“Good location, but nothing else exciting.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Directly and Save
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Isle of Palms
SC
“Good location, but nothing else exciting.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Spent a weekend there. Hotel is showing quite a bit of wear, but the thing that bothered me the most is that we ended up with a room with no outside window. One side if the hotel is incredibly close to the building next door, so none of the rooms on that side have any outside windows. That bothered me more than I would have thought. I hated having to leave the room to see what the weather was like, and hated waking up in the morning and not even being to tell if it was daylight out except by looking at the clock. Otherwise, it was decent, but nothing special. Bathroom was so small that a chunk had to be cut out of the bathroom door so it would clear the toilet when you opened it. Shower was good. Beds decent. AC was cold. Continental breakfast was pretty sparse, but staff was very nice. All in all, not a bad beach hotel, but make sure to get a room with a balcony!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write a review to provide feedback about their stay. I am glad they found their accommodations to be satisfactory as far as the comfort of the beds and performance of the A/C unit. I am also glad to see that they found the staff to be friendly. I do hope this guest will return to stay with us, except this time getting a room that offers a view of some kind. I appreciated this guest staying with us, and I again would like to thank them for their time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
charlotte, north carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

If you want close proximity to the beach, this is a good hotel to be in. Unfortunately for people who are lazy to drive out and wants the beach closeby, the price is ridiculously overboard. Even if a group of 4 splits the bill for a one day stay, it's still going to be a rough $90 each per day. You only need to add $20 more to get a much more decent room at a Holiday Inn in Mt. Pleasant 20 minutes away, and divide that by four persons. The room area wasn't as sparkling clean as I thought (I know how hard it is to maintain a beachside hotel as I also work in the same industry) but it could be better. It could use a good vacuuming. The bathroom tho' was commendable.

The continental breakfast was abundant by motel standards and the night audit person was very accommodating by brewing us a fresh pot of coffee when we came back to the hotel around 3am from a night out in Charleston. Parking was sufficient as we didn't have problems getting a spot even if we arrived very late in the evening.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
We appreciate this guest's honest review. As someone who works in the same industry, their feedback is valuable, and we will take it to heart as we do all our reviews. I am glad they enjoyed the location, the continental breakfast, and the customer service they received. Perhaps this guest and their friends could come and stay with us again when it isn't our peak season and prices reflect that. I again would like to thank them for their feedback, and hopefully they will come visit with us again.
Grovetown, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The location is great!! Other than that , this hotel is terrible! The bathroom was moldy and rusted, there were ants all over the bathroom floor! There were roaches on the bed and when I called the front desk to complain, they told me it had been raining alot lately which caused the bug infestation?! OK, so I had to sleep in a room infested with bugs! You have to pay extra to park and walk across the street, no onsite parking , no complimentary parking. The sheets are cheap and itchy as well as the pillows cheap and flat. The place needs some serious renovations. We stayed thru labor day weekend and were charged $360 a night for beachfront!!! we could hear every little noise in the breezeway even people getting ice while we slept! So noisy and Horrible!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms share a common walkway so everything echos and you can even hear people getting ice...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate this guest providing feedback about their stay. I do want to apologize for the inconveniences they experienced. However, infestation is by far not an accurate term to use. There has been a slight increase in sightings due to the excessive rain we have had this spring/summer, something I am sure the clerk overheard from the exterminator himself, but infestation is not what we are dealing with. We are all over the problem and have had the exterminator coming out weekly, in opposed to the normal monthly treatment to ensure this is nipped in the bud before it becomes an infestation. The parking is not something in our power to change, but the other issues mentioned have been taken into consideration. Again, we appreciate the time this guest took to write a review.
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed at the hotel in August 2013. Reading some of the other reviews I was nervous, but the hotel was fine. It provides a great location in relation to the beach as it is oceanfront and a easy walk to restaurants and stores. Our room, 324, was clean and the complimentary breakfast was very good. Other reviewers had complaints regarding the overall cleanliness of the hotel. In general, I would agree it could be better maintained, but it is a beach hotel. All in all I found it to be a good value and would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We are glad that this guest decided to come stay and see for themselves the type of service we can provide. It is great that they found their accommodations to be clean and they enjoyed the breakfast. We look forward to this guest returning to stay with us again.
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Not sure where these other folks stayed who were so negative .... We recently spent a week at the Palms and had an excellent experience. Considering the congested area of the hotel, the drop-off space was really nice - off street, easily accessible and with enough baggage carts that you didn't have to fight for one! The front desk staff were very efficient in checking us in and out, and they were always friendly and courteous, providing much helpful information about the locale (restaurants and driving information) which made our stay even better. The room, while not the Taj Mahal, was very nice, quiet, clean and comfortable, and the maids did a great job of taking care of it. The location was excellent for a week ivisiting the Charleston area and enjoying the beach, and we certainly recommend this to anyone considering visiting the Isle of Palms and Charleston.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
We want to thank this guest for the time they took to write a review for our hotel. It is deeply appreciated. We are so delighted that they were happy with their accommodations and the friendliness of the staff. Everyone here works really hard to ensure our guest's needs are taken care of, and it warms our hearts when it pays off with a satisfied guest as a result. We certainly hope this guest returns to stay with us again when they are back in the area.
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Do not even think about staying at this DUMP!! The hotel and rooms do not even remotely look like the pictures on the website. The owners should be ashamed of themselves for deceiving people. How do they sleep at night? Don't be fooled! You'd be better off pitching a tent on the beach than staying in this pathetic place. We were there two nights last month and could not leave soon enough. If there had been another place to stay, we would have been gone in minutes. Mold all around the room, live and dead roaches, spider webs, cracked tiles, peeling paint, rust, stains of all kinds on the sheets and bedding, soiled carpet, filthy, filthy, filthy. Did I say it was filthy? This DUMP should be condemned by the city. How the heath department allows this place to stay open is beyond me. If you want to be wide awake until midnight every night from the blaring music at the restaurant next door and if you want to see the dirtiest pool you will ever see, this is the hotel for you. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I was so disappointed to read this review. I want to apologize for all the conditions and inconveniences this guest experienced. It is unfortunate to read this guest felt sleeping in a tent is a better alternative. There are improvements needed, and we are taking the measures to correct the issues that we have all the power to control. This guest's feedback was taken to heart and appreciated. I want to thank them for their time in writing this review.
Concord, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was our first visit to Isle of Palms as we normally visit Myrtle Beach. We wanted something different and this place was definitely different! We were able to check in a little earlier as they said our room was ready. There is one elevator and it is soooo slow. The elevator needs major repairs. The constant clanging and lights flickering were a major concern. Thankfully we only used it when we had to bring luggage up to our room and back down to our car to check out. Otherwise we used the stairs which were much safer. As soon as we opened the door to our room we were hit with a mold/musky smell that staff was obviously trying to cover up with the multiple scent clips on the A/C unit. The room looked nothing like what the pictures show. It is very outdated. There was mold all over the shower curtain, the bathroom door, and fixtures. The tile was coming off the wall. Dust all over the light fixtures and cords. The hotel is also located next to a restaurant that plays loud music through the evening. With young children with a bedtime of 9 this was quite a challenge as the music continued on until at least 10-11pm on a Sunday night. There icing on the cake was when my 10-year-old son went looking for a piece to his toy that had fallen on the ground and not only did he find the piece to his toy but he also found a set of adult dice. Needless to say our vacation was filled with questions from him as to what they were for, why they were there, and what different words were. Just the way I want to spend a family vacation!! On our last day there while leaving our room something in our beach bag caught my husbands eye. I had left our beach bag on the floor in our room the night before and a few creatures had made their way into it. I wish I would have thought quick enough because rather than killing them and throwing them in the toilet I should have taken the pests and the dice and brought them down to the front desk and showed them how I spent my vacation. If you are looking to visit the Isle of Palms, I would stay far away from this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I want to wholeheartedly apologize to this guest for the inconveniences they experienced. I am embarrassed by what was found in the room by the little one in the family. I appreciate the feedback from this guest. We are taking all the negatives that we are able to control and working on turning them into positives. Unfortunately, the music next door is out of our control. We do try to inform all the guests that make reservations directly with us about the music. I want to thank this guest for their time and feedback.

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!