“Only if you truly love southern cooking” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 320 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Longwood, Florida
“Only if you truly love southern cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I've had a hard time rating this restaurant because my love of southern cooking probably isn't as high as others might be. I don't want to be unfair because truly if you love traditional southern cooking this is the best of the best. Comparable to the lady and sons in savannah (Paula dean) which I have also dined at. My husband adored this restaurant and would probably eat there every day if he could. Here's what you should know about this restaurant.

Don't go here on a diet. Seriously I couldn't see anything truly low cal on the whole menu. And most of it can't be adjusted to be healthy choices.

Don't go here if you aren't a fan of southern cooking. The menu is chock full of typical things you think of when you think of southern cooking.....fried chicken, fried catfish, okra, multiple menu items on top of grits, meatloaf, pork shoulder, macaroni and cheese, corn bread. Because I've now dissevered I'm not that big into a full southern menu I probably wouldn't go back. But for someone like my husband this is a rare find restaurant. Everything is made from scratch and truly flavorful.

My husband started with this beet salad which the seating hostess had recommended. He couldn't stop moaning about how good it was. Seriously, he said "mmmmmmmm" like a gazillion times as he devoured it. He was in food heaven and I could tell it. He also had the meatloaf and he ate every single thing on his plate. I had the pork shoulder. First of all I've never ordered anything pork ever in a restaurant. I just couldn't seem to find anything I really wanted because I was trying to watch calories, didn't want to go fried, and a lot of the dishes had grits which I don't care for. The pork was a humongous portion. HUGE! It was fine but not my favorite but truthfully that's because I'm not that into pork to begin with. I will say it was better and more tender than most pork I've tasted.

The one thing that I personally was glad I went for was the fried green tomatoes side. These were amazing. So delicious and I've never even liked fried green tomatoes before. If I had to go back I'd just order a side of these and be a happy camper.

My reviews always have to do with whether kids would like something. Yes, you absolutely could go here with kids. Very laid back atmosphere, mostly senior aged diners, but pretty casual. There were only two families in the restaurant at the time we dined. I didn't see a kids menu so I can't speak to this. If your kid doesn't like southern cooking you may want to call and ask. There weren't a lot of menu items I could see my own kids liking except maybe a side of macaroni and cheese.

If you love southern cooking give this a try. You won't be sorry. If you are like me and you are lukewarm give this one a miss because there isn't a lot outside that box to choose from.

Canandaigua, New York
“A Low-Country Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This off-the-beaten path restaurant that's been open for less than one year deserves to be discovered by visitors & residents alike on HHI.
This is a small kitchen that's putting out meals mighty big on taste and portion size! You won't go wrong here with the regional menu choices from traditional southern fried chicken to fried green tomatoes.
We both couldn't pass up "Momma's" fried chicken, freshly prepared with light batter, buttermilk, & hot sauce and fried to perfection and not going past golden brown crispness. Delicious! and with two included sides, more than the plate can hold!
We will return to try more of their delicious cooking again this trip.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“The Best of the South”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Travel Advice: Don't venture out to find most Hilton Head restaurants without your GPS. Like most HH spots, Annie O's is tucked in a small strip of businesses off the main road. Once found, be assured you have stumbled on a true gem. The menu includes high quality Southern dishes. I had superb triggerfish in a tasty shrimp sauce on a bed of cheese grits. The portions were hearty with some choice sides. My collard greens were well-seasoned with ham. Although I passed on dessert, they looked good. Service was friendly and polished. Atmosphere was quiet and relaxing.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Real Food, good prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My friend brought me to Annie O's for the first dinner of my Hilton Head visit. I ordered the Trigger fish over grits. It was wonderful. I also tasted the meatloaf and pork. Both were so yummy I can't wait to go back. I recommend you try this restaurant.

Visited March 2013
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Good eats at reasonable prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our first trip to Annie O's won't be our last! We had excellent fried chicken, along with delicious mac and cheese and collard greens. At $11.00 for dinner, we left very satisfied. The only complaint was that service was slow. Not sure if that was due to the time needed to fry the chicken (it was piping hot when served) or the fact that there were just two servers and no bus staff for about 12 tables. But the food is worth the wait!