“Will go back, but will try something else...” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 320 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Description: Hudson's is Hilton Head Island's oldest and most famous restaurant with 44 years of casual dining experience and featuring fresh, local seafood and spectacular views of the Inter coastal Waterway.
“Will go back, but will try something else...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited Hudson's just a few days ago. Had the Mahi special. Fish was great, and was a decent portion which was Cooked nicely. We were a little surprised at how it arrived however, in a bowl atop chopped tiny bits of sweet potato and ham (with a Tasso gravy). The ham & gravy was a bit strange, and much too salty for my taste. At $22 I think it was a bit pricey, and would probably say $16-$18 would have been fair. The hush puppies were very,very good & we even got a 2nd bowl of them! Also had the Grouper cakes with Aioli sauce - these were fantastic! I wish these were an entree.

I have seen other reviews describing the restaurant itself, and do agree that it does need updating. We kind of knew ahead of time about the place (as we had tried to go before, but it was extremely busy and was closing soon) so the decor etc. was not a surprise. The menu comes as a little newspaper which is kind of fun. Although I wasn't overjoyed with my meal, I will still return. Next time, however, I will order the fried shrimp which they seem to be known for, and maybe even one of their homemade desserts. Everyone around us seemed pleased, and there was a line waiting to get in the whole time we were there. Our server was very good, & drinks were refreshed in a timely manner. Seemed to have plenty of help, just not enough room to put their customers.

If you do visit, try to go early as parking is very limited and can be difficult to maneuver through in the dark.

Little Rock, Arkansas
“Hudson's Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I will be the one who says they love the charm of Hudson's. Built on a dock, fishing boat parked out back, uneven floors, irregularly shaped rooms. Looks like something left over from fifty years ago...and I LOVE IT. Hudson's is as casual, sit down and get comfortable, and eat some good food as it gets. I felt right at home the second I walked in the door. The food was good, and that's all I can ask for. There is no 4 star chef in the back room. Just good home cooked seafood. The place was clean, servers were great, view simple but wonderful. I'm the guy who doesn't like oysters, not a problem, substitute. My kind of place. My nine year old granddaughter felt welcomed. If you're spoiled and want steril perfection, go somewhere else. This is a place for REAL folks and if I get back to Hilton Head, I'll see you there.
The parking was a problem though.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Centerville, Ohio
1,374 reviews 1,374 reviews
2,620 helpful votes 2,620 helpful votes
“Observe that there is potential, if the owner and management might define a demographic.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Hudson’s might exhibit a certain charm to some diners, but we cannot see beyond the old building that is in dire need of repair and lots of TLC.

It seems to offer too much bar influence for our demographic. The service is “so-so.”
The ambience detracts from the dinner.

There just are so many restaurants that we really prefer on Hilton Head. Observe that there is potential, if the owner and management might define a demographic.

Visited December 2012
Barrie, Canada
“OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Highly rated on the Island. So, maybe my sights were set too high. Meal was good. We had the Mahi. I guess I expected spectacular flavours, and received standard fare. Not sure if we'd try this one again. Certainly left feeling flat.

Visited November 2012
South Jersey
“Great Food...Great Service !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Great dining ...great food...great service...and I ate my first raw oyster in over 20 years and it was sooooo good, I ordered a half dozen more ! Oh... I almost to mentioned to my wife's experience.... SHE LOVED IT...her fried oysters were succulent. ! Kudos to our server Stephanie and Sylvester the oyster shucker for his knowledge on the different types of oysters offered at Hudson's...BTW....its a great place to watch the sunset.