“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #127 of 319 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Westerville, OH
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

While on a recent trip to Hilton Head, we decided to eat a late lunch at Salty Dog. There are so many good restaurants on Hilton Head, so at first I was a little unsure about going here - but what a pleasant surprise. I ordered a fish sandwich with cole slaw for my side and my husband got shrimp and grits. Both were excellent. We'd definitely go back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cornelia, Georgia
“My favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

First restaurant we go to Is Salty Dog. My personal favorite love the fish sandwich and hamburgers are good too for people who do not eat seafood got there for dinner and happy hour. Entertainment had just started really enjoyed our first meal on the island Sunday night

Peachtree City, Georgia
“OVERRATED”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Extremely overrated - not worth the money or time. One hour wait, slow service, food not very good and very overpriced. Would not recommend!!! Save your Money!!!

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
lexington sc
“Overpriced, poor service, nice view”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The service was terrible. Drinks were late, the table was NEVER cleared (we left with five plates, eight glasses, silverware, five appetizer plates and several beer bottles on the table), the waiter asked us once if everything was alright (it wasn't...more to come), we asked several times for a to-go box and when we asked for dessert, a piece of pie, we were told the kitchen was closed despite the fact that the table next to us was being served their meals. The waiter paid no attention to our table but was able to make time with the table of young girls seated next to us.
My friends enjoyed their pasta, seafood boil and crabcake sandwich and had no complaints. However two of us ordered the fried and broiled seafood dinner and the seafood, vegetables and potatoes were "cool" upon arrival at the table. Fried oysters aren't meant to be consumed cool! The manager did make an effort to rectify the situation which was appreciated.
Maybe it was just a bad night, but my advice to young and/or inexperienced waitstaff, please explain the situation (I'm sorry, it's my first night...I'm in the weeds...I'm really busy....I just don't care) and you might receive some sympathy (I did leave a tip, most of my fellow diners did not.)
My advice to potential diners...Meh.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nebraska
“Hilton Head Island icon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Located in Sea Pines, or as I like to call it, "Little Ohio" lies the most famous restaurant on the island. Sea Pines, settled by Ohioans and mainly frequented by them for decades, today people from everywhere must stop at the Salty Dog Cafe at least one time. We went for lunch. It isn't fancy, it isn't pretentious, and the atmosphere and scenery make this a worthwhile place to have a meal. I enjoyed the fish and chips. Fried Southern style, it was delicious. I would recommend this place at least once during your visit.

Visited May 2014