“As good as it gets on IOP” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Boathouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Breach Inlet
Daniel Island, South Carolina
“As good as it gets on IOP”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

The Boathouse at Breech Inlet is one of the top three restaurants in the general area (IOP and Sullivan's). I have been there many times and have always found the food to be consistently good and the service balanced and responsive. I have enjoyed their fried oysters, shrimp and grits, fried seafood platter and grouper. The seafood is consisently freash and well prrepared. The rooftop bar is a great place to have an adult beverage, socializa e and see great views of the marsh and waterway. Prices are reasonable given the area. My other two favorites are Station 22 and Poe's (lunch) both of which are on Sullivan's.

Breech Inlet is also historically significant in that the H. L. Hunley launched from there to conduct the first successful submarine attack on a surface ship

charlotte, nc
“Terrible experience, manager was unapologetic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

My husband and I went to The Boathouse at Breach Inlet to enjoy our anniversary dinner. Tables in the dining room were packed very tightly together, which would not normally be an issue for us except for our "neighbors". We were seated next to a group of three couples, and one of the men had obviously had too much to drink. At least I hope that was the case, otherwise this crass, obnoxious, boorish lout had absolutely NO excuse for his behavior. One woman at his table kept making the comment "Oh my gosh, we are going to get kicked out of here" as her friend dropped the F-bomb in every single sentence, LOUDLY. My husband was fuming, but things really got ugly when our meal was served. I believe it wasthe bleu cheese on my husband's steak that caugt the attention of our fellow diner, who spent the next 10 minutes crudely tossing out ideas about "what in here SMELLS LIKE A**?!?" He proceeded to debate whether it was an actual A**, balls, or "the toe cheese you find in sweaty socks". I kid you not, this went on and on. At one point, the waiter went to their table and actually offered them "after-dinner drinks", at which point the boor ASKED THE WAITER if HE detected an A**- or BALL-like smell. The waiter said no, at the same time responding to the man's high-five and laughing with the group. My husband asked to speak with the manager. When he came to our table, he was abrupt and curt WITH US, and would barely even let me speak to explain what had transpired. We told him we would like to change tables, and he hurriedly told us that he would "try" to accomodate us. He returned a few minutes later, asking "do you STILL want to move?" We said yes, we WOULD "STILL" like to move, and he offered us a table about 6 feet away. I explained that it was difficult to eat over the conversations we'd been subjected to, and that ANYWHERE else (further away) would be great. He actually became argumentative with ME, stating "that's four tables away! You won't even be able to HEAR them!" So we moved. The rude people left shortly thereafter, but our dinner was ruined. We were made to feel as if we were being unreasonable and inconveniencing the manager. (Please let me add that I am by no means a prude, and can drink and swear with the best of them. But when trying to have a nice meal at an upscale restaurant, I do not expect to be subject to a rousing round of "What's That Smell?", complete with explicit descriptions of bodily secretions).
As far as the food, my husband's steak and mashed potatoes were excellent. My Crab Legs entree was delicious as well, but I was rather shocked to receive only TWO CRAB LEGS for $17, with no sides. I ordered the Gouda Mac n' Cheese a la carte, which was tasteless.
Of all of the many restaurants we've tried in Charleston, our dinner at The Boathouse was the most shockingly disappointing. We were thouroughly insulted by the manager's complete lack of concern...he epitomized terrible customer service and ensured that we will never return again. A good manager could have apologized and easily smoothed things over for us, but he made it clear that he couldn't have cared less.
GO ELSEWHERE!!!

Charleston, South Carolina
“WHY is this place #1?????”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

I will admit the view of the water is pretty nice, but many places on the other side of the island look right out on the ocean, so that's just more of the same.

Food wise, this place is NOTHING special. Typical over-priced great-view-kinda-place average food. I will admit that the gumbo that I had was great, but the steak/crabcake entree leaved a LOT to be desired.

I've been to soo many of these places that claim to be "the best in town," but usually it's the lesser-know and hole-in-the-wall places that are much better. Definitely not impressed.

If you want BETTER food and BETTER atmosphere, go to Huck's down the street, on the beach.

Virginia
“Over priced average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

We went to the Boathouse on IOP after we had heard it was "very good food." Honestly, the food wasn't bad, but I would no way consider it great. It was VERY AVERAGE food for an obsurd amount of money. I have no problem spending a lot of money on a great meal...but this was by no means great. Just a mediocre restaurant that is over priced.

Raleigh, NC
“Great place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

My husband and I went to the Boathouse Sunday, Sept. 14, 2008 for pre-dinner drinks and then dinner. We had reservations at 7:45pm. We arrived early to watch the sunset from the roof top deck- it was amazing! Great bartender, Derrick, took care of us and recommended the local "Sweet Tea" Vodka (tasted just like sweat tea- which could get you in trouble quickly if not careful). The only con is the deck isn't huge and you can't really see the sunset from the actual bar area. It was crowded on the deck, but we never had to wait too long for our drinks. You can also order food up there as well if you like. After the sunset it was time for our reservations. We were seated immediately. I will agree with other posters, the tables are pretty close together and with that comes noise from others conversations. However, we were not bothered by this! We actually had some conversations with our "neighbors." Our waiter, Joel, was nice and made some recommendations. Our meals were great, cooked just as we ordered, and we didn't have to wait very long. The prices were about right for the entrees, but I thought the appetizers were a little over priced- four crab fritters were almost $10. Oh well... you are on vacation after all, might as well enjoy yourself! Overall, I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you are visiting the IOP or Sullivan’s Island. We will return on our next visit!