“Quiet, Clean, and easy access to the beach” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Hilton Head
Dupont, Washington
“Quiet, Clean, and easy access to the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

This is the 5th time we've been to this resort. We just learned that you can call the resort directly and request a specific room up to 21 days in advance. This year they added 3 large gas grills next to the gazebo that are in the shade for cooking. I recommend bringing your bikes or renting some for the week. The rentals were $30 for the week, but we had ours with us. Riding to South Beach (3mi) or over to Harbor Town (1mi) or just exploring the area was fun. We often rode on the beach in the early morning when it was less crowded and you could find "critters" on the beach. If you go out at low tide and wade out 40-50 yds into the ocean you'll find hundred of sand dollars. We found over 200 one day. Of course we returned then after filling up the bucket. Unless you're going to the local grocery store to refill on supplies (sun screen, beer, bread), there is no need to move the car the entire week. If you do drive anywhere at night, parking is very limited after about 9:30pm (ie: after the Greg Russell concert) so you'll have to park at the beach club next door and then move your car over in the morning. The golf courses are very nice. The old Sea Marsh Course was completely demolished and reconstructed/renamed to Heron Point by Pete Dye in 2007 (good reviews on the internet) and is much much better. Really nice layout. The Ocean Course has also has had a facelift but not nearly as extensive. Both courses have been completely aerated recently. They're right across the street so walking to them is about a 4-iron away. The kids loved this place for it's access to the beach and the 2 pools. We cooked out everyday wile they swam. I recommend having them do some of the arts and crafts (painting wine glasses, sand dollars, starfish, bingo, etc) that the resort offers. A good way to take a break from the sun in the middle of the day. There is a small fitness center on the property but is not necessary. All the miles of bike/running trails around the resort and beach activities make working out really easy. It's a quiet resort without all the restaurant amenities or other larger facilities, but that's what makes this place great. If you're a high maintenance person looking to be pampered and catered to, this is not the place for you. This place is great for quiet, relaxing, cheap family fun. I would recommend this place to anyone with a family of kids whose parents like cooking out and just taking it easy.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

Been going to Hilton Head for 40+ years and it still is "the same". If you like fishing, bike riding, beach walking, tennis and golf, then this is the place. It is a great place to slow down and just enjoy life without the hustle of the big cities.
The few "oultlet" stores are rather pricey and can be a bit snooty as can some of the "Islanders". Too many different palces to eat to go into detail. one would need several years to try all.
A few good tips were passed on about small resaturants and places to get seafood from some of the merchants. (the merchants are certianly much friendlier than the locals)
It was cold and rainy during most of the week there with only two decent daysof sunshine. (lots of rest was gotten)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
McMinnville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

We arrived at the Monarch on November 28th and had a wonderful week. We were in the Azalea Building and had a partial beach view and great courtyard view from our balcony. The condo was great-two bedroom-two bath. All the furnishings seemed new and the carpet and tile were very clean. We loved the beds-so comfy. It is a short walk to the beach and we walked every day-most days twice a day. The condos have wifi which is great for checking e-mail.

We loved being in Sea Pines-this was our first visit there. The bike paths are great.
We rented bikes and had them delivered to our condo-this is less expensive than renting at the Monarch.

The Monarch is our favorite of all the places we have stayed in Hilton Head. We hope to return again soon.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

We spent about 8 hours driving from North Carolina with a van full of kids. Along the way, we had a tire on our van start throwing off chunks of tread, so we had to stop multiple times to figure out what was going on. We eventually figured it out, and had to do a tire change on the side of the freeway. After that delay, it was past 11 pm when we arrived on Hilton Head Island for our stay at the Monarch. We were all exhausted and really needed sleep.

When we got to the Sea Pines gate, the guard asked for our pass, very rudely. I could tell from the moment I saw him that he was going to give us trouble. After he looked at it, he pointed up at the sailboard and kayak on our roof and said "you can't take those in there." What??? We're going to the beach! No sailboards? No kayaks?

His response was that, sorry, sailboards weren't allowed on top of cars in Sea Pines. Seriously? He said that all sailboards and kayaks had to be stored inside closed sheds, and that the Monarch had no sheds.

He further elaborated that security would come wake us up in the middle of the night to make us take the sailboard and kayak off the car if we tried to go ahead and violate the policy.

He then told us we should drive back North on the island, away from Sea Pines and the Monarch, to Mariott's other facility, to try to find someone there who would store our sea kayak and sailboard, before we could proceed back to the Monarch sans rooftop items for our stay.

This was unbelievable. It was 11:30PM on Sunday night, we were exhausted with a van full of kids, and this guy was telling us we had to go hunting around for places to store our kayak and sailboard before entering. His reasoning was that "he didn't make the rules, his job was just to enforce them."

What kind of rule for an ocean side resort says you can't bring a kayak in on top of your car???

I utterly lost it with him. I try to exhibit patience and be nice to people, but this was too much. I think I asked him pointedly how he felt being a mere cog in a bureaucratic machine, blindly enforcing rules and making people's lives miserable.

Amazingly, my pointed comments seemed to slightly break the logjam. He then proceeded to call some supervisor person, then call the Monarch, and finally get back to us. He reluctantly said he would admit us, but that we must find someone at the Monarch to take the items off our roof and store them in a shed, or in our room (right, a 12' kayak and 10' sailboard in our small room??). He told us that he would send security out to check to make sure that we did this.

20 minutes later we finally were able to proceed through. By the time we got to the Monarch it was midnight, and we had to track someone down to help us. Finally, we found an employee there, and he was helpful. He helped unload the sailboard and kayak from our van, and after some hunting around we found a spot by a fence that was out of sight from the road. Sure enough, Sea Pines security showed up after a bit just to make sure that we weren't doing some evil lawbreaking by leaving the sailboard and kayak on the roof. They didn't seem to notice that the sailboard and kayak weren't stored in a shed. Thankfully. I can only imagine what kind of nightmare that would have turned into if they had noticed us storing these outside, "against the rules".

It was 1 am by the time we got in and settled, and by then the kids were absolutely hyper due to all the activity and the late night. The whole thing was crazy.

Oddly, that is not the first time I've had an encounter with Sea Pines Security. One time we were biking around the island with several kids in a trailer, and we wanted to visit the Sea Pines Village. We went to the gate and they wouldn't let us in. They said that they don't admit bikes. What? The bike path goes right in. Nope, if we had a bike on our car, we could pay the $5.00 gate fee to go inside. But if we were just on a bike, we couldn't go in at all.

Maybe they just think that all people on bikes or with sailboards/kayaks on their cars are rifraff to be kept out at all costs. I don't know, but it is highly objectionable treatment. I would be considered pretty well off by most people, and I've travelled all over the world. I've never, anywhere, encountered treatment like this.

Back to our stay, we would have just gone elsewhere, except it was far too late to go hunting around for rooms.

Fortunately, our room is decent, and the Marriott people are helpful. The beach is of course nice, as are the bike paths.

But I just can't shake the bad experience. I keep feeling that any little thing I do might trip some switch with Sea Pines security and cause further problems. Now I wonder - should I even take my sea kayak over to the other side of the island? Do I really want to spend another 20 minutes arguing with gate security when I try to bring it back here?

The whole thing is crazy, and makes the stay far less desirable than it would otherwise have been. When I'm spending thousands on a beach vacation, the last thing I should deal with are hassles like this.

I will avoid *any* property in Sea Pines from now on. I'll take my dollars elsewhere, to some place that wants me and my dollars there, and doesn't have some stuck up attitude about things like kayaks on top of a car.

While the Monarch property is nice, there are tons of other places I've stayed in other communities that are as nice or nicer, that don't have the attitude problems that Sea Pines seems to have.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines from Nov 3 - 8th. We stayed in the Camellia building on the 4th floor, which overlooks the fountain area. Our villa looked brand-new; kitchen was clean and new (and well-stocked), as were the bathrooms. The master bedroom had a king bed and the 2nd bedroom had two twins. There was also a pull-out couch. Linens & towels were in great shape, and we had daily maid service. There is also a washer & dryer, which I used all of the time. We had 3 TVs in total and WiFi.
The grounds of the Monarch are very nice. Lots of trees and flowers; very well-kept. They have 2 pools, but we only used the heated lap pool (for obvious reasons in Nov!). The pool was well heated, and they had 3 normal size hot tubs. They also have shuffleboard right by the pool, and foosball & ping-pong near the lobby. We took advantage of their great grill area - it's a wide open pavilion with plenty of room. Because of the time of the year that we visited, the pools and hot tubs were always pretty empty, which my kids loved.
The beach is right past the pools - beautiful beach which we walked almost every morning. Saw quite a few dolphins right from our beach.
We rented bikes from the Monarch; easy & reasonable price-wise.
Staff was excellent.
I would recommend this hotel highly! It's location in Sea Pines is fantastic. We hope to go back soon.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
shaler,pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

magnificant ocean view from our accomidations. My wife and I enjoyed our coffee on our balcony, photographying up to a dozen dolphins at a time and anxiously awaiting the spectacular sunrise and brilliant sunsets. This was the quaintest yet satsfying vacation we have had the pleasure of enjoying. Marriott continues to provide the finest facilities.

We are soooo satisfied with Hilton Head Island that we purchased an additional timeshare at Marriotts Surfwatch. (Nearby)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

We took our first trip to Hilton Head Island and have stayed at Marriott Hotels frequently when we travel so we decided to try the Marriott Monarch time share in Sea Pines. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo and had a wonderful time. The room was very clean and comfortable and included everything we needed for our stay. The grounds were beautiful and well maincured. We really enjoyed the pools and hot tubs and the bicycle rental for the great bike paths on the island. We took two of our grandchildren who are 9 and 11, we had not been there very long when they asked "Can we come back here next year?" They also enjoyed the ping pong, shuffleboard and other outdoor games. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Monarch at Sea Pines? Share your experiences!