“Rudest Establishment on Hilton Head......PERIOD.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 24 Shopping in Hilton Head
Type: Antique Shops
Attraction Details
Meridianville, Alabama
“Rudest Establishment on Hilton Head......PERIOD.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I admit it, I missed the sign next to the front door. Granted, the sign was about six or seven feet to the left of the front door and the writing was very small on it, but i missed it - no kids under 6 allowed. Any responsible parent knows that having young children to watch after can cause you to miss a few things in passing. So I ended up in The Bargain Box with my five-year-old duaghter, who I was supervising as she looked through some toys. She was well-behaved, placing everything back where it belonged when she finished looking. Then this old lady showed up beside us, an employee of the store. She had a pleasant smile and demeanor, asking me how I was with all the pleasantries one could ask for. But it was all fake, because then she turned and started grilling my daughter about her age, which started making me feel uneasy. When my daughter answered she was five, the nice smile turned to one of the most hateful frowns I have ever seen, and she started reaching for my daughter's arm saying things about having to leave the store. I stepped in front of the woman before she could grab her, then she turned on me with an angry voice saying children under five were not allowed. Needless to say I took my daughter and left and I won't be back. My message to the employees of The Bargain Box: here's the thing - you're a THRIFT STORE, not Saks 5th Avenue. You have items on your shelves that nobody wanted, not priceless Vanderbilt heirlooms. And I know you're on Hilton Head Island, but that's so far beneath The Hapmtons it's ridiculous. Get it? Your story about banning children because of insurance reasons is ridiculous. Based on my experience in your store and the reviews of others on here, I would guess that you simply hate children. But that doesn't give any of your employees the right to grab at anybody's kids yelling for them to leave like some kind of security force. If I violated a store rule, then ask me to leave respectfully, which is what everybody deserves. The behavior of your employee during my visit was nothing but disrespectful and disgraceful.

Visited July 2013

“Picked over, rude service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I've been donating and visiting this place for years and seen how it's gone way downhill. They say they're open til 4, but start kicking you out at 3:30. That's just the time I get off work and can make it over. I came in today at 3:50 and the guy that knows me there wouldn't let me in. I said I've been donating and visiting this place for years and just wanted to see if there were any shoes that I could come back tomorrow for. Oh, well, guess I won't be donating here any more. Yuppie pricks.

Visited August 2013
“New Policy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just found out my favorite place to shop has lifted their policy on no children under 6 allowed. GREAt NEWS!

Visited July 2013
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Bargain Box of Hilton Head is the original!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Oh my gosh! Where to begin? First of all, because many folks who donate have enjoyed the corporate life "Up North"; the Bargain Box has truly lovely donated things: sterling, beautiful gold jewelry, brands like Juicy, St. Johns knits, Lily, Under Armour, Total treasure hunt.

New book releases, bikes for vacationers, baby stuff for visitors, puzzles and games, golf gear with golf balls including Bridgestone for only 2.50 dozen. Each day the store is restocked fresh; so go more than once each week.

Visited June 2013
“Best thought of as Bargain Box Boutique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Unique jewelry, gently used designer clothes, shoes and purses, great selection of furniture and household goods. Just plain fun shopping and deal hunting.

Visited June 2013