“Best pizza I've had in a while!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Graniteville, SC
“Best pizza I've had in a while!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I popped into Fat Baby's around 2pm on a Friday for a late lunch. Only a couple other people in the place at the time. Took my seat at a booth to look over the menu. The bartender/waiter (maybe not normal for one to do both since it was late afternoon) told me to come to the counter when I wanted to order. Found that kind of odd since menus were on the table, but no worries. I ordered the garlic cheese bread and a medium Py's Pie, which is a more authentic version of a pepperoni pizza with garlic and oregano. The garlic cheese bread came out very quickly and was excellent. Lot's of cheese (appeared to be mozz and cheddar) and piping hot with a generous bowl of sauce for dipping. At 4 bucks, this appetizer is a steal. The owner of the place came in while I was there and started prepping the pizza, for which he hand-tossed the dough. I noticed while eating the cheese bread that the waiter was keeping an eye on me and adjusting the placement of the pie in the oven to change how fast it cooked to be sure it didn't come out too early before I finished most of my cheese bread. I really appreciated this. The pizza, at $19 for a medium (6 pieces), I thought was a little pricey, but once it came and I tasted a slice, I thought it was well worth it. Much better and more flavorful than most pizzas I've ever had. Cleaned up a couple pieces and took the rest home for later. Great service, nice pizza joint atmosphere with good tunes from the jukebox.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Very good food. Great little place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011 via mobile

Pizza was very good. Service was excellent. Minutes from the shipyard / Crowne Plaza. We bought fat-baby t-shirts for the kids. :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oakton, VA
“One of best versions of a Pepperoni Pizza = Py's Pie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

In a 6 day trip, we ate there 3 times, including one take out order. If you have kids that love pepperoni pizza, the Py's pie version is fantastic....with fresh mozz, I'd guess a good teaspoon to 2 teaspoonfuls of fresh garlic, pepperoni and fresh basil. The slices are about a plate full themselves, but remember folks this is the super thin crust.

My personal opinion is that with this type of pizza, toppings should be top notch and sparse so as not to overwhelm the thin crust and sauce. Also the pizza is best, not immediately out of the oven but after sitting about 5-10 minutes when it is somewhere between hot and warm....the cheese and garlic is more clear at that temperature.

This is a very down home, informal diner atmosphere and many of the patrons appeared to be locals.

The meatball and meatball/suasage subs were pretty good.

My only disappointment is that the size of the large pizza is actually more like a medium....we got two large pizza's and with three kids (5, 7 and 13) two pizza's were not really enough, but that is no knock against the pizza's themselves...they are hand tossed in mid air, the way I try to do at home!

I am attaching a picture of the Py's pie...so impressed I was!

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, MD
“Very good subs and OK pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Good subs and pizza shop. Service was excellent and friendly. Subs were very good and a worthy value. The pizza is NY style and hand tossed. The sauce is very tasty as the oregano flavor comes through. Crust is too crisp and crunchy though. It is acceptable but not great. Typical pizza parlor/beer joint atmosphere though is kid friendly thanks to the very nice staff. This is a good value for the money.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bridgeport, West Virginia
“FIRST TIME .... AND We will back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

When we came to HHI we were looking for pizza and stopped at Fat Baby's on a Saturday night. They were so busy making pizza, we ordered sandwiches instead. During our week's vacation, we thought this was one of the best on the island. Their sandwiches were great and we went back later that week for more...and the pizza is a winner too. WV Mountaineers you'll love this food. We will be back for the stuffed pepper poppers too!! You have to try this for lunch or a casual affordable dinner. Love, Love, Love ... BG in WV.

• Visited July 2010