“Early Bird OK” 4 of 5 stars

(843) 341-2333
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cranes Tavern & Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #111 of 320 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cross street: William Hilton Parkway
Ottawa, Canada
“Early Bird OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We did early bird at Cranes and had an excellent meal - catfish was great. Service was fine as was the atmosphere. No complaints.

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Too many good restaurants on Hilton Head to bother with Crane's Tavern”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

I live on Hilton Head and have wanted to try Crane's for quite some time. Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed in our time spent dining there. I guess I expected sort of an old English tavern decor with leather booths... instead the decor was tired and the place was rather small with cramped tables and wooden straight back chairs. It took over 15 minutes to get our drink order. The server seemed ambivalent about her job. I ordered off the menu...the salad was generous and the greens were fresh. My 6 oz. filet was good but should have been outstanding @ $35.. The scalloped potatoes were delicious and the zuchinni was tasty. I ordered the fried apple pie for dessert as other reviewers said it was wonderful. It reminded me of a McDonalds apple pie with a dollop of whipped cream...tasted store-bought. Over priced @ $9.. Our friends ordered the prime rib "early bird" special. They reported that it tasted fine although it was fattier than a fine restaurant known for its beef should serve. The salad greens were not fresh and the salad size was meager. All in all our experience was very disappointing. Very overpriced. We won't be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Montreal
“Not as good as two years ago.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Two years ago I had the best crispy outside cut prime rib for $35 and it was the first place I went to on this visit. Such a disappointment ... She assured me it would be crispy but it was over spiced fatty and way overdone even for an outside cut. My 2 guests had a smaller cut medium and found it overdone too. Won't go back...I'm cured. Overpriced for average beef.

Btw the fried apple pie a la mode was excellent...just the way I remembered if from two years ago.

South Carolina
“Poorly cooked steak, questionable service, high prices‎”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

My wife and I went to Crane's on Sunday, 30-May-2010. The wait was non-existent which was nice. The bar is ornate with an "olde english" feel to it. The tables are all draped in white table clothes and the lighting is low. The attire feels more formal-casual than casual. The menu is a two-pager, but, be warned, it differs than what is available on their website. We were looking forward to "Sweet-potato ravioli" but this was not on the in-store menu. As for our particular visit, I found it to be less than stellar, especially given the price of our dinner (~$80 for two). I ordered a Sirloin Strip and asked the waitress to cook it Medium Well, but to please be more on the "well" side than the "medium" side. The steak came out about 12 minutes later. She of course went on her way. The plate had red juices flowing all around the steak. I cut into it and it was more medium medium-rare. Unfortunately, the waitress (Annette for those keeping count) did not return for about 7 or 8 minutes. By this time the steak had cooled significantly. I informed her that is very underdone. She took it back to the kitchen. A guy, presumably the chef, brings it back about 3 minutes later. It looked dry and sad. He immediately leaves after dropping it on the table. I cut into it and, there's no pink to be found, nor are there really any juices to be found either. I give it a try and it has the tell-tell rubbery consistency of a microwaved piece of meat. Highly frustrated, I eat about a 1/4th of it and give up. Finally, Annette comes by (again, about 7 minutes or so later). No care that my steak is left partially eaten on the plate. My wife is already disappointed that the meal has gone badly, so I chose to not make the situation worse by causing a scene with a refund on the.

on the plus side, my wife got the shrimp and grits. She loved them... otherwise it'd be a one-star review.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, SC
“Great service and a very nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

Our steaks were excellent and our service was fantastic. They had a very wide range of wines and some exotic beer selections as well. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere