“Island is a piece of paradise.... resort expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Kiawah Island Golf Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   12 Kiawah Beach Dr., Kiawah Island, SC 29455   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Island is a piece of paradise.... resort expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The island is really worth seeing and experiencing. The overall atmosphere on the island is very lovely with a lot a different services and a overall high quality of services provided by the resort. In our interactions with the resort, they were responsive and tried their best to fix the few problems we encountered.
However, the value of their services does not match the prices they get. While I enjoyed my experience, if I were to spend the same amount of money again, I would probably choose another location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Kiawah island is a very nice place but I am extremely disappointed in a couple aspects of our stay. I have a few simple pleasures in my life, and one of them is having a nice glass of wine in the evenings while getting ready for dinner. Because of this my husband and I always bring a bottle of my family's winery's wine in a little case with two simple wine glasses, cork screw and vacuum pump. This bottle lasts us for several days, so it's not that we are alcoholics or something. It's just a nice ritual that I savor and enjoy.

The first night at the Sanctuary while we were getting ready to go to my husbands company reception, I unpacked our little bar and poured my wine into one of the glasses I brought. But then I noticed that the room came with some glasses. They were nicer quality so I poured the wine out of my glass into one of theirs to enjoy the better experience. I ended up taking that glass down to the reception and forgot to bring it back to the room. We stayed for three nights. At some point the maid must have thought our glasses belonged to the resort because when we checked out today they were gone.

I understood this to easily happen, but considering the high expense of the resort, and especially the extremely high prices of everything you have to do while there, such as eating, drinking, and activities, I fully expected the resort management to accommodate us with some replacement glasses for our trip.

Instead the manager on duty instructed the reception staff person to tell us they have to spend a couple days looking for our glasses and would have to send them to us. I said they weren't expensive or special glasses, just glass travel wine glasses,and the point was, we needed them while traveling. No matter how much I tried to explain my point, it didn't matter. I couldn't have simply taken the glass from the room, but my principals won't let me do that.

Why didn't they just give us a couple glasses for our trip? It would have been the simple, gracious thing to do. But it just goes par for the course at Kiawah. They nickel and dime you on everything...$14 for a cocktail...extreme high prices on so so food at Jasmine Porch. I got the low country sampler, and it arrived seeming like it was plated in advance. The dishes did not seem freshly prepared.

We spent about $600.00 at Kiawah on resort services for a three night stay. This does NOT include our room charge. And we did not play the Ocean course..only none holes at Osprey because we got rained out. We did not eat at the most expensive restaurants like the Ocean room or the Atlantic room. Just small incidentals mostly, lunch at the pool, dinner one night at jasmine porch, coffee and muffins at the ice cream shop for breakfast.

It's not about the money. It's about principal of gracious hospitality that would should expect at a resort such as this. But the resort is not gracious. They are after your money. They keep options limited on he island so you have to buy from them for everything. And they charge a lot. And then when one of their maids removes personal items from your room, they do not make it right, right away. I wish I had gone against my principals and raced my missing glasses with the glasses that came in our room. At least then I would have been able to enjoy my wine this evening in something other than a plastic cup in the next hotel on the road. But I do have principals, which apparently are not shared by Kiawah Island resort.

Also, the resort seems ready for a renovation. I noticed when we pulled up that the exterior is looking worn in places, and when we got to our room there was a red wine stain on our carpet and mold in the shower grout. I spoke to the bell man about the wine stain and he just said he thought it would be hard to get out. It's time to replace the carpet. You don't expect large stains in the room of this level of resort. Also, my husband and I continually commented to each other how uncomfortable the bed was. Instead of a nice flat surface to sleep on, there are two depressions that your bodies fit in.

We also wished that there was a video library or Internet rental service such as Netflix or amazon, where you could have a better selection of movies and tv series.

It's a beautiful location and a lovely building in general, but the lack of hospitality overtly demonstrated by our wine glass incident, and underlying in the highway robbery they commit with exorbitant prices for everything you need while there clouds my whole review.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Colts Neck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Excellent family vacation. The family was introduced to golf and with outstanding instruction, they now want to make golf a part of their lives. They loved being able to bike everywhere. They loved the warm relatively calm ocean. Restaurants were outstanding.

Room Tip: Wanted to be in the East Beach closer to the golf learning center and conference hall.
Hamilton, Ohio, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My family is staying in Mariners Watch right now. Our villa is great -- one block to beach and to pols/Night Heron Park. But I have been profoundly disappointed in the service I have encountered in the various resort restaurants and facilities. It began when we first arrived and encountered rry rude treatment by e security officers at the front gate, where we had to stop to get a temporary parking pass. I wrote an email complaining about this on Monday but have yet to receive a reply on Thursday. The service in the restaurants has been extremely slow. I might have see it as leisurely if it we did not have a small child who was hungry and then anxious to leave. The final straw tonight was going to to the East Beach Town Center to pick up a family fried chicken meal. Despite arriving at 6 (early, I would think), they were out of chicken breasts. Rather than try to make this right in some way (coming up with alternatives, discounting the meal in some way), I was met with bored indifference. I ended up paying more to try to buy separate meals for everyone. I highly recommend avoiding the food and the resort and going out to Freshfields. For a place this expensive, I expect better treatment.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MikeVegis01, Manager at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

I want to sincerely apologize about your disappointment with our service in several areas of the resort and the lack of response to the email you sent us. I would appreciate the chance to email or speak with you directly regarding your experience in more detail so I can immediately address the issues with our team.

Sarah Morgan
Director of Guest Service
Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Email: sarah_morgan@kiawahresort.com
Phone: (843)768-2845
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I went here for a conference and it was like a gift. A very clean, well kept, upscale resort for unlimited number of adult and children's activities.
The service was outstanding, the accommodations were excellent and elegant. I can't wait to go back to the same conference just to return to this place!!

Room Tip: Scenic view does not mean "ocean view" make sure you ask.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My favorite place in the world, made even better by the service mentality of the staff.
Golf is great, with the instructors at Turtle Point very focused on your enjoyment of the game.
Beach is fabulous, with the island having great natural beauty and wildlife.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Colts Neck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

While visiting friends who live on the island, I had the opportunity to play the River Course twice. First, the facilities leave nothing to be desired. The resturant had a varied lunch menu and a nice selection of beers. The wait staff was very friendly and knowledgable. Secondly, the course was challenging but fair. Due to the temperature, there were coolers every third hole with ice water and towels in ice. The 15th tee was unique to say the least. A staff member was manning a refreshment stand where you could choose rum, vodka or gin punch. If that wasn't enough, there was a shrimp gestpacho with fresh guacamole and fresh cookies. Coming off the 18th green you're met by another staff member who provides everyone with water and scented iced towels. In all candor however, some of these items were a little over he top but for the cost of membership and or daily fees management needs to do something "unique".

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!