“For the price... can't complain” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Lane Hotel and Suites

You added Park Lane Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Park Lane Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Park Lane, Hilton Head, SC 29928 (Formerly Residence Inn)   |
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Hilton Head
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“For the price... can't complain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Similar to another recent reviewer, we chose Park Lane because of a Groupon Deal. We stayed at the beginning of November. Purchasing through groupon we had to check into the welcome center and were offered a $100 Visa Gift Card for attending a timeshare presentation too. We accepted and it was the worst experience ever. That has no bearing on my review, but thought I would mention it for anyone else who has purchased their stay through Groupon.

Check-in was easy and quick. The common areas appeared to be nice, though we did not use them. We also did not have breakfast there, so I do not have any comments there either.

One side note is that I was not aware that this was a pet-friendly hotel and would probably not have stayed here if I knew that. The last thing I need on vacation is someones dog yapping in another room because the owners are away and the dog is lonely.

Our room faced another building and there wasn't really anything to see, so we just kept the sheers closed.

The room was clean and was well equipped with a full-size kitchenette. Furnishings were decent (upgraded) and the bed was average in terms of comfort. The bathroom also was average. We did not have any bad experiences where lighting, pests or cleanliness was involved but I did find myself feeling a bit uncomfortable because the a/c just didn't seem to cool the room well and the best word I can find to describe this was that it felt stale.

I completely agree with others in that they should not be charging a resort fee. But even with this $9/day fee, it was still a decent stay (for the price I paid through Groupon) and might consider it again if we were to return to Hilton Head.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room near the elevator (it's old and makes a buzzing sound every time it reache...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
12parklane, General Manager at Park Lane Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. Please know that your particular Groupon was offered thru a separate company and not offered through the Park Lane Hotel & Suites. A Groupon offered by us will never involve or include a timshare tour. Also should any of our guests be disturbed by another guests pet please inform the front desk so that the situation can be remedied. We hope you do return to Hilton Head and consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
SC, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed a few days around Thanksgiving. Checking in was easy. Room was spacious and clean. Bed was comfy. Bathroom kind of small with an oddly low height and little counter top/sink. Other than that it was a standard type low end Residence Inn or Homewood Suites type room. Breakfast was basic cereals, pastries, etc but the Starbucks coffee was very good. I would recommend the diner just down the street. It had a very nice breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. I apologize for the internet not being up to speed during your stay. Your nightly fees are comprised of the $9.50 per night Facilities Fee with the balance being state and local taxes. We hope to see you soon when the weather turns warmer!
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had room 366, by the elevator, but no ice machine on this floor. Noise from the hallway was pretty minimal until 10am each morning when I think housekeeping starts. There were some dogs in other rooms on this floor but they weren't too bad- didn't bark often and were halfway down the hall. The room was good but had a strange smell- I think it was the water which was highly chlorinated or a musty carpet smell, not sure. The bed was comfortable, hot water was good, flat screen TV, and well regulated temperature in the room. I was glad to have a room that didn't have one of those window/exterior AC/heating units like the economy hotels. Our heating was not noisy either. I'm used to drinking tap water but this water was not palatable at all- tasted like pool water there was so much chlorine. Had one sip and that was it. Although, there is a water cooler with filter in the coffee/breakfast area and that was good. The shower was okay, it didn't drain super well but it was hot. We only spoke with the front desk twice so far- for check in and then to look at nearby restaurants, they were okay. The lady at check in was bland but it was 4am when we got here. Breakfast was good-bagels, english muffins, danish, mini muffins, yogurt, oranges, apples, bananas, cereal, juice, milk, and pop tarts. But it is very busy unless you go at 6:30am. I rated sleep quality excellent but this is coming from someone who could sleep through a tornado. Our curtains were not sliding open and closed as they should have and kept getting stuck. Room had a fireplace but you have to pay $5 per log. A small bottle of Dawn dish soap would be good to wash dishes by hand.

My biggest complaint: Tomorrow we will check out and pay the $17 per night fees which includes a resort fee- not sure how this place classifies as a resort... totally not worth it. The internet has been so horrible, working on my finals and watching movies has been excruciating. Another recent reviewer also commented on this and my husband and I think it's the router- we had similar problems at home and that was our fix. Here's how bad it was!

This is our third time to HH. Next time, we hope to come when it is warmer.

Room Tip: I would stay in rm 366 again if I came back here.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

This hotel is extremely dated and worn out.
Room was not real clean. The couch sagged badly.
The "breakfast" was a not very good continental.
The employees are not helpful at all.
Only stay here if there is are no other rooms available on the island!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Our room is right next to the elevator, main entrance, and vending machines. We can hear the door slamming, people talking, and the elevator beepingoutside our room all night. This terrible cacophony is enhanced by the constant rattle of the refrigerator and a metallic clanging and humming wherever the heating unit comes on, which, owing to a drafty window, unfortunately frequent. Despite these incessant aural disturbances, my eight month old son is able to sleep in his brand new pack-and-play, which I bought from Target this evening because the 2 "cribs" that the hotel had provided were covered in dried milk (I hope not something worse), dirt, hair, and other unidentifiable stains. I've expressed my concerns to the staff and I pray they will find a better room for us tomorrow.

• Stayed November 2013
College Park, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband and I checked in on 11/12 and out on the15th. The clerk at check-in was very pleasant. We looked at one room which was on the far end and on an upper floor. The room was nice but overlooked a bare wooded area. So, we chose room 121. The lighting was very dim; the patio door lock was extremely hard to lock, almost broke my finger nail. The second day we got up there was a water bug that appeard to be dead under the coffee table; when we came back in it was still there, but it moved, so I borrowed the housekeeper's broom and put it in her trash. One night, I thought I spotted something crawling on my pillow. I layed there for awhile and spotted what appeared to be a tiny ant crawling and flushed it down the commode. I'm not sure what it was; I am suffering with bites on my arms, finger on both hands and one thigh and the other knee. I know bugs was swamming at the beach on Thursday morning, so we left and went back that afternoon. The bugs was gone, but it was too cold to really enjoy the beach. I did not realize I had been bitten until Saturday. I went to the doctor yesterday and was given a shot and a prescription. One arm is all knotty, swollen, red, itchy, and painful. This is the worst vacation experience that I have had. I did not report any of the this to the hotel (other than the waterbug to the housekeeper). This hotel was not on the level that we are accustomed to stay at. I try to stay at hotels or resorts that are fairly new. This hotel was booked through Coral Resorts; we were lead to think we would be staying at a resort on the beach. I do not plan to return to this property. I'm not sure if the bug bites came from the beach or the hotel.

S. Love

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
12parklane, General Manager at Park Lane Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review us. I'm sorry your booking agent lead you to believe we were on the ocean which we are definitely not, however. our mid-island location is a favorite of numerous guests because we are so close to fine dining and shopping as well as being steps away from the island bike/walking path which winds itself around the island.
We have not had any complaints regarding bites but I did insist that room 121 be completely checked out by our pest control vendor and was pleased to know that room 121 showed no evidence of pests. I believe that you unfortunately came in contact with what we call Sand Gnats at the beach which can cause your symptoms. Should you change your mind about staying with us again just give us a call!
Selbyville, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

We chose Park Lane because it was offered through a Groupon. We had never been to Hilton Head, so we did not know what to expect. We were a little disappointed to find out that Park Lane is owned by the sand company that owns the timeshare Coral Sands Resort. When we registered at the welcome center, we were asked to go to a timeshare presentation. We did not have to, but were offered a free stay in FL and a $75 visa gift card, so we thought, "Why not?"

Checking in was easy and the desk attendant was friendly and helpful. Our room wad in a side building overlooking the parking lot, but we figured that is the area reserved for the Groupon rooms. The property is not on the ocean, so it is not as though we missed out on a view of the ocean.

Our room was clean and smelled ok.....I had read some reviews that were not complimentary, so I was a little worried about the condition of the room. Everything was clean and as advertised....just old and tired. The bed was very comfortable and the towels were fluffy and soft. The lighting in the room was not very bright, so the room seemed dingy at night. We had no trouble adjusting the air conditioning temperature.

The bathroom was small, but cake an and functional. Our exhaust vent in the bathroom made a terrible noise when turned on and off. I suppose we should gave reported it, but we did not.

Breakfast was the usual bagels, pastries, muffins, juices, yogurts, fruit, cereal......everything was plentiful and fresh...no complaints there. My husband was pleased that the coffee was Starbucks.

We did not see a need for a $9.50/ day resort fee......this really was not a resort.....it was basically just to cover the wifi, but most hotels offer that for free anyway. We gad an exceptional Groupon price, and even with the resort fee, we still had an excellent price.

Because of the age of the property, we would probably not stay there again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. The Park Lane is not owned nor has any ties to any timeshare company. The Groupon you mentioned was solely provided by the timeshare marketing company. We hope that your first time to our wonderful island was great and that you will return in the near future.

Been to Park Lane Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!