“Just off Hilton Head Island” 4 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Hilton Head
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Johns Creek, GA, United States
“Just off Hilton Head Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We used to stay at a Hilton Resort in Palmetto Dunes that changed to the OMNI brand. I haven't found an on Island resort I like enough to pay on Island prices and I like my Hilton Honors benefits, so we stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Bluffton. Just two miles to HHI and 10 miles to Sea Pines.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

cheryl H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
We are so excited you chose us, Thomas R! Thanks for taking time to post a review...and, thanks for being an Hilton HHonors member! We hope you will continue to stay with us when you visit Hilton Head! You can count on us!

Cheryl High

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel is in a very good location with a remodeled very nice lobby. However, they should have spent some money to upgrade their rooms and also used some of it to train their staff. Their desk staff in particular. The are very nice but nothing every happens when you report problems. The only saving grace the hotel has is their housekeeping staff. They were always pleasant and always did a nice job of taking care of housekeeping duties. Unfortunately I believe the hotel management is the problem.

We checked in to the hotel very late last week after driving almost 250 miles. We reserved one of their suites, which they did have waiting for us. Unfortunately we were too tired to notice a number of problems with the room when we checked in because we just wanted to go to sleep.
What we found the next morning was a carpet with black stains right in the middle of the room, torn skirts on one of the beds and a room telephone that did night work. The hotel room lighting is also poor which adds to the dingy feeling the room gives. As I recall no pictures on any of the walls. A very “dingy” setting. We would have checked out the next morning to stay at another place but after a few tries could not find another place so we decided to tough it out. They also had an Internet problem due to a storm, which is not unusual.

Also on the last day there I had to “execute” a bug with my shoe that I found crawling on the carpet floor. A fairly large creature about 1 ½ inches long. Our unwanted now dead guest was quickly given a watery funeral down the toilet. Fortunately my wife did not know what happened and I did not tell her either since that would have definitely caused me some additional grief I certainly did not want or need. I would have taken a picture but thought flushing it quickly was a better option.

I realize that part of the world the hotel is located in is coastal region and therefore very humid, and prone to lots of critters. I just don’t like it when I have to share living quarters with them especially when I am paying the “rent” and they are not contributing anything.

During our stay the hotel keys would not work multiple times (about 5 or 6). Each time I had to get them re-keyed only to find out after a few uses the same problem occurred all over again. The real problem with this is that you need to use the key to get from the parking garage (downstairs) on the elevator. If it does not work you have to then walk to the first floor lobby to get it re-keyed and possibly go downstairs again if your carrying luggage. It is also a problem if you have difficulty walking.

I complained to the hotel staff multiple times about all the problems, got nice smiles and other than re-key the room key for me they DID NOTHING; they do smile a lot. One “bright” individual told me that all the rooms are that way when I complained about the torn bed skirt. Nice touch!

As a very long standing member of Hilton Honors” we stay at Hilton's all over the world when we can. This stay goes into the “hall of shame” I doubt anyone from Hilton management will even read my review let alone make any attempt to fix the problems I outlined and others I probably did not even notice.

This is a hotel management problem without a doubt, assuming they have on duty management. I would have expected some management level person contact me during our stay. I guess they were in hiding or sleeping in one of the rooms because I was never contacted! Although one of the housekeeping ladies did bring us a bar of candy with a note saying have a wonderful stay. I wonder if the management was in hiding and sent the very nice housekeeper to bring the candy rather than face me!

Anyone looking for an adventure can stay at this hotel if they wish. Maybe Hilton Corporate Management should try it. However, I can assure you I won’t ever again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
cheryl H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Greetings, RoomGuest2014!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we're very sorry you were unhappy with the conditions of your room and the service received. I will discuss the concerns with the Management Team and immediately correct any issues. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We are listening!

We hope you will consider staying with us in the future!

You can count on us! Guaranteed!

Hilton Garden Inn
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

What a great place. We were greeted well by Shania, who was pleasant, friendly and very accomodating throughout stay, as well as Justin. The entire staff, especially Vitalia (our favorite waitress) was fantastic. The room was clean and comfortable. Food was excellent. Would recommend to everyone!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much, Tommie H, for your wonderful compliments about our Team! We are so excited that you had a great vacation...and shared it with us! Please come visit us again soon! Until then....

Cape May, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed here the night before my 7 day reservation at a Marriott HHI resort. The lobby is very nice and lemonade and watermelon drinks are available. The room was $209 but this is not bad for HHI in July. Much less expensive then other places. The room is large and has 2 TV's and 2 double beds with a fold out couch. Very convenient to the Tanger shopping outlets. As this is not an HHI beach resort I would not recommend for more then a day or two.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks, Pete K, for taking time to review our HGI. We really appreciate the comments about our spacious rooms...and we are so glad you enjoyed your brief stay with us! Please come back and visit us any time you are in Hilton Head! You can count on us!

Fayetteville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Clean rooms and bathrooms, nice closet, comfortable beds. Quiet surroundings. Pool was clean and not crowded. Highly recommend. Location is very convenient to beach, shopping and lots of places to eat. Near a Wildlife Refuge so there is lots of greenery and birds. Free underground parking.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

You are too kind, sandral892! We really do appreciate the wonderful compliments about our hotel! Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are visiting Hilton Head! Take care!

Huntersville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Great hotel and great location for the business travler. Hotel was priced great, and was extremly clean. Only 10 minutes from the beach and other HHI locations. Nice outside pool area for the family to enjoy.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Brian H, you are welcomed to visit and stay with us any time! Thanks for taking time to review our hotel and thanks for such kind compliments! You can count on us!

Rivne, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed in a two bed suite , it was clean and comfy and not to far from the beach . The hotel lobby and breakfast area is beautiful and recently updated . The room we stayed in was a little outdated compare to hilton standers but I believe since this hotel is near the beach it may have different standers, overall it's a clean nice hotel and great value.. The housekeeping staff is really friendly and front desk gentleman was nice and helpful. We will defiantly stay here again ..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for taking time to review our hotel, Liliya85! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us...and thanks for the noticing our new lobby! We look forward to seeing you again!

Cheryl High

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head? Share your experiences!