“Absolutely delicious dinner.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Traverse City, Michigan
“Absolutely delicious dinner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Charming, even though it was a bit expensive. Our fresh fish dinner was delicious. Bread was baked fresh. (Service was slow, however.) Convenient location.

Visited June 2012

78% Recommend
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Decent Food + Terrible Service = First and Last Visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We vacation in Seabrook Island every summer. We are two couples each with toddler children and had read that Lucy's was very family friendly.Some of the past TA reviews we read were mixed but we decided to give it a go.

We made an early reservation to beat the crowd and were seated very quickly. The meal went downhill from there. It took nearly 15 minutes for the waitress to take our order and nearly 30 before our appetizers arrived. Because we had children with us, we asked them to bring the kids' meals out as soon as possible. When they arrived (basic spaghetti with red sauce) the food was inedible. The pasta was sticky and the chicken in the sauce was bland, chewy and flavorless. Luckily, we'd brought snacks for the kids so they hung in there.

Our entrees took another 45 minutes to arrive after our appetizers. There was no explanation from the waitress about the hold up or ETA for when we could expect our meal. Thank God our children were well behaved because as we looked around there were people who had arrived after us who were eating and or/ finishing up their meals.

Now about the food - two of us had prime rib and two of us had seafood.
The food itself was good but not outstanding. I had scallops which were cooked well with a nice lemon butter sauce but gritty from not being cleaned properly. My husband liked his prime rib very much. It had a nice seared crust on the outside and was juicy and flavorful.

Our total bill was just shy of $200 with only one person having a single glass of wine. Now anyone who visits this area knows that you can get great food for a not alot of money. You can also splash out and get an extraordinary meal - this is the Charleston area afterall. But If I'm paying $200 I expect excellent service and a great meal. This was not that. We didn't receive a single apology nor did we get anything comped. Lucy, the owner (who was there) and saw what was going on could have at least comped us the kids' meal, brought dessert or something. I can forgive an off night if you are willing to show you value my patronage but not if I get crappy service and you barely acknoweldge me when I leave after having spent so much. In short, it was one of the worst dining experiences I've had in a long time and I don't say that lightly.

Finally let me say, that more than a few reviewers have pointed out the bad service at Lucy's Red Sky Grill. I hope that Lucy will take our complaints seriously and take a hard look at the service and make the needed improvements.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Detroit, Michigan
“Rude host but good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We called ahead to Lucy's to ensure that there would be availability and that they were a casual restaurant. They said that they were slow tonight and very casual just 'no bathing suits'. We arrived in summer dresses for the ladies and polos with cargo / boating shorts for the guys.

The host tried to seat us at the bar and didn't seem to want to sit us near anyone else. (Our casual attire was on par for the average group. The restaurant had maybe 5 seated tables and 8 empty ones. We were only a party of 5, and they were all 6 seat tables) When we said that we didn't like the table he intended for us, he said 'I am saving THESE tables for call aheads' (these tables meaning pretty much every table in the restaurant)

At that point the waitress ran over and invited us to sit wherever we wanted as they were slow and got us to a comfortable table. (The 'call aheads', of course, never arrived, as we were the 2nd to last group to enter the restaurant.)

Said host guy, at this point, just shrugged and sat at the bar drinking a beer. (with some kitchen help, as they were watching a baseball game)

After that unpleasant experience, the rest of dinner went very well. The food was very good. Seafood is obviously the main attraction but a member of my party ordered a steak and said that it was cooked perfectly and delicious. With a few exceptions, our waters were constantly filled (and my iced tea), and we enjoyed a fine dinning experience.

Prices are a little high, mostly because of the area. All the paintings on the wall are for sale, which seemed a little low brow to me (despite the $1000+ price tags), but overall a good restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Excellent salmon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Had not been to Red Sky for three or four years so we decided to try it again. Three friends and I were not disappointed! The salmon was the best meal I had while at Kiawah Island.... Their sangria wasn't bad, either!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Wednesday Prime Rib - Be There!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Lucy's is our new favorite for Seabrook Island dining. It seems like it's been through some changes since 2006 when we started going there, but last year we loved their Wednesday prime rib special so much I decided to make it my "Birthday" dinner this year. I was not disappointed. Being from Chicago I normally wouldn't order beef in a seafood restaurant, but I include some of the major Chicago beef places when I say that Lucy's is the best prime rib I've ever had.

We ate there again two days later and went for the seafood. I ordered a grouper dish and out of curiosity asked the waitress about how fresh the fish was (I'd heard grouper was local.) I said, "For instance... where was this fish this morning?" She said, "Swimming in the ocean." They have an agreement with a local boat captain and he tells the chef what's going to be available for the menu that evening. The chef did his (or her?) part, too, and the grouper was excellent.

Although we didn't hang out in the adjacent bar, my wife and I did enjoy the live music which filtered into the restaurant at just the right volume to be enjoyed but not drown out conversation. We liked the restaurant decor and the art from local painters adorning the walls.

The service is was excellent, with wait staff who really know the menu and seem naturally helpful and friendly.

We're pretty spoiled with local restaurants at home, so I'm surprised to see that anyone could be disappointed in Lucy's.

• Visited May 2012