“Delicious meal, excellent wines, great service, wonderful atmosphere!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana

Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
37 New Orleans Rd, Suite L, Hilton Head, SC 29928-4762
+1 843-785-6272
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 319 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Michael Anthony’s Cucina Italiana offers traditional regional Italian cuisine combining innovative presentations and style. The award winning culinary team presents a menu using the freshest ingredients for an unforgettable culinary experience featuring homemade gnocchi, succulent veal,daily selections of fresh fish and house-made desserts. Acknowledged by food and wine enthusiasts and critics alike, the restaurant presents a fine-dining experience combining an award-winning wine list, exquisite food, attentive service and the personal touch of a family-owned restaurant serving the Lowcountry since 2002. In addition, Michael Anthony’s operates a Cooking School conducting weekly hands-on and demonstration style cooking classes and a specialty Italian market. Please visit our website or call for information for our class schedule or dining reservations.
North Royalton, Ohio, United States
“Delicious meal, excellent wines, great service, wonderful atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Tonight was our first visit to Michael Anthony's. We went early and were able to take advantage of the early dining menu of three courses for $18.50. The waiter brought us bruchetta and fresh bread with herbs and olive oil to enjoy as we looked over the menu. Both were delicious! I had a nice cabernet and my husband had a vodka and tonic. They offer a number of wine flights which were a nice option. I started with the beet salad and my husband had the Caesar salad, both of which were excellent. For the main course, I had the spaghetti with fresh lump crab - it was delicious. It was a perfectly sized portion (sized for the early dining menu) to make me satisfied, but not overly stuffed. My husband had the pork, which was also delicious and nicely portioned. For dessert, we had homemade crème puffs and tiramisu --- both were excellent! Our waiters (J&J) were helpful and attentive. We will definitely return on our next trip to Hilton Head!

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Amazing food and even better service...Thanks Jay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have two small children, so I rarely get out with my wife for a nice date. I am so thankful that we decided to go to Michael Anthony's. Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted by our friendly server Jay. He was patient and knowledgeable. We really enjoy great food, but were somewhat unnerved by the menu. I cannot overstate how comfortable Jay made us feel answering many questions with a smile and a great sense of humor. Some high end restaurants seem pretentious and make me a bit uncomfortable. This was not the case here at all. My wife and I split an appetizer and then a salad. Both were amazing. For dinner, we went a little more traditional with the peppercorn encrusted filet and the sautéed sea scallops. Both meals were among the best we have had anywhere. Jay suggested wines by the glass for each entrée that paired perfectly. We do not get out often, so I really just wanted to say thank you for making our evening special. We will be back and will be recommending your restaurant anytime friends are looking for an amazing meal.

Healdsburg, CA
“Could have been lovely”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Last night on Hilton head. Rainy, decided to go early, with reservation. Ordered from their early fixed price three course menu: beet salad excellent, saltimboca was a bit salty, (and I love prosciutto) but still delicious, and profiteroles with chocolate sauce were good. My husband had the same main course and did not like it, though his first and dessert he liked. (Sorry, can't remember what he had.) We have spent time in Italy, having lived for many years in Europe, and back frequently on vacation, so maybe his expectations were just too high . However, our waiter was not conducive to a pleasant evening, so when the check arrived without ever taking our coffee order, my husband, already slightly annoyed with our waiters demeanor, was happy to depart. I, however, missed my anticipated cappucino!

As the rest of the staff was friendly and welcoming, we can only assume that waiter wanted heavier drinkers (we just each had a glass of wine) and no more fixed menu! I would go back, but do not think my husband would give them a second chance. Of all the restaurants in our 10 days on Hilton Head, this was our only server affecting our restaurant experience in a negative way.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York, NY
“Deliciously Fresh Italian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wonderful place to visit - the staff is incredibly friendly and polite and the food is delicious!

We went early and were able to take advantage of the early dining menu of 3 courses for $18.50. I started with the beet salad, which was served with slices of red onion that really added to the flavor of the dish. My husband had the Caesar salad, which he loved. For the main dish, I had the spaghetti with fresh lump crab - it was light, fresh and tasty. For heavy eaters, it was a small portion (for the early dining menu), so it might not be enough for you, but I thought it was the perfect size. My husband had the lemon chicken, which he said was delicious and packed with flavor. The portion was perfect for him. For dessert, I enjoyed some of the best tiramisu ever, and my husband had the profiteroles.

One thing I would highly recommend is ordering a wine flight. I did the "Blondes have More Fun" flight, which was a perfect complement to my meal and which allowed me to sample 3 different white wines. I would love to try some of the red wine flights. They even had a sparkling wine flight!

Fun coincidence - it appears the restaurant is associated with a cooking school as well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chantilly, Virginia
“"Magnifica" by "Diner Dave"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Restaurant reviews often reflect only one experience a customer has had at an establishment. In this sense, this review is no different, except it summarizes the opinions of all four adults in our party, and most of us tried most of everything that made it to our table upon our visit on June 29.

Beyond the warm and relaxed ambience of the blend of comfortable modern décor and delightful background music, and in addition to the attentive service from Justine and Kristian that we all appreciated, the summary of our opinions is that from appetizers to entrées, and from side dishes and beverage to desserts, the four of us unanimously agreed that Michael Anthony’s, again, lived up to the fine reputation it has enjoyed as one of the best Italian restaurants on Hilton Head Island. The only suggestion for future consideration that came from two of our group was for the chef to add more beans to the Pasta e Fagioli soup. Otherwise, our gastronomic experiences at Michael Anthony’s Cucina Italiana were nothing short of magnificent.

The particulars of our food review are based on both our subjective preferences and on what we consumed. Our appetizers included: my personal favorite from what we ordered, the Calamaretti in “Inzimino” (baby calamari sautéed with white wine, fresh tomato, crushed red pepper and capers; the Pasta e Fagioli soup; and, a platter of thinly sliced prosciutto with fresh mozzarella and sliced red peppers. Our entrees included: the Alaskan Halibut Special; the Salmon Special (topped with lump crab meat); Involtini di Vitello con Spinaci, Fomaggio e Salsiccie (medallions of veal rolled with prosciutto, spinach, sharp provolone and Italian sausage, sautéed with white wine, demi-glace and a touch of fresh tomato); and, my personal favorite among our choices, the Tortelloni di Ricotta e Spinaci (homemade ricotta and spinach stuffed tortelloni with butter and sage sauce). A side order of Tagliatelle alla Bolognese (homemade ribbon pasta with classic meat sauce of Bologna) also made it to our table. Our desserts, all of which were excellent, included: Tiramisu Classico (espresso and rum soaked ladyfingers layered with a mascarpone mousse and cocoa); Panna Cotta con Frutta Fresca (Tuscan vanilla cream pudding served with fresh seasonal fruit); Profiterole alla Cioccolata (homemade Italian cream puffs filled with vanilla cream, served with warm chocolate sauce and chocolate gelato); and my personal favorite from what we ordered, the Sformata di Cioccolata con Gelato Vanilla (hot soft centered chocolate soufflé cake served with vanilla gelato). The wine we enjoyed to complement our meal was a Savignon Blanc by Honig, from Napa Valley, California. To the owner, chefs and other staff, we say “Grazie!” - “Diner Dave”

• Visited June 2013