“Suprisingly good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
NJ
“Suprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Being from NJ I was skeptical about getting pizza and actually enjoying it. I was pleasantly surpeised. We had a blt pizza which was a little greasy but very tasty. The arugala was fresh and the balsalmic drizzle was good. Crust was crispy and fresh. Place was dead though. Service was good!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Primo pizza, service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had read some old reviews dissing Paulie's so we resisted visiting Paulie's until our recent trip to HHI. We are sorry we didn't visit before. In contrast to some old reviews, Paulie's greeters were very congenial and seemed happy we were visiting their establishment. We felt welcomed immediately. We loved the bar area; it seemed soaked with tradition.
Travis, our server, was fantastic. Freindly and helpful, Travis politiely and happily shared the drink menu. I like to taste different local beers when traveling. Paulie's had a good selection, especially of local products on tap as well as bottles. We had one traditional and one "signature" pizza. Both were super although we liked the "signature" better. Thanks for a great experience.
We believe the cost was a good value.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Apc2889, Owner at Paulie's Coal Fired Pizza, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thankyou for taking the time to write this awesome review.. We take pride in our product and we love to hear when people appreciate what we do! We look forward to seeing you guys soon! Take care

Andrew Carrabba
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Authentic NY Pizza - Look no further!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Having eaten at Paulie's on numerous occasions, I can honestly say that the pizza they serve is definitely award winning (winner of the International Pizza contest in Las Vegas last year). Our family of 6 always leaves Paulie's happy and satisfied. The family style salads are devoured by the pickiest of eaters, and the service has always been attentive and cheerful. The homemade mozzarella dish is prepared with fresh ingredients and is also a family favorite. I also love the eggplant parmesan.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States
“Best pizza this side of brooklyn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is coal-fired pizza like they make in Brooklyn. It's a lot lighter and more flavorful than "regular" pizzas. Our favorites are the Traditional pie and the Signature pie, both made on a thin crust with fresh mozzarella and home-made tomato sauce. It's amazing.

don't usually pay much attention to salads, but they have two that are outstanding: a chopped salad with the usual stuff, plus sliced black olives and garbonzo beans, with a nice Italian dressing; and a spinach salad with mushrooms and fresh bacon.

We've been there several times and have always found the service to be friendly and efficient.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta, Georgia
“The single worst dinning experience of my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

RUN - do not walk - away from this establishment. After waiting upwards of twenty minutes after being seated, our server finally came over to tell us he would be back to help us in a moment. When he di reappear, we began our order with the fresh mozzarella served with tomatoes and fresh basil. The dish finally arrived at the table with NO fresh basil. I asked the server is they had some fresh basil. He simply answered 'yes.' I then had to say 'may we have some?' He returned with a minuscule amount on a saucer. As if this was not enough, after waiting an hour for our specialty pizza, which was described as having figs as a primary ingredient, it arrived at the table without a single fig! I asked our server about it, and he literally waved his hand over the pizza and said, 'these are the figs.' We were stunned as he walked away. My boyfriend then asked to speak with the manager about the disappointing food and service the manager never came to our table. I saw him send the server back over to say that he was too busy, but that he would comp the pizza. It is unacceptable for a manager to refuse to speak with a disappointed customer. What kind of business are you trying to run? Furthermore, throughout the evening I witnessed several other parties try to register complaints and other parties just got up and left after being ignored and ungraciously served such poor food. The owners of this restaurant should be ashamed. I will never return and advise others to do the same.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Apc2889, Owner at Paulie's Coal Fired Pizza, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
I completely understand your frustrations. We take full responsibility for your bad dining experience. We were short staffed in the kitchen that friday night because our pizza maker never showed. The server came to me while i was cooking pizzas that night and told me about your situation.. when cooking in a 1000 degree oven you cannot walk away otherwise everything will burn in a matter of seconds. So i told him to comp your meal (i agree it is unacceptable for me not to talk to you and your boyfriend, however given the circumstances i could not walk away from the oven). We make everything from scratch at Paulies.. our dough, the tomato sauce comes from italy, we even hand make our fresh mozzarella.. We take pride in what we do however Friday was an off night an it upsets me that your experience was bad. We would love to have you try us again.. If you wish you can email me at andrew@pauliescoalfired pizza.com or call us at 843 785 3510 we would love to take care of your next meal if you choose to give us another chance. thanks

owner, Andrew Carrabba