“Racquet Club Villas Served Up An Ace!” 5 of 5 stars

Sale into Summer Special
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern VA
“Racquet Club Villas Served Up An Ace!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

This was our 6th trip to Charleston and by far the best--we've stayed in the city in a couple hotels, a hotel in Mount Pleasant, and an oceanfront condo on IOP. My family and I (3 kids--15, 14 & 10) stayed at the Racquet Club Villas for 5 days. When we reserved, we were told we would be in a deluxe unit above the racquet center. When we checked in, we were put in a villa on Sandcrab. This didn't look "deluxe" to me. So we called the front desk and was told the villa we booked was under construction, but that they could bump us up to a VIP in Racquet Club Villas. (at no extra cost) What an awesome house! Very clean and luxurious. The kids had plenty of room to enjoy their new xmas gifts. Plenty of options for kids if they are sporty. We spent every day playing tennis, golfing at the driving range, and then playing basketball. We had breakfast at the Dunes Deli every morning (Starbucks coffee and generous sized bagels). Had lunch at Edgars (try their crab dip), and went into the city for dinner.
I would recommend getting a map of the resort before you book so you will have an idea of where you are booking. The Racquet Club Villas are located close to the Reception Center, Boardwalk Inn, and of course the tennis center complete with heated pool and deli. Customer service everywhere in the resort was as we have always experienced in Charleston--everyone is pretty pleasant. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — size, decor, cleanliness, luxurious
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — get a map of the resort prior to booking and book a place close to the activities you enjoy
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

1,320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

Beware! There is a MAJOR construction project going on right next door and there is non-stop banging, clanging, bumping, thumping, crashing, beeping, drilling, etc from dawn to dusk. If you want to sleep past daybreak you can forget it. If you want a quiet get away you can forget it. They will not tell you this is going on when you book your room. We discovered it upon arrival. It ruined our trip.

• Liked — Comfortable beds. Nice room.
  • Disliked — Construction noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Find out about construction projects nearby.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

We had a very pleasant stay at the Boardwalk Inn. The staff was very courteous and helpful. Our room was clean and the bathroom was fairly large. The only disappointment was that the evening we arrived we were advised that the hotel dining room needed reservations and everything else on the property was closed. It was raining and we didn't want to wait 1+ hour to eat. I was surprised at how small the dining room was for this size hotel. Everyone at Wild Dunes must eat in or go outside the property because there are only two places to eat on property and they are both pretty small. All in in all it was a pleasant stay and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2006

Aside from the fact that we had a terrible flight to Charleston, SC, we had no problems checking in at The Boardwalk Inn at 1:00 AM (Friday). The problem started at 7:24 AM when the ‘dempster-dumpster’ truck driver, three floors below our room repeatedly ‘banged’ an obviously empty trash container to death. The noise was overwhelming ! As I lay on my pillow the thought streamed across my brain….Wide Dunes Hotel RESORT? I than sprung into action when the Lobster delivery truck’s refrigeration system went onto “over-drive” while waiting for the driver to reappear. How long does it take to deliver lobsters? A call to the front desk did elicit an apology and a $50.00 credit to the room. Thankfully we stayed only 3 nights to attend a wedding. There is quite a bit of construction just out the front door of the Boardwalk Inn and as such do not expect a “Los Cabos” experience on this North Carolina ‘Isle of Palms”.

• Liked — convenient to the wedding event
  • Disliked — Noise around the hotel, they started making up rooms at 7:00 AM, waiting time at breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — It is not a resort. I could have stayed at the Hampton Inn for less.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
The Sunshine State
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2006

When I played there in 1983 it was the best golf course I ever played. When I went back in 1986 it was still a Top 5 course. The last time I was there things changed (for the worse). Now, it's all about the real estate.

The first thing was the driving range. Irons only, no woods. Why? Because the condos come into play. They couldn't allocate enough space for a decent driving range. Had to build on that land. Next was the course itself. Real estate lining every fairway. Condos, single family, townhouses. You name it, they got it. No more natural dunes and nature. The brutal reality of the situation is they make more money selling one piece of real estate than they make in a whole day (or week) of green fees. They are in business to make a profit. I understand that. You should understand that you will be golfing thru a real estate development. If you like that, fine. If not, you've been warned.

• Liked — Plenty of room
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Tips/Secrets — No
  • Stayed May 2004, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
concord
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2006

The bathroom was full of short dart hairs in the restroom, the shower curtain was molded, we asked for a king sized bed, we got doubles,the resturaunt was less than hideous. The waiter, was aloof and rude and when he finally came back to the table to take away the swill, that i was offered, he did not even enquire why iI had not eaten it.We were plunked near the kitchen where we heard the waitresses, and waiters complain,about how awful the tips had been that night. I am usually a huge tipper, but felt like lising on the tip space "don't order the Salmon!"As i left my measley $10.00 tip, 9.99 more than he deserved, i felt like pulling a "pretty woman" and walking by and saying, big mistake....HUGE!!! I spent the rest of my night with food poisioning, on my romantic get away for my aniversary......runnnnnnnnnnnnn don't walk away from this listing, and , umm where is the beach, i was promised? Maybe it was just me with my head stuck in the dirty toilet from the bad salmon................wanda Moroney. Oh yes, on top of everything else they over charged my card three times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed September 2006
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

What a beautiful resort. We stayed from August 19th-26th at the SeaScape condo's. Everything was perfect. The resort is clean the activities were endless.

This is a must for a family with kids. (Ours are 7 &9) The kids rode their bikes played in the warm ocean, collected seashell and spent every evening in Charleston trying out the many many fantastic restaurants.

There is so much history in this beautiful part of the United States. Some "Must Do List" is Drayton Hall, Cypress Gardens, Carriage Ride through Histroric Charleston, Ft Sumpter.

We also did a "Safari tour" through Isle of Palms Marina which was the highlight of the vacation.

I would go back to Wild Dunes it is perfect!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!