“Rude host but good food” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Eclectic
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Detroit, Michigan
“Rude host but good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We called ahead to Lucy's to ensure that there would be availability and that they were a casual restaurant. They said that they were slow tonight and very casual just 'no bathing suits'. We arrived in summer dresses for the ladies and polos with cargo / boating shorts for the guys.

The host tried to seat us at the bar and didn't seem to want to sit us near anyone else. (Our casual attire was on par for the average group. The restaurant had maybe 5 seated tables and 8 empty ones. We were only a party of 5, and they were all 6 seat tables) When we said that we didn't like the table he intended for us, he said 'I am saving THESE tables for call aheads' (these tables meaning pretty much every table in the restaurant)

At that point the waitress ran over and invited us to sit wherever we wanted as they were slow and got us to a comfortable table. (The 'call aheads', of course, never arrived, as we were the 2nd to last group to enter the restaurant.)

Said host guy, at this point, just shrugged and sat at the bar drinking a beer. (with some kitchen help, as they were watching a baseball game)

After that unpleasant experience, the rest of dinner went very well. The food was very good. Seafood is obviously the main attraction but a member of my party ordered a steak and said that it was cooked perfectly and delicious. With a few exceptions, our waters were constantly filled (and my iced tea), and we enjoyed a fine dinning experience.

Prices are a little high, mostly because of the area. All the paintings on the wall are for sale, which seemed a little low brow to me (despite the $1000+ price tags), but overall a good restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Virginia
“Excellent salmon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Had not been to Red Sky for three or four years so we decided to try it again. Three friends and I were not disappointed! The salmon was the best meal I had while at Kiawah Island.... Their sangria wasn't bad, either!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Wednesday Prime Rib - Be There!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Lucy's is our new favorite for Seabrook Island dining. It seems like it's been through some changes since 2006 when we started going there, but last year we loved their Wednesday prime rib special so much I decided to make it my "Birthday" dinner this year. I was not disappointed. Being from Chicago I normally wouldn't order beef in a seafood restaurant, but I include some of the major Chicago beef places when I say that Lucy's is the best prime rib I've ever had.

We ate there again two days later and went for the seafood. I ordered a grouper dish and out of curiosity asked the waitress about how fresh the fish was (I'd heard grouper was local.) I said, "For instance... where was this fish this morning?" She said, "Swimming in the ocean." They have an agreement with a local boat captain and he tells the chef what's going to be available for the menu that evening. The chef did his (or her?) part, too, and the grouper was excellent.

Although we didn't hang out in the adjacent bar, my wife and I did enjoy the live music which filtered into the restaurant at just the right volume to be enjoyed but not drown out conversation. We liked the restaurant decor and the art from local painters adorning the walls.

The service is was excellent, with wait staff who really know the menu and seem naturally helpful and friendly.

We're pretty spoiled with local restaurants at home, so I'm surprised to see that anyone could be disappointed in Lucy's.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
McKinney, Texas
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Its been a few years since we have tried Red Sky so when we heard Lucy was back, we drove in. Have been going to Red Sky for about 10 years so disappointed that this was our worst experience. Not bad but very average atmosphere and food. Limited menu (2 fish, 2 beef) and noisy. Seems if there are young children, which is normal for casual restaurant in beach area, that they have microphones-loud and never ending. We have family members with food allergys and no one knew the incrediants-for the price and style you would expect more. Average food, atmosphere and service sums it up.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Neighborhood atmosphere -- great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We were here twice in late May. Lots of food choices with an emphasis on seafood. You'll find Lucy (the owner) overseeing things most days -- maybe that's why everything runs so smoothly. The staff is friendly and fast. The food is really excellent...even the steak -- "don't get steak in a fish place" does not apply here. Not stuffy--a few of the restaurants are insufferable down in this area (Island House--the main restaurant at the Club on Seabrook--and Hege's, are two examples)--too impressed with themsleves to hone in on you and your needs--but NOT at Lucy's. Always lots of specials. We come back to this restaurant year after year on vacation. It is our favorite in Seabrook Island area. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2012