“Changing?” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Charleston, South Carolina
“Changing?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I rated the restaurant Average, but I hope that it will rate Very Good in the future.

I used to go to El Mercadito with friends almost every week, but we now go there with less frequency because of conflicting schedules, etc. The food always has been good, but I am not sure that it is as consistently good as it used to be. On the other hand, the chips and salsa were excellent when we were there two days ago, and the chile verde was perfect. It could be that we have been there on "down" days. Give it a try.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Awhile back friends recommended El Mercadito as a great authentic local Mexican resturant. We finally had a chance to head out but almost changed our minds based on the most recent (not so great) review. We decided to give it a shot anyway and we were glad we took the chance. Maybe the other reviews have been taken seriously by the owner because we had a good experience. The restaurant appeared clean to me. The chicken tacos were full of tasty, flavorful shredded chicken. The salsa had a nice flavor and just the right amount of heat. The vegetarian fajitas were delicious. The beans and rice could have been warmer but it wasn't a big deal. We'd absolutely go there again for a casual laid back night out.

Visited August 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Owners Need to Circle The Wagons Losing Appeal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I love Mexican food. I could eat it 3 times a week! I have frequented this place at least once a week for 7 years! Lately I notice things are not quite as good. First the salsa recipe changed. It has lost some of its spiciness and acidity. It tastes like a can of tomato sauce. I have told the staff but nobody seems to listen. The chips were stale last night. The worst part and reason I was compelled to write a review was my main mean. I ordered Pollo Ranchero, a frequent favorite. It was disgusting! It was so bad at first I thought maybe the meat was tainted. Then after a second bite I realized the cook tried to cook with wine. He did not cook out the alcohol. I expressed my concerns to the staff. I was not offered a replacement or alternative. She did discount the bill by 1/2 because when she came to remove the plate she could see I wasn't eating that mess. Step it up El Merc or I am going to have to find another Taqueria to get my mexican fix!

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“I hate to say this, but...they ran out of silverware--bad night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We brought visiting family here on a weeknight, and had an incredibly bad experience. It was busy but not packed, service wasn't terrific, but we were relaxing anyway. Unfortunately, something back of the house was broken--the food was cold and not good, and got colder--there was no clean silverware to eat it with--so we sat for ten minutes until the dishwasher caught up. My favorite poblano was cooked to moccasin-like consistency, which added insult to injury. I really hate to write this, but in the interest of fairness, have to.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“FUN, CHEAP, AND CHEERFUL!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is an easy spot for families as well as couples. Great service, wonderful food, easy atmosphere. A local favorite for a good reason. Be prepared to relax and take time to smell chips and salsa!

• Visited March 2013