“Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isle of Palms
Aiken, South Carolina
“Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

THe staff at the Boardwalk Inn at Wild Dunes is friendly, courteous, accommodating and aims to please - they are very well trained in customer service. Cudos to The Wild Dunes managment who obviously realize that customer relations should be valued and is a huge part of the overall expericnce while staying at any hotel or resort.

Room Tip: You can request an ocean facing room but they will not guarantee.... I've asked for 3 years runn...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed at the Village at Wild Dunes for a couple days after a week in a Wild Dunes condo with extended family. Greatly impressed by the room. Spacious. Full refrigerator. Microwave. Stove. Washer-drier. About two block walk to the ocean. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

A little trouble getting the room as promised even though the hotel wasn't very busy. They made up for it with a few drinks and an appetizer, but had I not been firm, they would have put us in a room facing the resort rather than the ocean. Bar was nice and appetizer (their take on shrimp and grits) absolutely outstanding. To get to the beach from the hotel, you have to walk about a block on the boardwalk, past all sorts of housing units. I would have preferred a place closer to the beach. The beach is beautiful. The tennis complex wonderful. The biggest problem was the "love-bugs." September is mating season and they were everywhere. Other than that (and the check-in), wonderful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family rented a villa at Seascape. The beach view is fantastic with only a short walk to reach the beach. The villa is well-decorated and very comfortable. Pool is small but nice. Makes for a great vacation.

Room Tip: What ever villa you choose, select on on a higher floor is you want a beach view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Our family vacation was saved by our travel agent, Souma, from ResortQuest Rentals. We were renting a house on the other part of the island from an individual. Within a couple days the livings arrangements got so bad, we had to move. We scrambled on the internet and were fortunate to come in contact with Souma. She made arrangements for us, in what seemed like, a brand new four bedroom house on Grand Pavilion, located on Wild Dunes Resort. She saved our vacation!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We rented a home on Isle of Palm in 2009 and found the home to be outstanding and had a wonderful vacation. However when we returned in 2012 and rented the same home that we rented in 2009 we found the house to be very dirty with clumps of hair and dirt behind almost every door in the home. The furniture was found to be old and very worn. We also found the bedspreads/comforters to be old, faded and in some cases ripped and torn. The shower floor in the master bath was slimy and the toilet area in the master bathroom was smelly. The DVD players in the main family room did not work and there was bug excrement throughout the kitchen cabinets. We also had a roach problem outside around the swimming pool deck especially in the early evening. I reported a number of these problems the day after we checked in at the Resort Quest office on the Isle of Palms in which the greeter was very apologetic and stated that the property manager would be informed however, I was never contacted nor did anyone show up at the house that we rented to confirm nor rectify the issues we had. My family and I will not return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Herndon, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My family visited Kiawah previously and had a fabulous time, and we were really looking forward to this trip to Wild Dunes/Isle of Palms. WHAT a disappointment! It was the worst vacation we've had in recent memory, thanks to the folks we were working with at ResortQuest.

We were considering 4 different Carolina sea islands for a Springbreak 2012 trip, and I talked to a ResortQuest rep about the various options we were considering. She steered me to an ocean-front Wild Dunes/Isle of Palms property, telling me (among other things) that it had the prettiest beach. I took her advice, telling her we wanted a place with a "Sportscard" to take advantage of the sports pool, gym, and discounted tennis. She moved us to a different property after reporting that the first one didn't have a SportsCard, then booked our stay. A while later, I viewed the property online and the website showed it to be a non-Sports-Card condo. I called the ResortQuest folks but by then the remaining ocean-front condos with SportsCards were booked. ResortQuest offered to pay the difference for the tennis, but we were out of luck for the pool and gym. There was nothing to be done about it, so we dropped the issue, figuring we'd spend most of our time at the beach anyway. Travel day finally came... When we arrived at our 4-bed condo late at night, there was no bedding for 1 of the beds so we ended up having to "make" bedding out of things we'd brought with us. Other than that, we were impressed with the condo - until we woke up to a construction zone. The beach was being dredged and huge construction rigs ran up and down the beach from 7 am until 7 pm all week long. We couldn't sleep late (one of the great joys of vacation, given our very early work and school schedules). We couldn't sit on our balcony or even leave our balcony doors open to enjoy the sea breeze - it was as noisy as a city street! And we certainly couldn't swim or sun on the beach, as the big trucks and dozers chugged back and forth along the surf line during the daily 12-hour construction period. As a result we (1) got up at 7am every morning, (2) got in our car and drove to other beaches every day, and (3) when at the condo, closed the place up tight. We might as well have stayed at a little inland motel and drove to the shore every day.

I appreciate the need protect/restore the Isle of Palm beaches, but ResortQuest absolutely should have notified me about the dredging (even the possibility of it) when I asked them about the state of the Wild Dunes beach. I complained to ResortQuest and they reported that, when they recommended Wild Dunes, they didn't know about the dredging (despite the fact that I'd made our reservation so close to our travel date that we were already in the "no cancellation" period). Some friendly local folks told me that it had been planned for ages and "everyone" knew about it. That fits with the other mis-information ResortQuest fed me when I was trying to get them to re-locate us, including that dredging would only occur a couple of hours a day based upon the tides (wrong - it ran every day from 7-7), and the fact that they messed up just about everything else they did for us. Finally, ResortQuest said they could refund up to half our money, but they didn't even make good on that!

So that's quite definitely the last time we will ever be staying at a ResortQuest property, and we will also not be returning to Isle of Palms. It may be a very nice place under different circumstances, but this trip soured us on it for good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Phillip T, Manager at Isle of Palms & Wild Dunes Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
I would like to sincerely apologize for the problems your family experienced during your recent ResortQuest vacation on The Isle of Palms. The beach restoration is complete and looks beautiful. I am very concerned about the communication problems, bedding issue and refund questions you raised. As such, I have reached out to you personally to discuss and solve these issues with you to ensure you are satisfied with our service. I do hope that you will contact me at your earliest convenience. ResortQuest takes great pride in our many ocean front properties on the Isle of Palms and we would love for you to return and experience a beach vacation that will exceed your expectations. I am confident we can find the right vacation rental for you on your next trip.

Phillip Tumminia
General Manager Charleston
ResortQuest by Wyndham Vacation Rentals

Been to Isle of Palms & Wild Dunes Resort? Share your experiences!