“Just Average” 3 of 5 stars

843 842-9111
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #63 of 319 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This review is for the Gruby's location at 198 Okatie Village Drive in Bluffton, S.C. Try as I might, I can't get TripAdvisor to create a separate listing for this location, even though it is over 20 miles away from the one on Hilton Head Island. They just keep channeling my review back to the Hilton Head location. Anyway, I really wanted to like this place ‘cause it’s a nice bike ride from our new home. We went for breakfast and I found it to be—just average. Nothing special or inventive on the breakfast menu. A lot of noise bouncing off the walls from the chatter and the TVs. A few bus trays with dirty dishes left out in view. Same for some piles of supplies, including (I swear) lobster bibs! Really??? In a Deli??? The home fries here are cut with sharp angles and fried up hard, brown and dry. Apparently, they had been dumped out onto my plate with such force that one landed in my egg yolk and pierced it, allowing the yellow to run out all over the plate. Hungry for authentic Deli rye? This was just the same average rye that you would buy prepackaged in any grocery store anywhere in the country. Every plate gets one generic grape jelly packet and one strawberry—the same stuff that I hated when I was a little kid. The only difference is that nobody at the Deli smacked me when I refused to eat it. The lunch/dinner menu has some inventive-sounding sandwiches piled high with various deli meats, but you are not allowed to order them at breakfast. Again--really??? A Deli that can’t make a sandwich before 11 a.m.??? How hard could that be? The Cracker Barrel across on the other side of the highway is a lot better deal for the money, the choices and yeah, the Dickinson’s Marion Blackberry Preserves.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Manakin Sabot, Virginia
“Wonderful sandwiches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife wanted to have lunch at a national chain. I wanted to try something local. We made a good choices. The menu is large with lots of enticing options. My sandwich was stacked with meat of high quality. My wife order the egg salad platter. Her only complaint was that the egg salad was bland. The waitress was knowledgeable about the menu and very attentive. Would highly recommend.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great sandwiches, and a great breakfast spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Gruby's is an authentic New York delicatessen with a unique array of sandwiches and subs. If you like great oversized deli sandwiches, his is the place for you. It is also the best breakfast on Hilton Head Island.

Visited June 2013
Galion, Ohio
“Real Deli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We always try to go here when in Hilton Head. Just breakfast and lunch. The food is very good, with a true deli atmosphere. Not fancy. Try the Arthur Ave. Sandwhich.

Visited June 2013
Savannah Ga
“was very nice, like family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

end up missing lunch ,so I found this little ny deli in bluffton s.c The service was VERY HELP FULL as I sat in the bar ,I really did not have time to look over the menu until he made a succession the pull pork . it was great , very tender and the bread was fresh . ever one was very nice and even tho I never be their before I felt welcome and like family

• Visited July 2013