“Beautiful and Clean, but if your not white be ready....” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
30% Off Nightly Rates!
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isle of Palms
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Beautiful and Clean, but if your not white be ready....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is gorgeous and Clean. But this is our first time to SC and we weren't expecting the racism and nasty ppl. The friendliest were the BellBoys, Cleaning Crew and Manager (he offered to help carry our bags and was so genuinely friendly). But the girl who is supposed to greet ppl NEVER said a peep to me or my family within our 3 day stay. All of us even blessed her as she sneezed as we were leaving and she turned her head and pretended not to hear us.

The people who stayed here weren't friendly either. They acted like we were beneath them, no one says thank you or hi or smiles. That's not just in the hotel but the general area. They were just rude and even though my family doesn't pay much attention to ignorance (our child is special needs and were used to it) it was still disappointing to experience.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Frank F, General Manager at Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Hello. As Managing Director of Wild Dunes Resort, I regret terribly that your first trip to our resort resulted in your feeling this way. These comments are difficult for me to read. Please know that we value all our guests equally, and we have our team complete extensive customer service training. Your comments suggest to me the need for a reminder of the values we hold as a company and a team. Please know that I have taken your comments to heart, and I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss the circumstances your trip so that I may assure that the resort leadership has a heightened awareness. ffredericks@wilddunes.com

Frank Fredericks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at one of the Racquet Club Villas in the Wild Dunes Resort. The house was in excellent condition - very clean, great furniture, nicely decorated, perfect location - just a few minutes walk to the beach, hotel, restaurants, shops, fitness center, tennis, and golf facilities.
The beautiful landscaped resort offers a lot for everyone and every age. We love it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed in the Village. The rooms were clean and airy. The bathrooms aesthetic and roomy. The bathroom amenities nice. We asked for many items from housekeeping - extra towels, robes, an air matress, a second air matress because the first one had a leak. Housekeeping brought everything promptly and with a smile. We used the valet service included with our rental and found the young men efficient and courteous. The food and drink service to the beach was just such a wonderful extra. This is the most expensive "hotels" I have ever stayed at, but they sure deliver on quality of rooms and every service you might want provided with a smile. We hope to make this an annyal destination.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a balcony. Sitting out with a bottle of wine was pure luxury.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Wild Dunes Resort is in the town of Isle of Palms; that was the first thing I didn't understand. Also, it has rental condos on and near the beach and some a couple of blocks away (another revaluation). All are nice. There are different levels, we stayed in a standard condo off the beach. It was spacious and fairly well appointed. The coffee pot was a "bust" and the kitchen pots, pans, and utensils marginal. Our unit had 3 bedrooms and 3 baths which work well for us. Most units are vacation homes rented by the owner through the resort. The hotel appeared very nice judging by the lobby, leisure areas, and pool. The hotel is a dirict shot to the beach and very close. The condos on the board walk and beach front seemed to be about the same as the units a bit farther off. All-in-all, it is a nice place for a fun family or group vacation.

Room Tip: For short stays, use the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This past weekend was my 2nd time staying at The Boardwalk Inn. Since my stays were several years apart, I was eager to see what changes had been made at the Wild Dines property. New were eating places, a grocery market, and a spa just to name a few. I didn't treat myself to any spa treatments but I was not disappointed in any way with the other additions I tried this time. It was easily noticeable that the rooms had been renovated recently (new floors & linens) too. While there were scuffs on the walls, the room and hotel were VERY clean. My only complaint is that the balcony was a bit small. But, honestly, that was the only aspect to displease me! From the delicious food in the Sea Island Grill in the lobby to the amazingly fluffy mattresses in the room I can without hesitation say this is my favorite place to stay while in Charleston. Plus the staff were ALL friendly and welcoming. Everyone smiled and greeted me when we passed which is something that is lacking in most resorts. I have been to Charleston several times & staying at The Boardwalk Inn is my favorite place when I go!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have just returned from attending a conference at the Wild Dunes resort. It is the third time that the conference has been hosted there, and I have not experienced the poor service in years past. Things started off poorly when I went to check in and despite the confirmation page from www.wilddunes.com, there was no record of my reservation. After about 20 minutes of calling supervisors, the receptionist was able to create a reservation and find a room for my wife and I.

The room was fine and we spent the night on Friday night without incident and I attended the conference on Saturday morning as planned. My wife went for a walk on the beach on Saturday morning and while she was gone the cleaning staff cleaned our room. When my wife returned from her walk, the door to our room was open and the cleaning staff was no where to be found. My wife checked through our room and was luckily able to determine that nothing appeared to be missing. My wife then called the front desk and reported the incident, after which she received a call from a manager who apologized and stated that a discussion would be had with the cleaning staff about the importance of closing doors after a room is cleaned. Sad to hear that a meeting must be held on such a fundamental topic for housecleaning staff. Additionally, if my wife had not accompanied me on this trip, then the door to my room, left open by the housekeeping staff, would have been open for several hours while I attended the conference. I could have easily lost my laptop and work files which were left in my room.

We checked out of our room on Sunday morning when I learned that the payment information which had been submitted with the reservation on-line was not included with the newly created reservation, requiring me to pay the full bill myself and submit to my company for reimbursement of those charges. This is simply an added inconvenience that would have been avoided if the reservation system had functioned properly.

I requested to speak to a manager after checking out and explained each of the above incidents to him. The manager offered to pay for breakfast for my wife and I, which was a hollow gesture due to the problems that we had encountered at the resort.

Based on my experience this past weekend, I could in no way recommend the Wild Dunes Resort to anyone in good conscience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hello. Thank you for posting your comments. And please accept my apologies for the neglect on our part. I have followed up with our housekeeping leader to follow up with his team to assure they adhere to the guidelines set forth for ensuring our guests’ valuables are kept safe while in their room. As well, I apologize for the error that occurred during the reservation process. The occurrences are few and far between, but when we see glitches in the reservation system, we do everything we can to make it right for the guest. I do hope to welcome you and your wife back to the resort for a vacation. Please contact me at ffredericks@wilddunes.com.

Frank Fredericks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Wild Dunes Resort has everything you want in a family vacation. We stayed within the Villas of the resort. While a bit pricey, it is worth every penny. The villas and grounds are super clean, including the beach area. As the resort is gated the place is secure for bike rides and long walks, even late in the evening. My kids enjoyed the movie showing at night on the plaza---, while we got a chance to relax on the comfy rocking chairs. Will definitely come back next year. This is a wonderful place for families!

Room Tip: The Villas are wonderful, but there are other options if you rent through owners of vacation rental...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!