traveling. No matter how much I tried to explain my point, it didn't matter. I couldn't have simply taken the glass from the room, but my principals won't let me do that.

Why didn't they just give us a couple glasses for our trip? It would have been the simple, gracious thing to do. But it just goes par for the course at Kiawah. They nickel and dime you on everything...$14 for a cocktail...extreme high prices on so so food at Jasmine Porch. I got the low country sampler, and it arrived seeming like it was plated in advance. The dishes did not seem freshly prepared.

We spent about $600.00 at Kiawah on resort services for a three night stay. This does NOT include our room charge. And we did not play the Ocean course..only none holes at Osprey because we got rained out. We did not eat at the most expensive restaurants like the Ocean room or the Atlantic room. Just small incidentals mostly, lunch at the pool, dinner one night at jasmine porch, coffee and muffins at the ice cream shop for breakfast.

It's not about the money. It's about principal of gracious hospitality that would should expect at a resort such as this. But the resort is not gracious. They are after your money. They keep options limited on he island so you have to buy from them for everything. And they charge a lot. And then when one of their maids removes personal items from your room, they do not make it right, right away. I wish I had gone against my principals and raced my missing glasses with the glasses that came in our room. At least then I would have been able to enjoy my wine this evening in something other than a plastic cup in the next hotel on the road. But I do have principals, which apparently are not shared by Kiawah Island resort.

Also, the resort seems ready for a renovation. I noticed when we pulled up that the exterior is looking worn in places, and when we got to our room there was a red wine stain on our carpet and mold in the shower grout. I spoke to the bell man about the wine stain and he just said he thought it would be hard to get out. It's time to replace the carpet. You don't expect large stains in the room of this level of resort. Also, my husband and I continually commented to each other how uncomfortable the bed was. Instead of a nice flat surface to sleep on, there are two depressions that your bodies fit in.

We also wished that there was a video library or Internet rental service such as Netflix or amazon, where you could have a better selection of movies and tv series.

It's a beautiful location and a lovely building in general, but the lack of hospitality overtly demonstrated by our wine glass incident, and underlying in the highway robbery they commit with exorbitant prices for everything you need while there clouds my whole review.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Colts Neck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Excellent family vacation. The family was introduced to golf and with outstanding instruction, they now want to make golf a part of their lives. They loved being able to bike everywhere. They loved the warm relatively calm ocean. Restaurants were outstanding.

Room Tip: Wanted to be in the East Beach closer to the golf learning center and conference hall.