“Very Convenient” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Isle of Palms
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
“Very Convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I liked how the hotel was so close to everything. We literally walked everywhere from our hotel. It is right on the beach and there are several places to eat right beside the hotel. Shopping is close but better shopping is 20 minutes away in Charleston. The pool is pretty small but looked pretty clean and their continental breakfast was decent. We had a King Suite with an Ocean view which was nice but slightly below my standards.

Room Tip: There are maybe 12-16 rooms with an ocean view. We were second floor in the middle with a view and l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Islander084, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I really appreciate this guest's review. I was glad to read that they enjoyed their view of the ocean and the convenience of having dining and some shopping close by. I do agree the shopping in downtown Charleston is wonderful. Again, I really appreciate this guest's time, and I thank them for writing a review.

461 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Rogersville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was our second trip to Isle of Palms, and our second stay at The Palms. We go in October which is great weather and not very many people. We arrived, unloaded our things, parked our car, and never got back in it until we were ready to leave. The beach is beautiful and not crowded. The hotel is older, but it was clean and quiet. Relaxing was all we wanted. We ate at the places next door and the pizza shop across the street. The hotel provided an adequate breakfast. When we were ready to leave, our car didn't start, but no problem. A fireman, at the firehouse nearby, gave us a hand and we were off in ten minutes. Friendly people, uncrowded beach, and relaxation made it a great experience. Maybe not the most exciting place for the young people, but just perfect for us.

Room Tip: We were in a partial view. It was great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Islander084, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
I want to start out with thanking this guest for being a repeat guest. I was so delighted to read that this guest again enjoyed their stay. It is always nice to read when a guest is able to relax during their stay, that is the point of taking a vacation. When I read that a guest can park their car and never get back into it until they leave, it makes me feel good. It was also nice to read of the help they received from the Fire Department. They really are a great group of men and women. I do hope this guest comes back to see us again soon.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

There were only 2 hotels on the isle of palms so we could not be too picky. It is an older hotel and needs updating. The elevator will take you 3 times longer than the stairs. The unloading zone is ridiculous - you get blocked in and cant get out - parking is across the street behind the shops there. If you are looking at a short stay with a short drive into Charleston, it is acceptable. There are not any restaurants nearby but Charleston is only 2o min away. The breakfast at the hotel is acceptable.

Room Tip: The only rooms with a true view are the oceanfront on the 3rd level and up. I would not pay for the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review for our hotel. They were not overly impressed with our facilities, but I am glad they found some positives. I just want to clear up that there are restaurants near the hotel, there are at least 5 within walking distance. There are also a few others on the island that are a short drive, not to mention the restaurants on our neighboring island that are also a short drive. However, driving into Charleston is nice, and there are tons of options there. I want to thank this guest for their time.
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Palms was exactly what we were looking for.,,, a nice quiet place on the beachfront with clean, spacious accomodations and relatively close to town. We found all of that. An ocean- front room with a view which was just what the website photos showed. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Continental breakfast was good. Other guests were friendly, and the room was excellent. Only a few miles to Mt Pleasant where there are good restaurants. We will surely stay there again when we want a beach getaway.

Room Tip: The ocean-front suites are great for enjoying people (and dog) watching as they enjoy the beach, and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Islander084, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I was so delighted to read the review of this satisfied guest. The fact that this guest found their accommodations clean and the staff to be friendly is indicative of the kind of conditions we try to provide here at The Palms. I am also happy to read that they found the location convenient. I am so glad they wrote a review for us and will be returning to see us again.
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Isle Of Palms was the last leg of our SC vacation and it did not disappoint. Beautiful sandy beach. Fun little shops and places to eat. Even took an Eco Tour (the highlight). Now the hotel on the other hand was a huge disappointment. A lot of complaints about this place being a bit tired. That's not a huge problem for me - I mean yeah an update would be nice but as long as it's maintained I don't mind some age spots... when a place is aged. Mold, dirt, hair, stink... these are things that can't be written off as "well the building is old". First off we took a look at the pool. It was overrun by seagulls. I know that they do as they please - they're birds - but a deterrent would have been nice. Also cleaning up their offerings couldn't hurt either. Then we checked out the room. It stunk. Not like a hint either. I didn't need to guess it was mold, since some of it was visible in the bathroom and in the one corner. I took a paper towel across it (be prepared!) to see if maybe it was just stained in. Nope. Came off with little effort. I cleaned it up because we were in a rush to get back down to the car, grab the luggage, change and hit the sand. No biggie. On the way down to the beach, we passed a pile of dead bodies near the back of the building. At least that's what my nose though. I don't know the source of the smell because fishing around for stink isn't a hobby, but it was bad and wasn't temporary. Beach was great, Cleaned off as much sand as possible and came back in to shower up. Bathtub was hairy. A few stray hairs are understandable because it happens. They're tiny and uncooperative. But it was enough hair that you can tell nobody really cared to try and rid of them. Just wiped over them. Oh and the room was.... moist. Not humid... moist. So I opened it up and let it air out. Helped with the smell and moisture. I don't know if it's a ventilation issue or if the last person just ran the shower on hot the entire time without turning on the fan. But it was damp. Carpet could have used a steam clean. It was visibly spotty - like shoes off at your own risk spotty. Also instead of partial view, I think "full view of a bar's backyard" would be more fitting. Or partial view if you stick your head out and crane your neck. I've been to the best and the worst of places so I know sometimes you get a flop. I know a place will have it's flaws, especially when coming to the end of a busy season as they probably cut staff (we came a few weeks after the normal 'rush' for that area). But the staff you keep on should really pay closer attention/work a little harder for the money. Or just keep more on if the staff is too thinned out to be efficient. Oh and breakfast was amature. I wasn't expecting eggs benedict over fresh salmon. But I was expecting someone to know what they were doing in the kitchen. Unless you want to hear sweet love in real time, bring earplugs. The walls were thin enough that I could tell you our neighbor's names and I've never spoken to them. On the flip side - the bed was clean/stayed clean. Everything was changed out regularly. general cleaning happened (while we were there - I question if it happened between last patron and ourselves). Maybe the room was overlooked because a real effort was made while we were there - which is huge to me. And unlike bed & breakfasts or a nice resort, location can mean more to me then quality - and the location is perfect. But I'm still giving it only 1 out of 5 because the quality of our stay was conducive to a $80 a night hotel. If the rates matched the property, sure. You get what you pay for. I paid almost triple that. Unacceptable. So unless you start to see a huge improvement in the reviews, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Best room to get - is probably the Hampton
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Islander084, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
I appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review to inform us about their stay. I am not aware if this guest reported any of the issues they encountered. From the context of their review, it doesn't sound like they did. We ask that guests please inform us of any issues, so we can take care of them immediately. The smell behind the building that this guest is referring to was an issue with the restaurant next to us and has long been resolved. I am glad to read that their room was well maintained during their stay. I am also glad to read that they enjoyed the area. I would like to again take this time to thank this guest for their review.
Blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We booked this hotel in a hurry while on a 4000 mile road trip from England, then I read some reviews and regretted the booking, but we were pleased we did, right on the beach, ok, it's a little bit tired, but very clean, great staff, we were on a side room with a partial view, wow!, what a view we had.
I must say, for what we paid, we certainly got a great deal. The swimming pool is a great place to cool down in, it was 87 degrees when we stayed end September, it could do with some TLC like the rest of the hotel, but on the whole, we were happy.
Room has fridge, microwave, hair dryer, iron & board, table & 3 chairs plus chairs on the balcony.
I wouldn't want to stay in the 'inside' rooms with no outside windows, but then you do get what you pay for!
It does say high speed Internet, but it did keep crashing while we stayed.
Also it does say parking on site is possible, but it did seem everyone was sent to a parking lot across the road.
There are 2 restaurants/ bars on either side of the hotel, but at no time did it bother us and we are approaching 60!
There is a lift/elevator to all floors.
Breakfast is ok, we have had worse at some of the big branded hotels that charge for it!
On the whole, we were glad we stayed, the girls who cleaned our room for the 4 days we stayed were lovely and did a great job, fresh towels everyday.

Room Tip: Don't choose one of the 'inside rooms' check what you are booking? The partial view room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Islander084, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am so glad they enjoyed their stay with us. I want to apologize for the internet not working properly. Also I'm not sure where it says onsite parking is possible because our parking is off site across the street from the hotel. However, I am delighted that they found the staff to be friendly and their room to be clean. I certainly hope that they come back to stay with us again soon.
St. George, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The best thing about the stay was the beach which except for location the hotel can not take credit. The breakfast was awfull hard bisquits and gravy was terrible. I did not see anyone tending to breakfast but many like us were throwing it in trash. Staff except for the young gal that checked us in seemed to be poorly trained and/or to busy to assist us. I needed help several times with things that they should have know and they offered no assistance. I talked to others who were having the same results. I have pictures of the dirty window in my room, dust everywhere, broken plastic cups in corner of room, queen size comforter on what was supposed to be a king bed.Noise all hours of the night. I have spent most of my adult life in hospitality business. I would fire the manager because I beleive the fish rots from the head down. I complained to them with no response, so if they respond to this on this site it is all show.

Room Tip: Go back to Mt. Pleasant and rent a room then drive to the beach. You have to pay to park anyway.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Islander084, Manager at The Palms Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
I appreciate this guest taking the time to write a review for the hotel. I regret to read of this guest's experience. Management wasn't made aware of the issues this guest encountered. I will be reaching out personally to this guest, and I want to deeply apologize for the inconveniences they experienced. My responding to this review isn't for show. I want the wrong corrected and I will make sure that happens. Again, I want to thank this guest for their time.

Been to The Palms Oceanfront Hotel? Share your experiences!