“Rejuvenating Respite!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Rejuvenating Respite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was our first visit to Charleston and Wild Dunes. I got an awesome deal over the phone to stay one night at the Boardwalk Inn. We took advantage of the wonderful deals for restaurant week in Charleston and had great assistance from the hotel concierge. Everything was perfect - directions - check-in - our room!!! Wow! It was beautiful! Dinner was fabulous. I was able to convince my husband that he desperately needed a day off on Monday and so we stayed over an extra night. Now the transformation began from uptight workaholics to relaxed beachcombers! We slept in, ate a leisurely breakfast on the balcony, and then walked and walked the beautiful beach. The location is perfect but what makes the resort so special are its genuinely kind, knowledgeable, gracious staff. Wild Dunes is special and we hope to have the privilege of returning one day soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony - you don't necessarily have to view the ocean - you can walk ther...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Rita V,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your first visit (and restaurant week – one of my personal favorites) to Wild Dunes Resort and Charleston. Our team always strives to exemplify genuine Southern hospitality, so I’m thrilled to hear that our team’s service met your expectations -- and I’ll be sure to share your compliments with them. I am also pleased to hear you were able to enjoy an extra night with us to help achieve ‘relaxed beachcombers’ status – even if temporarily! Thank you for your kind words and review. On behalf of our team, we sincerely appreciate your time and thought in sharing them with us and others and hope to have the privilege of welcoming you and your husband back one day soon.

Warm regards,
Frank Fredericks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

January stay in a condo very nice. Resort was quiet, beach beautiful, and the staff very helpful! The condo was a deluxe that was beautifully decorated. Beds were comfortable. A great winter relaxing trip

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Suwanee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I went to Wild Dunes for a weekend getaway during the month of January. It was quiet but still a lot of locals who live there year around. The weather was magnificent as it was 65 degrees and sunny the entire time we were there. Wild Dunes is a great place to ride bikes and/or visit the Spa as we did.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I paid for a simple room, and was upgraded to a suite/condo. I'm assuming my room was overbooked. Fully stocked kitchen, so I enjoyed being able to cook. At the discounted rate of $119 a night, I was VERY pleasantly surprised at all of them amenities provided. Beautiful environment, bery close to the beach. Everything was perfect. I'd love to go back very soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have stayed here twice for a business trip and absolutely love this resort! I would love to bring my family here in the summer, as I have only been here in January and it looks like it would be an amazing family getaway in the summertime (lots of things are closed here in off season). The only "complaint" I have is the lack of transportation. Being on IOP its pretty remote (thats the idea of this kind of getaway....so thats not the problem) but it would be really great if there was some complimentary shuttle to the mainland grocery stores/pharmacy etc. If you are coming with a family I would HIGHLY recommend renting a car, because although I have only been here for business and really everything I need is right there (food/bar/lodging) kids/families may want to consider a car for trips into town to get stuff that you forgot/snacks (although the onsite market is very well stocked and reasonably priced) and alternate dining options (again, may have more options in the summer but kind of limited off season). I did go to the spa and while I had a nice massage, the spa facility is not what I would expect from a beautiful resort like this. The property itself is gorgeous, the rooms are nicely appointed, the location with the private beach is excellent and there are pools, golf, tennis, workout facilities - its a great R&R retreat. I will say one last thing and that is the staff - everyone is so kind and accomodating. True southern hospitality!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Monroe, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went to Isle of Palms back in August and stayed in a garden village room at Wild Dunes. The resort was close to everything. Our room was a short walk to the beach so we were able to carry our chairs, cooler, and boogie boards easily. The spa at the resort was also excellent! It was nice to have things to do right on the resort. We rented bicycles and rode down the beach. We didn't eat at the resort restaurants because we wanted to try local places on the island. The room was fantastic because we had a full kitchen so we brought food for breakfasts and lunches then went out for dinners. We drove so we had a car and there is a Target only a few minutes away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is a great place to stay. It is a resort, but not a stuffy resort. You can relax and be treated well if you stayed here for a family vacation or if you got away for a romantic weekend with your spouse or significant other. We found the staff (other than one older lady at the front desk) quite attentive and willing to go out of their way to make sure you enjoyed your stay. We found that the younger staff members are trained to be of assistance and truly go out of their way to extend Charleston hospitality! The amenities are wonderful. You can spend more money on bike rentals and excursions, but we found some wonderful amenities that were included in the resort fee. They have several pools, most of which are heated for this time of year. The beach is a very short walk in the resort's backyard. By the way, if there is an extra fee for an ocean view, save your money. While I admit you may not want a view of surrounding town homes, the neighborhood is quaint and the front and side views are adequate. You can not see the ocean from the back sans binoculars!! You would, however, have a nice pool view. This resort is in a beach town and you will find beautiful beach homes and ocean waves en route. If you like to have snacks and toiletries with you, be sure to stop at the SuperTarget immediately before you get on the bridge on the Isle of Palm Connector.(make a right before the bridge and you will find a Target and Piggly Wiggly) It is not too far if you have your own vehicle, but if you plan a shut in vacation and want your own stash of goodies in your room, make a quick stop on the way. There is a deli near the pool center, but hours are limited...so is the menu! This was the first resort we stayed in that we did not mind paying the resort fee :)

Room Tip: Don't spend more for an ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!