“Great pool area but rooms so-so” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Hilton Head
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great pool area but rooms so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is a large resort hotel. The pool area is quite nice. The wing of the hotel I was placed in has not been updated in quite some time. I would say it is not up to Marriott standards especially a resort. I would recommend this hotel with the understanding that the hotel is not a good value at its summer pricing. The Westin Hilton Head is a better value...also a great pool area but much more recently updated.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We appreciate your positive comments over our pool areas. We have 3 lovely pools that see much activity this time of year.

Please be aware that we are scheduled for a renovation in the Fall of 2014, and are very excited to give our guest and fresh new product. We hope that you will visit again. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Turkish first
Lexington, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We just returned from another visit to our favorite hotel- Marriott Resort and Spa in Hilton Head. The service and amenities are marvelous, the location is perfect and the food and drinks are great
I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a wonderful beach get-away
We love it

Room Tip: Ninth floor ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My husband and I spent a terrific weekend enjoying this resort in June 2014. We had a terrific dinner at the hotel grill, very friendly and accommodating staff. The pool and bar area were most enjoyable. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was a surprise birthday trip from my boyfriend for the weekend. We only stayed one night but I loved Hilton Head as a vacation spot. It's not far from where we live and thus I will certainty be back. The hotel was not at all what the Marriott name stands for. It lacked the polished appeal that I am used to. The room itself felt like a Motel. The carpet, sofa and curtains were stained. Paint was noticeably chipping, and it had a "dingy" vibe throughout the room. The amenities were plentiful and that was a bonus. Spa had great selections, view was great and there were lots to do. It's just seconds away from the beach and this too was AMAZING. It was pretty pricy for the unsightly appeal of the room.

Green Features: They had eco friendly cups at the bar. I thought this was a nice touch!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear abound2013,

First, and foremost, thank you for your feedback from your stay. We are always looking to exceed and without guest comments we would not know where we may need improving.
I understand that your stay here must have been frustrating. Your issues are taken seriously and have been passed on to all management of the concerned areas. We do not take these situations/comments lightly.

It is my hope that you will give us another chance in the future to show you that we are not at all what was first perceived and we will show you how great your experience can be.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

If you look at my past reviews of this property, we had been very happy with our stays here. I wrote 3 reviews int he last 3 years as this has always been our choice for vacation. After seeing the many poor reviews on tripadvisor, my wife and I were very concerned about spending our hard earned money for a 4th trip in a row here. We were aware of the remodel about to take place, but note it should have already been completed. When we left the hotel last summer (August 2013) we were told the remodel was going to start "soon." We expected to return this year to a fully remodeled property. We were wrong. I called the hotel a few days ago and spoke to 2 people about concerns about the hotel. The manager there named Elizabeth seemed very condescending about my concerns and in a round about way, criticized Tripadvisor itself saying, "People have very backwards thinking who write reviews." I am quoting her on that. I had questions about hotel maintenance issues, cleanliness, etc and all of them were answered in some to degree that "we are remodeling soon." I really felt like the hotel has "let go" of the property and is not concerned with it until the remodel starts in the fall. Another thing to note is the responses you get from management. they are all the same, almost as if the comments to guests are pasted in with a pretyped response. Elizabeth is one (of 3) person who said she writes the responses. With so much knowledge of the hotel already, and its need for updating, mixed in with the lack of effort from the staff to maintain what they have until the remodel is done, I could not see booking here and cancelled my reservation. The prices of $200-300 per night are completely ridiculous given that similar remodeled hotels nearby have the same prices. This was a touch choice to make, but I am positive it was the correct one. I am concerned now that Marriott will price itself too high for next summer after the remodel is done. That is already evident in its pricing that is around $400 per night for packages. 3 years ago, I got the same package for half the price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear jimmy25492,
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you choosing to stay here over the past 3 years but are very concerned on your reasons for choosing to cancel your reservation this year.

I do understand that the response you received was not what you were hoping or needing to soothe your concerns on your upcoming travels. As you know, we are receiving renovations this fall and are very excited to see the final product. We are confident that these areas in question on recent posts from past guests will be up to our highest expectations. While we wait on the needed updates on the physical aspects, I know that our staff and the service we deliver has never changed. We still strive to go beyond expectations and take that extra step to show guests that we are unlike any other Marriott.

I can assure you that had you kept your reservation, and chose to stay with us, like the past 3 years, your experience would have been just as great as the times before.

As the time has passed and another year it may be before you start making plans for the next vacation, I hope you do consider us again. Not because of our new rooms, which are going to be beautiful, but because you know that when you stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa, you are guaranteed the best service in the industry.
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous beach access and can't say enough positives about the pool wait staff! Our family of 4 had a great time and our room was nice. A little outdated, but fully functioning and clean.

We were truly impressed with Mark, the GM of the hotel. We encountered an issue our first night and he truly went above and beyond to ensure we were taken care of. We then had the opportunity of witnessing his genuine character by rescuing a pelican who's wing was tangled in a line 4 stories high.

We were very happy with the food/drink options at the pool and felt they were a good value. The service was great and fast for us. The view from the pool bar is priceless!

The reason for the low rating comes from overall cleanliness of the resort. The restrooms near the pool are absolutely disgusting. The same pile of sand sat in front of one of the toilets for 2 days until we asked someone to clean the restroom. The pools were the biggest disappointment and of course the only place my kids wanted to be. I've never seen a swamp colored pool that is truly chemically balanced as we were told it is. The color is one thing, but all the dead bugs, live swimming bugs (chlorine should kill if it's treated correctly) and huge hair balls the size of small animals are enough to make you not want to get in the pool. The pool deck needs a good bleaching as well, it's covered with mold. We went to the indoor pool one evening and that area looks a little neglected as well. The pools/ surrounding area just needs some major TLC.

I have read that renovations are coming, but major cleaning still needa to take place when you have a hotel at full capacity.

• Stayed July 2014
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear SnookieO,

First, and foremost, thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We appreciate any and all feedback so that we are aware of where me made need to improve.

I'm very happy to see how much you enjoyed your stay with us. From the staff service, beach access, even to the pool bar views, we appreciate the positive feedback. It means a lot to our staff and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the hotel.

Also, thank you for recognizing our GM, Brian (actually), the heroic, pelican saver. That was definitely a unique moment for everyone.

I’m terribly sorry about the issues you encountered during your stay. It must have been terribly frustrating for you and your family to deal with. I will make sure that your concerns are passed on to the appropriate managers about the pool bathroom cleanliness. We want to ensure that this incident is not repeated

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to see you in the future.
Ohio, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Awful!!!! Been coming to HHI for years and we are marriott reward holders. We always stay at grande ocean and just perfect!! We book this trip very last minute and GO had a few nights open,unfortunately we had two more to fill and it was here. I don't even know where to start! Most importantly Marriott how can you charge these prices for an absolute run down old old hotel??? Seriously!!! I read some reviews that they are getting ready for renovation....that's ridiculous pricing!!! Shame in you! Arrived at 5 pm check in at 4 and our room still wasn't ready! Really?? Rooms are awful , dated, and so rundown. BATHROOM.... This was almost my checking out point. Everything wrong, the water pressure was a trickle and went from ice cold to steamy hot when I had on hot. No shelving for shampoo and such, door for shower hit other door .... I could go on and on, the air conditioner is damp cold air which makes all the furniture damp and wet which we are sitting on towels now because it's so damp. Our bed is broken and one side leans down, the lamps are impossible to turn on. We are very educated adults and have no clue how to turn it on and don't want to call to have some stranger here when we are all ready for bed. There are little flies around our room and we are both itching! We think the floor has bugs!! The pool is so small and green, my family was not sure if it's salt water which most places are because the water was so dirty. Booked a massage for two and receptionist acted like we were keeping her then during it we felt rushed and got 45 min opposed to 1hr as you pay for. We leave in the am and it can't come fast enough. Please do not spend your money to stay here!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tara H,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our property.

I'm terribly sorry for the issues you encountered during your visit. It must have been frustrating. We do pride ourselves in trying to exceed any and all expectations so it is quite disappointing to know that you did not express your issues during your visit. We would have been more than happy to provide you with new accommodations.

We never want anyone to feel as if they are not important to us.

We hope to see you in the future, after our renovations, to show you that we can exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Been to Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!