“Don't Stay at Tennis Club Villas.” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   12 Kiawah Beach Dr., Kiawah Island, SC 29455   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Kiawah Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Don't Stay at Tennis Club Villas.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have been to Kiawah a number of times over the years, and have always been impressed by its fantastic beach and unique natural setting. This time, my wife and I opted for one of the less expensive Tennis Club Villas. While the staff was extremely polite and professional, and the natural beauty of Kiawah has remained unchanged, I must say we were unimpressed by our accommodations. Our first floor villa was showing its age, especially the windows, two of which had fogged over due to broken seals. More disappointing was the cockroach problem; I had to kill three on our last night there. The staff will tell you that the “palmetto bugs” are an unfortunate downside of the proximity to nature, but I bet the guests in the much pricier Sanctuary Hotel weren’t having to whack anything scurrying across their walls. We should also mention that the staff was nice enough to send us a little anniversary gift box, but the person who delivered it knocked on the door while I was out and my wife was in the bathroom and couldn’t hear the knock. After nobody answered the door, he came into the room to deliver it, thus scaring my wife half to death. We were shocked by the violation of our privacy, and the situation could have been prevented with a simple phone call. Also, we left a small item behind in our room, but were told when we called to ask about it that housekeeping had not found it ... not sure how it would simply disappear.

After discussing the privacy issue with one of the staff, we felt our concerns were not being communicated to management, as other staffers we talked to at checkout were not familiar with what had happened. As such, we thought posting our concerns here would help them address the problems.

Overall, we’re not going to tell you that a visit to Kiawah isn’t a worthwhile and unique experience – it is – but we would not stay at the Tennis Club Villas again, and would caution the management to pay better attention to the fundamentals.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband & I recently celebrated his birthday at the Sanctuary at Kiawah and had an amazing time. Our accommodations were spacious, clean and beautiful. The staff was very attentive and friendly - nearly every employee that we encountered wished my husband a happy birthday! We played two rounds of golf and the courses were in pristine condition. The beach is beautiful and we enjoyed biking on the compact sand, with easy bike rentals right at the hotel. Every meal we had was delicious. Our only complaint is that The Ocean Room seems to be having some difficulty getting food out in a reasonable amount of time........we waited an hour for our entrees, unfortunately on my husband's birthday. It had gotten so late by the time our food arrived that we were almost too tired to really enjoy our meal. That being said, it was all delicious. The next night we went back to the Ocean Room bar for dinner, thinking the night before was perhaps an off night for the kitchen, and also wanting to try their sushi........but encountered the same thing, unreasonably slow service out of the kitchen! After waiting 50 minutes for our sushi dinner from the time we ordered, we simply walked out. I do want to clarify that it was just a kitchen problem and that both nights the wait staff was very professional and attentive. And, we were not charged for anything from our second evening at the restaurant, not even the bottle of wine we consumed. We would definitely like to return to Kiawah again and are hoping management can get this issue with The Ocean Room resolved.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lebanon, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was the best hotel/resort my husband and I have ever experienced to celebrate our wedding anniversary ( about a week earlier than the actual date).We stayed from 9/17 - 9/21 and had reserved an oceanfront room - a big splurge for us.
Surprise!!...when we checked in on that Monday the 17th the man at the reception desk welcomed us for our anniversary and told us we were being upgraded to an oceanfront suite!
Upon entering our "suite" we were in awe! It had a full entryway, 3 balconies, 2 full bathrooms, and full living area separate from the huge bedroom. I presume it was mainly due to the hotel not being fully booked, whatever reason- it was the best - like winning the lottery!
That night our maid came in and prepared our bed with a rose-petal heart, and we received a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. The bed was extremely comfortable and each night we received a fresh bottle of water and cookies. The "master" bathroom was huge - each side had a sink and all the bath essentials you could ever want- the shower was enormous and had an overhead "rain" shower head and another removable shower head with powerful spray. The spa tub was also decked out with all you needed for a relaxing bath too. It was really nice to have the 2 bathrooms.
The adult pool was well staffed and they prepared your chaise lounge with fresh towel covers and then made a pillow for your head, and were always there for your every need ( by the way excellent smoothies with or without alcohol, I loved the mix of peach and mango!) Pool of course was heated and then there is a separate pool with watering central fountain for the kids/families.
The day my husband went to play golf at the Osprey Point course ( he decided not to golf the Oceanfront course because you must have a caddy) he played by himself - there was hardly anyone on the course and he loved it because he wasn't rushed and could take his time and enjoy the scenery. I stayed back to walk the beach and early that morning there were about 80 baby loggerhead turtles that had left their nest to find the ocean, well they were going the wrong way so I was there while a few guests, beach patrol and hotel staff "rescued" the turtles and I got to see them head off to the ocean. At the same time I got to see an alligator IN the Atlantic ocean- have pictures to prove it and if I was techno savy would share them with you, but alas I am not.
We had dinner at the Cherrywood Ale & BBQ house over at Osprey - best prices and food for the restaurant choices. My meal cost less than the one lemon drop martini I had (although it was very good!). Our anniversary dinner was outstanding at the Oceanfront Room in the hotel - expect to pay - but the food - atmosphere - view is outstanding, and service was impeccable.
I have NEVER written an online recommendation and we have been to many hotels, resorts, both here in the U.S.A. and Canada, and we lived in Europe and traveled extensively for 3 years.
But the Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island is worth my time and effort to recommend ( although I hate to encourage crowds to go there because I loved that we had the hotel mostly to ourselves it seemed!)
I want to thank the staff so much for such wonderful southern hospitality. You treat eveyone like royalty and are to be commended on your performance of your positions.
And if Virgil ever reads this ( you took our luggage down at our departure and we had a great conversation about football - my NY GIants had just beat the Panthers and we were headed to my husband's alma mater Missouri football game against your USC - well we didn't win Virgil but thanks for giving us hope with the prediction that we might!)
I recommend The Sanctuary Hotel to anyone who wants to spend the money and have a fantastic experience - this was so far in our lives - the best vacation/celebration of our anniversary ever.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed here for a week in July... Excellent facilities and private beach. Good business faculties too. Only downside is that it's very family orientated - full of families with kids - and temperature and humidity in July. Otherwise food and service immaculate, large luxurious rooms.

• Stayed July 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I recently attended a 2-day conference at The Sanctuary. My room was very elegant, spacious and comfortable. The conference cocktail receptions and meals were some of the best I have experienced. The spa and fitness centers are fantastic! The pool areas were great and the beach is just beautiful. My time here was way too short and I can't wait to return for a true vacation!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Enjoyed such an amazing experience at the Sanctuary/Kiawah Island Resort. From the housekeepers, to guest relations to beach crew, Kiawah team members certainly know how to take care of customers. So many different activities available on the island. I particularly enjoyed biking on the trails and beach. I can't thank you enough for such a great vacation.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms that face the middle green between the east and west wings are awesome!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We recently celebrated a friend's wedding at the Cassique Golf Club and stayed for the holiday weekend in the Turtlecove villas and Parkside villas. Both were extraordinary accommodations; both felt almost better than being home. Granite counters, plush towels, beautiful bed linens. Shelves were stocked with piles of books, and the kitchen had more than enough dishes, pots and pans. Best of all was the quiet serenity despite being in a villa setting. Both villas were on the ponds, surrounded by huge trees dotted with bird feeders, lush ferns. You truly felt like you were in the country. Miles of paved trails make it great for cycling everywhere. Enormous pools with crazy water features (think serious water park) will keep the kids happy for days on end. If you want to take your kids to a place where they can be entertained with a beach, swimming pools, fishing, boating, biking and you want to just sit back and relax, look no further. You'll unplug and unwind. Yes, this comes with a somewhat steep price tag, but as other reviewers have said, better to stay here a few days than Disney for a week. Plus you're 45 mins from downtown Charleston if you need a night on the town. Couldn't have been happier!

Room Tip: Parkside Villas are more spacious and slightly better updated than Turtlecove. Plus they offer priva...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Share your experiences!