“ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!! NOTHING Like the Pictures!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Directly and Save
Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Isle of Palms
San Antonio, Texas
“ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!! NOTHING Like the Pictures!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Do not even think about staying at this DUMP!! The hotel and rooms do not even remotely look like the pictures on the website. The owners should be ashamed of themselves for deceiving people. How do they sleep at night? Don't be fooled! You'd be better off pitching a tent on the beach than staying in this pathetic place. We were there two nights last month and could not leave soon enough. If there had been another place to stay, we would have been gone in minutes. Mold all around the room, live and dead roaches, spider webs, cracked tiles, peeling paint, rust, stains of all kinds on the sheets and bedding, soiled carpet, filthy, filthy, filthy. Did I say it was filthy? This DUMP should be condemned by the city. How the heath department allows this place to stay open is beyond me. If you want to be wide awake until midnight every night from the blaring music at the restaurant next door and if you want to see the dirtiest pool you will ever see, this is the hotel for you. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I was so disappointed to read this review. I want to apologize for all the conditions and inconveniences this guest experienced. It is unfortunate to read this guest felt sleeping in a tent is a better alternative. There are improvements needed, and we are taking the measures to correct the issues that we have all the power to control. This guest's feedback was taken to heart and appreciated. I want to thank them for their time in writing this review.

455 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Concord, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was our first visit to Isle of Palms as we normally visit Myrtle Beach. We wanted something different and this place was definitely different! We were able to check in a little earlier as they said our room was ready. There is one elevator and it is soooo slow. The elevator needs major repairs. The constant clanging and lights flickering were a major concern. Thankfully we only used it when we had to bring luggage up to our room and back down to our car to check out. Otherwise we used the stairs which were much safer. As soon as we opened the door to our room we were hit with a mold/musky smell that staff was obviously trying to cover up with the multiple scent clips on the A/C unit. The room looked nothing like what the pictures show. It is very outdated. There was mold all over the shower curtain, the bathroom door, and fixtures. The tile was coming off the wall. Dust all over the light fixtures and cords. The hotel is also located next to a restaurant that plays loud music through the evening. With young children with a bedtime of 9 this was quite a challenge as the music continued on until at least 10-11pm on a Sunday night. There icing on the cake was when my 10-year-old son went looking for a piece to his toy that had fallen on the ground and not only did he find the piece to his toy but he also found a set of adult dice. Needless to say our vacation was filled with questions from him as to what they were for, why they were there, and what different words were. Just the way I want to spend a family vacation!! On our last day there while leaving our room something in our beach bag caught my husbands eye. I had left our beach bag on the floor in our room the night before and a few creatures had made their way into it. I wish I would have thought quick enough because rather than killing them and throwing them in the toilet I should have taken the pests and the dice and brought them down to the front desk and showed them how I spent my vacation. If you are looking to visit the Isle of Palms, I would stay far away from this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I want to wholeheartedly apologize to this guest for the inconveniences they experienced. I am embarrassed by what was found in the room by the little one in the family. I appreciate the feedback from this guest. We are taking all the negatives that we are able to control and working on turning them into positives. Unfortunately, the music next door is out of our control. We do try to inform all the guests that make reservations directly with us about the music. I want to thank this guest for their time and feedback.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We had planned to stay longer but left after one day here and headed south for hilton head. We wanted to be on isle of palms for an ultra relaxing vacation. That you are able to get but that's all. You can close your eyes and pretend you are somewhere nice.
It was dirty as dirty gets. Owners obviously do not care about this property. The problem is its almost the only place to stay on isle of palms as far as hotels go. So the owners fix nothing, have rude staff but still fill up. They are the only show in town so if you want to stay on isle of palms this where you have to go.
I'm trying to think of something good but there really isn't. Wait I thought of something. The bar next door had a great musician playing and we could sit on our balcony, see the ocean and hear his music. That was pleasant but had nothing to do with the hotel to my knowledge.
Now the bad..... Pool was small and sooooooo cold even the kids wouldn't swim. It was to the point where it may be hazardous and hypothermia could be possible. The staff was rude. We asked for a pack n play for the baby which they denied us. So I figure I'd give them another chance for the pack and play so I went down to the desk. Once the staff finished their own conversation and acknowledged I was standing there they again gave me a hard time about getting me a bed for the baby. Finally they were convinced to at least look and see if there was one. Once she got off her lazy butt a pack and play was found and given to me but it was like pulling teeth to get it. Just lazy. Everything there was dirty and run down. Later we called down for an extra pillow. Guess what. Yes you guessed it they had an issue with this as well. They wouldn't leave behind the desk to find anything and their obviously personal phone calls were number 1 priority not the guest. Finally got them off their lazy butts again and got a pillow.
Did I mention how dirty it was? Filthy everywhere. Inside, outside, the pool area and the beach area. All filthy.
The thing that bothered me most was the owner. No they were not there or at least not to my knowledge and seems the owners may have never been there. I HATE when an owner does not take care of their things or even bother to hire good staff. Ill stop talking about this place now as its just starting to frustrate me that we paid good money to stay here. If we had not travelled for hours before getting there we would have left as soon as we walked in the door.
I can't imagine they have ever had a repeat customer.
If you stay here good luck not catching some disease as the place looks more like a Petri dish than a hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We left Seaside Inn and went to The Palms instead. We definitely went up one notch from gutter to ghetto. Rooms are outdated, filthy, moldy, with a nice lining of rusty fixtures. Staff is very nice and extremely friendly, I find no reason to complain about them. Again, you're getting a good location and that's it, nothing more. Rooms are borderline health code violations, we've seen 3 roaches already. Sheets had a blood stain on them, had them replaced by the staff. In no way shape or form is this place worth one tenth of what they're charging. Stay inland at a residence inn or Hampton inn.

• Stayed August 2013
It is regrettable to read the review of an unsatisfied guest. I am glad they found the staff to be friendly and enjoyed the location. I am glad their request for new sheets were met immediately. As I have stated before, we are looking forward to improving. Improvement takes time, and we are well on our way. I appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

They allowed us to check in an hour early, as I told them I would have preferred they use that hour to clean the room. It looked like it had been weeks since the room had been dusted, the microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, door to the bathroom was disgusting, the headboard and nightstand was covered in dust. When you pay $309.00 a night for a room you would think they could pay closer attention to the cleanliness. I went to the front desk and requested to speak to a manager, I asked her to go to the room with me to see the condition of the room. She apologized and gave me $100.00 off the first night and sent someone to thoroughly clean the room the next morning. i had requested another room but was told they were booked for Friday and Saturday night. The pictures on their website is deceiving, the only positive comments I would make is the staff at the desk was very nice and it's a great location.

Room Tip: There was no restaurant or fitness center on site .
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to thank this guest for their review. I actually remember having this conversation with the guest. The guest was very gracious in their complaints, and I felt horrible that they weren't happy. Upon their check-out, they were again very polite, and I was so glad the issues were addressed to their satisfaction. I explained to the guest that a change was made in that department, and we had a new executive housekeeper starting later that week. I have seen gradual improvements already. I do hope this guest will come back to stay with us again. We have high hopes for the future.
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This place is terrible - and that is putting it nicely! We love the IOP area but this hotel is an outdated dump. Our bathroom was disgusting - dust, hair, and unknown stains all on the walls and the floor around the toilet. Management seemed hesitant about sending someone up to clean it. Our shower did not drain so we literally took a shower in 6 inches of water. I called the front desk and they reluctantly moved us to another room - THE FOLLOWING DAY. The next room was cleaner but was located near the elevator and pool. The walls are paper thin and we heard every conversation, bump, beep, splash, and scream from everywhere around. Breakfast was a joke. Elevator was smelly and nasty.I do not recommend!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write a review for the hotel. I would like to address a couple of things mentioned in this review. I am one of two managers here, and I would never hesitate to send someone to address any issues with a room. I am also confident that the other manager wouldn't either. Also, if a different room wasn't offered until the following day, that would have to be because there wasn't another room available until the next day. We want our guests to be comfortable and happy with their accommodations. It is regrettable that this guest wasn't completely happy with their stay, but I would like to thank them again. Their time was appreciated.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The location of this hotel is very good but the positives stop there other than they let us out of the last two nights of our reservation! To put it bluntly this place is seriously run down and filthy. I have a hard time believing that this location wouldn't support a nice, modern, upscale hotel.
The contrast from this hotel from the other two that we booked on this trip is just unbelievable! It doesn't have anything to do with price either because this one fell right in the middle. They must have just become complacent because the location fills the rooms regardless of the condition or experience. The staff were friendly enough ( if not super professional looking ) but I would certainly not recommend or book again!

Room Tip: If you don't get an oceanfront I can't imagine why you're here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Angel S, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
It is disappointing to read this dissatisfied guest's review. Even though we have lost this guest as a customer, we have taken the things they mentioned to heart, as we do with all reviews. We have started our improvements, and our looking for things to only go up moving forward. With that said, we do hope this guest will give us another try when visiting the area again. Either way, we appreciate their time and feedback.

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!