“Dilapidated with cosmetic improvements only - never again - C301” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Port O' Call

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isle of Palms
Port O' Call
You added Port O' Call to your Saves list
Wild Dunes Resort, 5757 Palm Boulevard, Isle of Palms, SC 29451   |
Greenville, SC
“Dilapidated with cosmetic improvements only - never again - C301”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was a family vacation and I am not exaggerating.

This place is dilapidated, run down, needs major exterior work and so much more.

Pros: Great beach, easy access, decent but dirty pool, Wild Dunes, can see the ocean, nice bike paths, easy to reach restaurants by car, Charleston is 30 minutes away in traffic. Decor is sort of updated.

Cons: Dirty, doors and windows are rotten, pocket doors don't work, shower doors are so disgusting they need to be replaced, shower tile is in bad shape with bad repairs done to it, attic access door fell off the wall, the upstairs balcony door is so rotted it won't even close, pull out sofa is missing springs and we had to put sofa cushions under the mattress to get out the sink holes, the chairs in the living room look cool but are impossible to sit in, the bar stools are so loose they rock, the elevator smells like the trash can next to it, the toaster caught our toast on fire (the realty company did bring us a new one), the outdoor fan is rusted without a cover for the bulbs and is about to fall off the ceiling, and feral cats in the parking lot.

I would never stay here again. Cock roaches were expected, but this place is a dump.

Room Tip: Stay at one of the other place on Wild Dunes
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Same as most people, a little worn but asked for 1 bedroom beach front got a 2 bedroom same price. Comfortable bed, lovely views and sound of sea to send you to sleep. Could use some small fixes but I loved the beach and proximity to Charleston. Stayed in I 301 port o'call.

• Stayed October 2010
Clarkesville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

This is a condo in the gated Wild Dunes part of the island. It is a dated/worn complex that they have tried to maintain. Our unit was 301B and looked to have been recently updated with fresh paint, furniture, appliances, tv, etc.....which was nice. The views from the porch and rooftop were great. Loved the pool, very clean, and the wild dunes area. Booked through Resortquest, and they were very helpful and provided good service. Did not like waking up to cockroaches on the floor each morning, and the occasional ones seen during the afternoon. Will definitely be back to Isle of Palms, great beach, good food at Morgans at the Marina and at Poe's on Sullivan's, and an easy drive to Charleston.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

My family and I stayed in G101. It is newly remodeled and very nice!! The view was great from our room and if you are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation this is definitely the place. Beautiful. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Got a great deal on C202 for a few days in August. We've stayed at the hotel in Wild Dunes before but wanted a condo with ocean view this time for a reasonable price. That is what we got through Island Realty.
Location of Port O Call is great, close to Mt. Pleasant (where we ate a lot), close to Charleston and close to IOP Harbor where we took a crab trip (great).

The pictures on the website make the unit look great. Nice colors, nice style, hard wood (laminate floors). When we got there, we realized the owners had put some effort into it, but I was expecting more. For example, there are gaps between the dishwasher and cabinets, so you see the nasty stuff behind it. Same thing with the fridge. The tub/shower had cracks, floors made noises - we could hear the people above us walking, the sliding doors to the patio required two hands to open b/c they were old; etc...

All that doesn't really bother me that much, the biggest issue for our family is that we found 4 Palmetto Bugs (giant cockroaches) in the unit the first two days. It was just really creepy and hard to get over. I know we're at the beach, it's to be expected etc., but we've never had a problem with this before in other places. Kind of ruined it for us.

The outside of the units need a lot of work. The floor was very dirty around the elevator and our unit, door was filled with dirt and grime. The elevator was a mess, no air, windows all grimmy.

Pool was great, never crowded; beach was great. Bike paths are great, very quiet place.

I realize each unit is individually owned; I could have done a better job of finding one I guess; but the outside of the units are all the same - they need work. I imagine the owners pay a lot for upkeep, but they are not getting their $ worth in my opinion.

I'm really not that picky. We just like clean places. This one looked clean in the photos, but when you are there you feel like it's not. I guess for the price I got what I paid for. I would return to Wild Dunes, but would try a different condo complex next time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

My husband & I stayed here the last week of April. We couldn't have been happier with our choice. The location was outstanding if you like some privacy. We had unit F303 which faced the ocean. Beautiful sunrise to watch each morning, and beach in this area of WD is not so crowded. Unit was decorated satisfactory, however, it showed a little wear. This is to be expected since it is a rental unit. Unit was very clean and we appreciated screened porch overlooking the beach. We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Berea, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

For the week we stayed in 304E Port O' Call, I felt as if I'd stepped into an issue of COASTAL LIVING. Casual and inviting in a muted palette of greens and a soft khaki and pine flooring, it was a space where we immediately felt comfortable kicking off our shoes. And whenever our lodging includes seeing the water the minute I open my eyes in the morning, I'm very happy indeed. This is a corner penthouse villa with a screened porch and widow's walk to an open roof top deck overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
Staying at Port O' Call about 20-30 minutes from Charleston enabled us to combine a restful retreat with exploring the city. It was a good value, we thought, at a total including tax of $1097. Not everything was perfect (key mix-up, problems with unusual washer/dryer combo), but we'd like to return next year.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Port O' Call? Share your experiences!