“Nice stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 26 hotels in Hilton Head
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in May for a short getaway vacation. The hotel is located in a great location (Palmetto Dunes), right on the ocean, with great outside and indoor pools. We had a spacious oceanfront room. The hotel is clean, and our room was nice. The staff is very cordial, always saying hello and asking if we needed anything. We had breakfast at the hotel, which was good. The food at the outside pool bar and restaurant was just okay. Our room was not cleaned the second day until we tracked down a housekeeper at 5:00. We would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

1,073 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Turkish first
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Great location and nice room that you typical expect as frequent Marriott customer. However the room service with respect to cleanliness is terrible and absolute substandard. At 5 pm, the room was half done with bed sheets arranges in a way my five year old daughter would have done better. Our empty shopping bag was left on the carpet and the bathroom I cleaned with the dark coffee spots in the sink when we emptied it in the morning. Toilet and bath tub were obviously not cleaned either. I went to the front lobby and asked for the cleaning squad to don their job. Although I was told this to happen when we came back to the room all what was done was to sporadically clean the sink nothing else including the rest of the bathroom as I requested. This is a disgrace for the entire marriott hotel chain. As business traveler I am frequently using Marriott but have never experienced such inferiority of service before. Marriott customer are paying good money and not to less for service that they expect. The irony is that the Ritz Carlton is their flagship with highest customer satisfaction and a role model in every business magazine. The rest of the chain as tilde by this story has to learn a lot.

• Stayed May 2014
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Klaus 117,

It is always our hope that we exceed our guests' expectations, unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. But your valuable feedback will help us to address the areas we need to improve on. We will be doing a room renovation in the Fall of 2014. We hope that you will come back and visit with us after that!
Raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Similar to other reviewers, I found the property somewhat dated and worn. However, I gave the resort 4 stars because the service at this hotel is AMAZING! Everyone we came in contact w was so friendly and accommodating. I was really impressed by the calibre of the staff that work at this hotel. I hope w planned renovations, they can make the hotel as nice as the people that work here!
Bottom line: hotel- 3stars
Service: 5 stars

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows. beds aren't super comfy.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Lowest priced hotel I can find on Expedia for Hilton head beach
Good location (close to restaurant, Kroger , etc.,) and beach is at the front of the hotel with a lot of amenities and fun things to do in the hotel.
Most suitable for family to enjoy the beach and resort and also good for friends for golfing or tennis.
Also there is a depot on the way to hotel where you can get lunch, breakfast and souvenir for better price than at hotel.

Indoor pool is only just for kids and too small.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rockville, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

A nice property, but one major gripe: The A/C system seemed to be on the fritz throughout the hotel. As a result, everything was damp. In my room, which smelled slightly of mildew, wet towels never dried, clothing left in the closet felt damp, and papers left on the my nightstand wilted. Open windows and ceiling fans would have been a vast improvement to at least allow some circulation. But oddly, the balcony doors in various rooms seemed to be permanently sealed shut. Adjusting the in-room thermostat did nothing.

Staff were very pleasant (excessively almost: being greeted with "Hello, how are you sir?" by each each passing employee started to feel awkward), and the amenities were up to par. Beds were comfortable.

I would probably give a 4 or 5-star rating but for the A/C / air-quality issues.

Room Tip: Request a "beach view," not a "resort view." Avoid the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Gabriel M,

It is our hope that we exceed our guests' expectation in every way, but we obviously fell short in the AC department. Your feedback allows to address concerns that we may not have been aware of. We thank you for that and the matter will be addressed immediately. We will be doing a room renovation in the Fall of 2014. We hope that you will visit with us again.
Westfield, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I have been coming to this Hotel for 4 years for an annual girls getaway. You simply can't beat the location. This year I returned with my husband. The beach is beautiful..and I would highly recommend an ocean front room. But request a higher level to avoid noise from the bar/lobby/pool. The rooms are in need of updating...and this year it was more apparent then ever. But we spend little time there..so it wasn't a priority for us. (Although I was pretty shocked at the towels..worn out...and in need of replacement) The lobby is airy and bright and feels very tropical. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful. The bar is comfortable...and has the most friendly staff. My husband noticed that it had a musty smell..most likely due to the carpeting. Hopefully they will replace it or eliminate it during renovations that will take place in the fall. The restaurant has a great breakfast...pricey, but quick and convenient. The pool area is fantastic. Lots of both sunny and shady options. Great beach access with chair rentals if you prefer to be on the beach. But again...a little pricey to rent chairs or the cabana style seating at the pool. I have used the services at the spa each year. Great options and wonderful therapists/manicurists/etheticians. Treat yourself and enjoy the extras that they offer. And lastly I would like to acknowledge the valet and bell captains. They do as great job and are quick and always have great suggestions for places to eat or shop. I have just returned after a 4 night stay and am looking forward to next year's stay after the renovations take place.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We had the worst "4-star hotel" experience in this hotel. I had to make four calls to the front desk in our two days staying there:

1. They first gave us a room that is on a floor where the hall way was filled with moldy smell. The odor was so strong I had to immediately request for another room.
2. The roll-away bed they sent is in pretty bad condition. I thought the coils in the bed might pop out anytime when I laid down on it. I had to call the front desk to request a thick layer of matter be put in to be able to sleep on it comfortably.
3. Both drains in the bathroom were clugged. I have to call the front desk to get someone to fix them.
4. We ran out of tissue paper and couldn't find extra ones in the room. Another call to the front desk.

I have stayed in quite a few "4-star" hotels, and I have never had so many "issues" before. My mom even told me that maybe a motel room will be better than the one we got. I was okay with the outdated interior and exterior of the hotel because of the price we paid. But strong moldy smell in a "4-star" hotel? That was just ridiculous.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HiltonHeadManagement, Director of Operations at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Allow me to apologize for your recent stay. I understand how a few issues with a drain, rollaway and toilet paper can turn a vacation upside down. We strive to ensure a perfect stay and we may have fallen short this time around. We hope you were able to enjoy the beautiful ocean, our indoor and outdoor pools and jacuzzis, the 10,000 sq foot spa and other amenities we have to offer. We hope in the future you will try us again.

Been to Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!