“Cheap & Nasty” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Hilton Head
New York, NY
“Cheap & Nasty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Believe the bad reviews!! My fiance and I stayed here for one night and even that was too long!!! I read the bad reviews but thought, what the hell, it's only one night, I need to save the money. There was a roach stuck in the glass of the picture frame on the wall. The problem is every time the door opens a ton of bugs fly in and infest the room, on top of whatever other bugs are already in the room. There were also brown stains on my sheets! I'm from NYC, so I can deal with a couple of bugs here and there but sheet stains are another story. I've stayed at other Red Ruff Inn's and they were much better. Basically, it's one of those low-end motels with somewhat of a creepy factor. If you're going to stay here just pack the disinfect and a magnifying glass to check for bed bugs (not saying they have them, but just in case). It's cheap for a reason.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

i stayed from august 20 - 23 , 2008. the room was ok . nothing great . the room was to small for a long stay . being i had my dog i was forced to only a few places to choose from . i looked at motel 6 and it was dirty and had a dead bug on its back so i went to the red roof . i liked the free coffee machine . it was actually good and so were the front desk ladies who i talked to a couple of times . the red head was helpful on places to go and rather nice to me . i paid $ 44.99 a night plus tax . i didnt find any bugs and believe me i looked high and low for signs of life . i would go there again .

• Liked — comfortable room for the price
  • Disliked — small room and terrible tv problems
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

I've stayed in many budget hotels before, and never been so disgusted as I was here. There were many different kinds of bugs, including spiders, roaches, and beetles. I saw 3 roaches in a one hour period and saw 5 beetles at once in the bathroom. Also, there were visible body fluid stains all over the comforter, which was repulsive. We tried to check in three times, and our room wasn't ready until an hour and a half after the check in time. I would NOT stay here again.

Stayed July 2008
Tampa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

This inn is in a good location. The room looked nice and clean, but apparently have some roach problems. We saw a couple of them within our 2 night stay. One of them was sitting on top of the sink area and saw one in the carpet. We have an 8 year old and it's just a little disgusting.

Stayed July 2007
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

We just arrived back from the Red Roof Inn in Hilton Head SC. We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. We booked through Orbitz for a really good rate. We were booked in a King with microfridge. We are a middle aged couple for a short stay in Hilton Head.
We were pleased with the location of the hotel. It was in a good neighborhood but not close to the public beach -- you will need a car to travel to the ocean/beach. But it was really easy to get to -- it was close to plenty of restaurants and Shelter Cove -- a very nice complex that has entertainment and fireworks on Tuesday evenings.
There was a pancake house (Stacks) in the parking lot as well as a bakery (Ronnies) and a convenience service station.
We did not have a chance to swim in the pool. But in looking at the pool it was kept fairly clean.
The service was excellent. Our check in and out was quite fast even with a full motel. We had no problems with the service, and the motel was totally full but the room was kept clean. We did see 2 bugs in our room the entire time we were there but we were not bothered by them. We had plenty of clean towels. The ice machine was maintained well. The lobby had a gourmet coffee / hot chocolate machine and packaged danish and muffins. There were free copies of USA Today in the lobby on the weekdays. One day the coffee machine was a little watery and we informed the person in the lobby and they immediately fixed the problem. We were impressed with the fast service.
It was not a fancy hotel there were not a lot of amenities but for a couple on a budget that had a car it worked really well.
For the money we thought it was a nice place to stay.

• Liked — The staff and the convenient location.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

Ok, clearly it's not a beachfront resort. But when you decide to go to Hilton Head on the Friday before Memorial Day and it's the only available property for less than $300 a night, and the other Tripadvisor reviews were fundamentally ok, you take a chance.

So we did, and we were pleasantly surprised.

It's small, yes it is. The rooms are so small that while one person is moving, the other one needs to be sitting down somewhere out of the way. Otherwise, for those of you that play the Sims, you'll recognize the backing and forthing steps that happen :) Two adults occupied this room, if there were children along, I don't know that I would have been at all comfortable.

Other than the size, we found the room clean and comfortable. Linens were clean. It was nicely decorated for a Red Roof. We had a surprise microwave and mini fridge in the room which was great. The motel is centrally located between the public beaches, and I recommend Forest Beach, as it has good parking. There is a gas station/convenience store right in front of the motel which was very convenient for grabbing beach snacks and beverages. There is a pancake house on the other side of the motel parking lot which was really quite good. The lobby offers free coffee, tea, cocoa and fruit juice any time of the day. There is a small pool which we did not use. It was surprisingly quiet, and there were a number of expensive late model cars parked outside which leads me to believe we weren't the only ones making a last minute beach trip decision :)

We liked it well enough to return. Sure, I'd rather be beachfront, but hey, for $100 a night on a holiday weekend (approx 80 other times), it was a great choice for a budget trip.

• Liked — It was comparatively very cheap, centrally located, and had microwave/fridge.
  • Disliked — Small room sizes (but it's not supposed to be the Hilton!), would not want kids with me
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

Hilton Head is expensive, and I'm poor; but the beach is beautiful and free to all. So my wife and I were looking for a cheap place to stay as close to the beach as our finances would allow, and a place that would allow us to bring our dog. Red Roof was perfect. The room was clean and newly remodeled, so it had that "new hotel" feel. Unlike most, they don't charge a fee to bring your pet. The location is great, or as good as you can get w/o paying for a beachfront location. At the time we booked, it was the cheapest place on the island, so we could actually afford it. And it was everything we needed--the beds were comfy (in fact, my wife liked the pillow so much that she bought one from Red Roof online!), we had a small fridge, the a/c worked well in the heat of the summer, and service was good. When we needed towels, someone brought them right up to the room.

Before I get gushy about the place, let me make clear: it's the cheapest place in town for a reason. Everything is quite minimal--a tiny continental breakfast (if you can call it breakfast), few freebies in the bathroom, too far from the beach to walk (but a very short drive), and the front desk service is hit-or-miss (I'd say "adequate and polite," but not "excellent"). Because it's cheap, the clientele might not be the most classy. And the room is minimal--it's basically what you'd expect for the price (though there was a nice little desk area that added some roominess--more than I expected).

What I'm saying is this: all we wanted was an inexpensive place to sleep that would be clean, decent, problem-free, pet-friendly, and fairly near the beach. We got all of that and were very pleased. This place is better than I expected for the price.

• Liked — Value, cleanliness
  • Disliked — not-so-classy clientele
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island? Share your experiences!