“Not worth a second visit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Lane Hotel and Suites

Save Saved
You added Park Lane Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Park Lane Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Park Lane, Hilton Head, SC 29928 (Formerly Residence Inn)   |
Ranked #20 of 26 hotels in Hilton Head
Jensen Beach, Florida
“Not worth a second visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was brought here by a friend who did not want to loose the money she had spent to reserve this room when her original travel partner backed out.

I never would have chosen a place like this but I love to travel and I figured hey, free room right?

The island is lovely so I hoped to take in the beaches.

This hotel has access to a smaller beach that is packed from dune to shoreline. The beach was covered with reeds and was not at all what I anticipated when I researched the area.
OK, so the beach parking is free, I will give it that.

We went to the Marriott Resort for dinner last night and I am trying to figure out if there is a way to upgrade to a hotel in that location.

The beach there was huge and though it was dark when we took a walk after dinner, I was pretty sure that was more like it as far as location for me.

Back to this room at Park Lane:
It is a decent size, relatively clean and is set up as an efficiency apartment with a decent sized kitchen.

The bathroom is small and in need of repairs:
No hook on the door for towels, rust around the return in the tub and an ancient shower head that sounds like a phone ringing for a while when the water is turned off after a shower.

I slept on the bed next to the air unit which is the old-school sort that has the controls right in the unit and felt like I was in a wind tunnel all night. It seems to have only one temperature, no matter how I set it: frigid!

The buildings are situated among older trees, a nice point. Free wifi that is easy to log onto.

If you are only looking for a place to flop after golf, I suppose it would be OK but I am a beach girl so this doesn't cut it for me.
I hope I can find another room on the beach as this is a holiday weekend. Wish me luck!

Room Tip: The A building is off to the side and not on the pool. Upside is quieter. Downside less parking!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
12parklane, General Manager at Park Lane Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your response. The Marriott is not our competition for many reasons....the beach being one. It definitely sounds like that would have been a better choice for you. We hope that you visit Hilton Head Island again soon.

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Hotel has nice clean big bedrooms. Facilities very good and continental breakfast was good. 24 hour Starbucks coffee available! A bit "buggy" but that's more about the general area rather than the hotel, however care is needed to keep them out the rooms. Location ok but too far to walk to beach. Lots of bike hire opportunities though, so that (or a car!) resolved the problem. Overall, well worth staying there.

• Stayed June 2013
12parklane, General Manager at Park Lane Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. We too believe that it is well worth staying with us! The Park Lane could quite possibly be the best value for your money spent on the Island. Let us know when you are coming back!
Sylvania, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Be prepared to bring all of your own supplies to your full kitchen. There are no pans etc to use with the oven, only 3 ets of silverware. When we asked the staff we were told they "only work here not provide the items". Patios are small and have only one plastic chair. Shower whistles loudly during the entire time it's running. Find another hotel...

Room Tip: Not one near the ice machine.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Prior to staying at this hotel (but AFTER booking it) we read several reviews that included the horrors of local wildlife (marsh rats) and insects (roaches) as well as rude staff. I'm happy to say, aside from the cameo appearance of a single palmetto bug, we encountered none of the above. We stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed the entire stay. Plumbing, paint, carpet (in a pet friendly room, even), kitchen, lights, TVs, beds (hide-away, with its ever-present bad-night's-sleep-metal-bar was even surprisingly comfortable), a/c, locks, appliances - all worked well. There wasn't a lot of noise to keep us awake. We did stay in a lofted suite on the 3rd floor so that was probably helpful in the lack of noise category. Parking was adequate. We left our Do Not Disturb sign on our door the entire time and, as far as we know, the staff honored it. Never tried the breakfast so I can't comment on that other than I wish it stayed open until around 1 in the afternoon, when we actually would be awake and out the door! ;-) We were called once about a presentation we could attend but we politely declined and we were bothered no more about it. Perhaps the reason our stay was so great, noise- and crowd-wise - was because it was the weekend prior to Memorial Day and there weren't as many folks in HH as would be during the peak season? Regardless, we had a great time and a great stay at this hotel! Thanks for all the amenities AND allowing us to bring our dog along!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
We like nothing better than hearing you had a great time and a great stay! Does that mean we will see you again this Fall perhaps? We hope so.....it's a great time to spend on the Island! Don't hesitate to call if we can help you with your plans!
Encinitas, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hotel would be rated higher if they had been honest about their services. They added a $9.50/day "facility fee" to cover items that were listed as free services in the AAA guide book. These included the TV and cable, breakfast, high speed internet and pool use. Besides the fact that these are normal services at most hotels they were not even high quality. The breakfast was the worst of the five hotels we have stayed at on this trip. Barely adequate. The hotel itself was nicely located and everyone seemed pleasant but they also wanted to give you a sales pitch in the evening (for which they would compensate you).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

For $140/night you would think the bathroom would be big enough to stand at the toilet and shut the door at the same time. Also, we left up the do not disturb and the maids still came in and touched our stuff. Also the bathroom door wad falling apart as were the running boards in the kitchen. We also had the a/c set to 60, but it was never that cool in the room. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed 2 nights in loft accomodation at this hotel. We checked out Sunday and reached Charleston where I realized I had left a drawer full of clothing in our loft! From the front desk staff that day to the head housekeeper, Erica,who phoned me in Canada the next morning, I was impressed by the staff professionalism and concern. Erica advised me how they normally deal with these incidents, took my information and had their courier company contact me with the cost before shipping. We left Charleston Monday morning and I received the courier package with all my things Thursday ! I am very appreciative and will recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Hilton Head.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Lane Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!