“Wonderful!! Didn't Want to Leave!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Hilton Head
South Carolina
“Wonderful!! Didn't Want to Leave!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel was so wonderful that I didn't want to leave!! Wonderful beach, spectacular pool and hot tub settings. Rooms are very spacious. My husband and I had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with full kitchen, den and very spacious balcony. Washer and dryer in the room. Clean and furnishings are some of the nicest I've seen in a timeshare. Covered parking very convienent under the hotel building. Hotel is in a great area....lots of shops and restaurants....some even close enough to walk to. I recommend Truffles....upscale dining at reasonable prices and nice happy hour. We also tried the Marriott's Beach Bash - a $25 per adult all you can eat beach buffet - included free beer and wine, sodas as well as bottled water. Food was delicous, with a Low Country Boil which was boiled shrimp, sausage, corn, and potatoes along with pulled pork, grilled chicken, pizza, a rice dish, and dessert. Plus live entertainment - live singers belting out golden oldies around the pool. people had a nice time and actually got up and danced! A great early bird special location is Red Fish. Not too far from the hotel about 2 1/2 miles.....from 5 to 5:45 p.m. they have an early bird which includes your soup or salad, an entree and a glass of wine for $14.95. Check out their website for details. I recommend the ribs. My husband tried the coconut shrimp and wished he would have gotten the ribs. He's a big eater and the shrimp serving was not large enough for him.

Nice fitness center on the 4th floor of one of the buildings with a lounge for reading, tv watching, library, etc on the 3rd floor. Great views with tables and chairs on a balcony outside.

Can't wait to come back to this hotel!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Hillsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Last week, we had the opportunity to stay at both the Marriott Grande Ocean and Marriott Harbor Club on Hilton Head Island. We stayed at Harbor Club because we couldn't get the special rate for the second night at the Marriott Grande Ocean. The Harbor Club was nice, but didn't come close to the Marriott Grande Ocean. The Grande Ocean was like staying in a newly built and decorated model home. We had living room/dining room/kitchen area, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, laundry room with washer and dryer, and jacuzzi tub. It was pristine (very clean and beautifully decorated). The unit had lots of small amenities like washing powder, iron & ironing board, dish detergent, paper towels, coffee, toiletries, etc. The grounds were beautifully landscaped with lagoon, several pools, and hot tubs. The hotel fronted a very nice beach. I really don't know about the other resort activities because we just wanted a day of relaxing on the beach between Savannah and Beaufort. The staff were exceptionally accommodating, allowing us to stay in room until late afternoon when next lodging was ready at Harbor Town. They also gave us great restaurant recommendations. Can't say enough good things about this property. No cons. However, had we not received a special rate or came a week later, it may have been a bit on the pricey side. As I stated earlier, we chose Hilton Head just for a couple of down days at a resort and beach. Otherwise, it would not appeal to us. I'm sure it's great for golfers and shoppers, but little else of interest, and very busy. It does have some very good restaurants, though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Took my family on 7 day vacation to this location. We stayed on the third floor of one of the buildings overlooking the lagoon and whirlpool spa. Being our first stay at this location I only requested a room with ocean view, however when we checked in the front desk informed me none where available. However I later discovered rooms on the higher floors (5th floor) do actually have ocean view. So keep that in mind when booking and when checking in.

Note none of the buildings are actually "on" the beach, however some are closer than others such as the building that houses the Marketplace and the gym. Each building has names such as "Dolphin" but I can't recall or really pay much attention to the names.

Parking is assigned via green and yellow tags which designate locations you are permitted to park. Green allows total access indoor and out (which we had), however parking under the buildings is TIGHT. Parking my Yukon XL was chore under my building, in addition to the narrow winding driveway at the mouth of my particular building. I did notice parking under some other buildings to be more generous.

The week stayed was a bit chilly, so we had to find things to entertain the family. Now keep this next item in mind. We are a family of four, comprising a nine year old girl and two year old boy. This resort is NOT kid friendly, and is geared toward older to senior guest. Little to no activities geared toward kids. Marriott SurfWatch would be better choice by a mile. But that's another review :) We struggled to find fun things to do as a family; inversely during the quiet times (my son not being two i.e sleeping...lol) we had a great time.

Only one complaint with the room. One night the heater stopped working, and it got cold. Noticed the thermostat had blank screen during the wee hours of the night. Probably could have called the desk for maintenance but it was late and I didn't know long it would take for repairman, or the duration of the repair.

The next morning I notified the front desk and a repairman was dispatched. These rooms have new system where if an exterior window is open for longer than 5 minutes the HVAC shuts off. I checked all windows prior to calling so everything was closed. Repairman told me the system has bugs and shuts down on it's own on occasion, as it did in this case. He reset the breaker and all was fixed. If this happens to hit the breaker.

All in all great facility, but not for young families. It is excellent choice for seniors or even young couples seeking romantic getaway.

Ohh make sure to visit the Crows Nest at sunset, gorgeous views and comfortable room with a terrace. And the fire pits near the outdoor bar.

• Stayed March 2013
Ballston Lake, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

There is no time to be at the Grande Ocean in Hilton Head than during March. It is a getaway from the North with the cold/snow and ice. It is beautiful down here and a golfers paradise, if you play. The Marriott's are numerous in Hilton Head but the Grande Ocean is one of our favorites. The staff are very professional and friendly. If you have never been in a Marriott Vacation Club property you are missing excellent accomodations and spacious living quaters.

Richard J. Polsinello

Room Tip: Make reservations far enough in advance to get a great view of the ocean.
Wake Forest, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just spent a week at the Grande Ocean. The grounds are beautiful and the staff very attentive. The rooms are well appointed and the views stunning. Easy access to the beach and all of the activity on Hilton Head Island. The only things I would change are that the parking situation isn't great (I couldn't imagine trying to find a parking space in the high season) and the rental beach chairs were not what we expected (bring your own chairs from home). We will definitely be back!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Prescott
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Great location on Hilton Head Island. Conveniently located to the sites and ocean. Also note that many of the local restaurants will give you a 10% discount on meals when showing your Marriott room key, but you have to ask. That along with the Sea Pines Pass provided both when you rent a bike or by car offers up a couple of nice additional savings.If using the bike vendor across the street that a previous reviewer offered, you may want to check if they offer the Sea Pines pass-which cost $5 per day otherwise. Perfect resort to bike to most of HHI sites. Ocean front is clean and easily accessible and a great place to ride bikes. We found it easier to ride bikes along ocean front with the wind to our backs, then return on the bike paths on the inside of the island for return trip. Takes a bit more planning, but made our bike rides more enjoyable-as it was quite windy and cool when we were visiting. Rooms are the expected Marriott quality with plenty of room and great layout and all the main essentials. We had a third floor villa in the Laughing Gull building that offered an ocean view-so we were content with that-lower floors would not be able to see ocean due to treetops. Almost every staff we passed or communicated with were pleasant and accommodating. The Monday morning Orientation was a little cramped as it had to be held inside the reception building-so not ideal, but the staff made it work and had plenty of muffins and fruit for all that attended. Resort had many activities that we did not attend as there was so much more to do on the island itself. We also spent a day in Savannah Georgia, with it being so close to HHI. If you have the time to drive the island you can bypass the toll bridge ($1.25). I took this trip with my adult daughter and do not usually make a habit of visiting the same place twice. But I think I will be returning to HHI with my husband to experience more of what the island has to offer and visit the places we missed. HHI has about 8 Marriott resorts but I think I would prefer to return to the Grande Ocean as it was a beautiful resort. I also suggest speaking with Janet Stevens before arriving-she had many helpful tips and restaurant recommendations that were right on and helpful, she contacted us before our arrival. Poolbar Jim's offered great drinks and plenty of seating options. Other restaurants we tried were Crazy Crab-great seafood and Marriott discount, One Hot mamas for bbq food-plenty to eat and Marriott discount. The Salty Dog cafe, great outside ambiance-we even found Jake the dog...food was good-no discount. Catch 22-higher buck restaurant-but go earlier and ask for early bird special, better deal. Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe-excellent value, price and service was phenomenal-but small restaurant. The breakfast was wonderful along with the servers/staff! Mainstreet Cafe-we went there for the All you can eat Crab Legs- tried to use their discount-not valid on the all you can eat. The service was terrible!!! They were poorly staffed to handle the small crowd. The bathrooms were out of toilet paper and one toilet was overflowing. The crab legs were wonderful, but you had to seek out a server to get more. If this is your first time to HHI and you are staying at the Marriott Grande Ocean you will not be disappointed with the resort or the activities HHI has to offer.

Room Tip: Higher floors will offer better view and less noise if you have noisy neighbors above.
charlotte,nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Had a good experience here. The room was very nice, it was easy to get out to the ocean. The pools and hot tubs were great. Really couldn't ask for any more. I would suggest if you want to rent bikes that you go to the place right across the street to rent, as they hava a huge selection of bikes and much cheaper than renting from the resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Grande Ocean? Share your experiences!