“A Quick Trip But Lovely” 5 of 5 stars

30% Off Nightly Rates!
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta
“A Quick Trip But Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband had a trip to Charleston and I joined him for a day. We decided to stay someplace different since we have stayed in Charleston proper before and loved that but wanted to see the beach area. We decided on Isle of Palms. I had never been there and had no expectations whatever. I was so surprised to see what a beautiful resort area this is. We stayed at Wild Dunes Resort in the Hotel in a room that faced the ocean and overlooks the pool and boardwalk leading to the beautiful beach. A wedding was taking place that weekend and we had a perfect view of the bride and wedding party. It was also the weekend before Easter and the Easter Bunny was walking around though he didn't have anyone much to interact with since it was still off season and very chilly for us this time of year. We loved the well appointed room at Wild Dunes that was very spacious and had a very nice walk out balcony and view. We liked the room so much we just ordered room service for dinner and breakfast but the balcony and view had a lot to do with it. The food was good and came quickly. We love sitting and watching the ocean and there was a big cruise ship out there at the very end of the boardwalk that was perfectly framed between the rows of townhomes that flank the boardwalk. They are painted in lively pastel colors and are very pretty. There is a large gazebo like structure at the end of the boardwalk that has a grill and gathering area. The resort has valet parking with nice attendants and a nice but small lobby with very nice personnel that helped us upgrade our room (at additional cost). Check in and out was flawless aside from waiting a bit for our room to be inspected upon our arrival. We enjoyed it and are very happy we found this little gem and beautiful area at the end of the island. Beautiful, we want to go back.

Room Tip: I'd definitely spring for a room facing the ocean and boardwalk. It's just such a pretty vi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Loved this hotel with its comfortable beds and beautiful pools and golf, but..... while the service in the dining room and patio was great, the Grand Pavillion needs work. At one point, my friends and I waited for mudslides for over 25 minutes, watching them sit and melt while the female bartender chatted up a male guest. The perils of hiring a young single woman to tend bar in a huge resort.... There were several other instances of this kind of service but I will suffice it to say that the management team needs to pay more careful attention to their staff. I would definitely go back, but would look at another route to cocktails on the pavillion.

Room Tip: ask for a beach view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Spent 3 days after Easter. The service was wonderful, rooms well kept and the restaurant seemed much improved from our last visit two years ago. We didn't have an opportunity to use the amenities but was impressed by how much there was to do. Great swath of beach and again really wonderful service. Plan to head back in a couple of months.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Versailles, Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

First of all we thought we were renting a condo and we ended up with one room, we only stayed here one night and left the following morning. We had reserved three nights on Travelocity and I regret ever stepping foot in this establishment.
The location is awful. The concierge was very rude to my family and I. We felt trapped here, there was nothing to do and the food prices in the hotel were unreasonable, who pays 4$ for 6 oz of Orange juice. The room service food was good but the portions were small and outrageously priced.
The actual building is nice and the pools are also nice, but the people here were completely snobby. I realize the hotel has no control over their guests but I wan you that this is a place where you do not want to go if you can't stand snobby people. The evening we checked in I went to the beach and someone asked me to help them set up a beach chair, and I did, after i was done they said thank you and tried to tip me, of course I was offended by this persons actions. The following morning, when I was at the gym people were just eyeing me down and I heard an extremely ignorant comment from one of the guests to the other, her words were "Why are the employees allowed to use the same gym as us?". The only thing that could of led the lady to believe I was employee would have been my skin color. I did not have a t-shirt or a uniform with the hotel logo on. Then later that day my sister and I had gone down to the beach for a walk on our way back to our room we were eyed down the whole time. We checked out later that day. I had never felt such a genuine racism towards me, I'd been called names and even told to leave, but I had never been discriminated like I was at this hotel.
Another thing is that it is a rip off over all, Most hotels which are fairly priced offer complimentary breakfast this establishment at these ridiculous prices does not even do that. So I warn you not to come to wild dunes resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Servayvay123,

I appreciate that you took the time to share your review of Wild Dunes Resort. I would first like to apologize that the accommodation that you stayed in was not what you expected. We do our best to make sure that there are plenty of photos and accurate descriptions available on our website especially and other’s websites so that our guests have a clear understanding of the accommodations that they are reserving. Unfortunately, we cannot control websites outside of our own and some times those sites may reference a general “room type” versus a specific unit. I have spoken with our team , and we will audit the listings and images to make any necessary updates to make this more clear. I am sorry that you were not pleased with the location of the resort and our activity offerings did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide a diverse range of activities that would appeal to a variety of guests and promote these activities through our activity planner located on our website as well as through our pre-arrival concierge who contacts each guest prior to arrival to customize their stay. I am terribly sorry to hear that you had some unpleasant experiences with others staying on the Resort. Diversity is a guiding principle of Wild Dunes Resort and we take pride in creating and maintaining such a diverse operation. I truly apologize for your experience as this is absolutely not the impression that we like to leave our guests. I invite you to reach out to me directly at ffredericks@wilddunes.com if you would like to discuss the situation further. Thank you again for sharing your review as it gives us opportunity to improve in the future.

Regards,

Frank Fredericks
ashland ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

A very pleasant stay at the Boardwalk Inn. We needed to get away and recharge our personal batteries and had a great time at the resort despite the weather not cooperating at all. The staff was extremely helpful which included the valet, front desk and the restaurant employees. Did not have time to enjoy any of the amenities but the restaurant in the Boardwalk Inn was excellent. I am looking forward to our next stay, hopefully with better weather and more time to enjoy all the Dunes has to offer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We needed to get out of the cold, so booked 5 nights at Wild Dunes over the Easter weekend. We booked a 2BR Village condo - and wow, were we impressed. It was huge, with a nice balcony (non ocean-view, though if you peeked around the corner, you could see some blue) and a kitchen that's better equipped than our own house! The kids (5 & 2) loved having their own bedroom (I thought I had booked one with two beds, but they were accommodating in bringing up a pack-n-play for our toddler). It was such a treat to have a full kitchen as well as daily housekeeping. We could eat out when we wanted and eat in when we wanted. The resort was lovely - the kids liked being close to the beach and pool and the bike rental place was right across the street, too. It's handy to have a market nearby, but it would have been nice if they had a bit more selection of fresh fruits and vegetables.
The Sea Island Grill looked a bit fancy, but took great care of our kids and we had a nice dinner. Breakfast at The Lettered Olive was for the Easter Bunny brunch - it was fine, nothing special - except the kids loved the Easter Bunny.
Overall, it was just what we were hoping for a family getaway - somewhere that makes it easy to be a family with small kids, and Wild Dunes did just that!

Room Tip: Because they offer so many different types of accommodations, be very clear about what you're bo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I took a 4 day weekend at Wild Dunes Resort and I found it to be a relaxing experience. From check in to check out the resort staff was very cordial and helpful. I had a great room in the Village, I found the accommodations well appointed and kept. I included 2 rounds of golf, 1 at each course and if you're a golfer you will love the courses and staff. I was alone on this trip and both days I got paired up with local members who treated me as if I had been golfing with them forever. I also got a massage one day and Sharon was excellent, would certainly do that again. It was a short walk to the beach and there are miles of walking, jogging, cycling trails to just wander and relax. The restaurant staff and food were awesome and prices were not what you would expect from a resort. Hudson's market is great with food, beverages and souveniers at very reasonable prices.
I would highly reccommend a trip to Wild Dunes, you will enjoy your experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear 174stevef174,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your getaway to Wild Dunes Resort. Our staff takes pride in delivering great customer service experiences and it’s always nice to hear such positive feedback from a guest. I am glad that you had the opportunity to play (and hopefully enjoy the picturesque views!) on both of our Links and Harbor golf courses and found the staff and the Wild Dunes Golf Members to be friendly and welcoming. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed many of our dining options offered at the resort. Thank you for your kind review and sharing your experiences from your stay. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the resort in the future!

Regards,

Frank Fredericks

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!