“Paying for location or future renovation?” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Nightly Credit
Ranked #17 of 26 hotels in Hilton Head
Peachtree City, Georgia, United States
“Paying for location or future renovation?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had 2 rooms on opposite sides of main bldg on 3rd floor. One room was right above the bar (during National Assoc of Insurance Adjusters convention). During the 2 nights we were there, ended up cranking the fan to high on the A/C to drown out the noise from the bar. We had handicap room to accommodate for wheelchair. Only thing in bathroom to put personal bathroom stuff on was 12" square table, which was holding free shampoo, conditioner, etc. The other non-handicap room had ample counter space. Handicap room had large soaking wet spot in carpet in front of sliding glass door. The other room had water literally pouring from ceiling outside door entrance. Hotel placed large garbage can in hallway to collect water and knocked off $40 for inconvenience. One of the lamps was missing lightbulb, another lamp had blown lightbulb, both were fixed.

Outside of the rooms, everything was pretty good! Pools were great for the kids, easy access to the beach, ate lunch at the pool bar. The only thing that leaves bad taste in mouth is the price we paid for crappy room conditions!! There was only $40-60 difference between handicap resort view and oceanfront view. Just figured that to pay that much, would've expected more from the Marriott. Will probably go back, but, at different time of the year, and ask for room on 4th floor or higher. Hopefully the money they charge will go to a room renovation before we come back?

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms open up to lobby area AND bar!! You can hear everything that goes on downstairs. B...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Tina G,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. Guest feedback is the best tool we have to improve upon and better the guest experience. I want to apologize for the leaks you encountered while staying with us. Also to apologize for the location of your room as we do try to keep the group members in the areas they will be in for their conventions. We are working on the best plan of action to take during the renovation to ensure our guests do not continue to experience these problems. I did want to let you know we will be undergoing a full renovation of the hotel withing the next few months and hope you intend to return after that time! I am glad you enjoyed everything aside from your poor experience in the rooms. Summer time is the islands busiest season another alternative would be to come during the spring time when its just warming up or the fall as it just starts to cool off if you are still looking for some beach time! We hope that when you do return you email us at hiltonheadays@columbiasussex.com so that we may better assist you with your room selection for your next trip!

1,011 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

After reading all the mixed reviews, I was prepared for the worst - dated, noisy rooms, bad service - and was very pleasantly surprised.

First impressions are everything, and Thomas at the front desk was wonderful. (The woman at checkout was not a winner, but you can't win them all.) He extended our checkout time since we arrived late and upgraded our room when I mentioned that this was our first family trip with the baby. When I expressed concerns about the thin walls I kept hearing about online, he assured me we'd be fine but would be happy to help if there was anything we needed.

Our room was on the fifth floor of the main building and there were guests next door, but we never heard a thing. And the view was fabulous!

Sure it wasn't perfect. Our bed was a bit saggy. There was cracked paint on our wall, it was damp and the a/c was loud. But come on, everyone leaves their windows open to the balmy sea air; it's going to affect the room.

And yes, the grout around the pool needs to be redone, but the pools themselves were great. And I have to disagree with poor reviews of the poolside service and seating. Both were top notch for us.

Needless to say the beachfront access and central location on the island were stellar. I would definitely come back and recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed June 2013
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Chenwilliams,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are so excited to hear your trip was much better than you had expected and that our staff were able to be so accommodating for your family. We will be undergoing a full renovation in the next few months and would love to have you come and stay with us! After our renovation is complete we will have fresh new rooms and a fresh new look for our hotel!
Ocean Springs MS USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Ok so here on a convention and as such lower standards prevail. But this place is stuck in the 80's! Room smells moldy which is evident on vents. One look at phone shows never dusted or cleaned for a looong while!

Did not eat but lounge bar a joke if Jim is in residence. Makes bar tending look as tough as coal mining! Chris on other hand a gem at outdoor bar.

The point is unless you MUST be here for a conference DON'T.

Room Tip: Don't come here!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nickshellie,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. Guest feedbacks are the best training tools for our staff to see what we need to improve upon. Firstly I want to apologize for the housekeeping service you received through the smell of the room, and poor cleaning. Also I would like to apologize for the service you received at the bar. I have discussed these issues with our food and beverage and housekeeping staff to see how we can ensure that this does not happen again. I will be sure that Chris receives recognition for assisting you at the outdoor bar. We are undergoing a full renovation starting in the next few months and do hope that you will reconsider your opposition to our hotel as it will be a fresh new product and we would love to have you come back. Please email us at hiltonheadays@columbiasussex.com so that we can see what we can do for any future stays you may consider to have with us!
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel could use some updating, but if you are going for the outdoor activities, that will not disappoint. The view from my room was great, the pool is really nice and the outdoor bar and lunch was quite enjoyable. The view of the ocean from poolside was nice. I went to the spa and had a great experience there.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean are the only way to go. The higher up, the better the view of the ocean...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Susan W,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. WE are so glad you were able to enjoy our outdoor activities, the views and some of our amenities! I did want to let you know we will be undergoing a full renovation of our property starting at the end of the summer season and hope that during your next visit you will be able to enjoy the fully renovated product we have to offer!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving to this hotel everyone was very friendly as they got our luggage & helped us to our room. Our room was very dated and not what I expected. The pool area was average. The service in the lounge was a little slow as they were clearly under staffed. The only redeeming factor to the trip was the nice gentlemen who drove us to the restaurant-Whit- who was extremely nice & went above and beyond! Probably wouldn't stay here again if I went back to Hilton Head.

• Stayed June 2013
Carmenbellaburch,
Thank you for posting this revieqw of our property. We are so pleased to hear that our staff was so friendly and accommodating! I will be sure that Whit receives recognition for going the extra mile for your family. I apologize on your wait at the lounge and have informed our leaders of your experience. I did want to let you know we will be undergoing a full renovation in the fall and look forward to presenting a fresh new product for our guests to experience. We hope you choose to come back to stay with us after that period so you too can experience the new and improved Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa is a nice hotel if you are "just" planning to be outside at the pool or on the beach. I mean, if you are going to the beach-- who wants to be cooped up in a room anyway.... that being said, for the money you spend, the hotel room is undoubtedly a part of the whole experience, right? The rooms should be a nice and decent. I guess I expected much better at $350 a night for oceanside view. I expected better quality room for the money-- that's all. If you are looking for a place to stay that's on the beach with very very close access, this it it. Just don't expect much in the rooms.

Room Tip: Get rooms that will allow your family more space.
OMGTraveler,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. I wanted to let you know we will be undergoing a full renovation in the next few months and plan to have some beautiful rooms for our guests to enjoy indoors as well as out. We are glad you were able to enjoy the proximity of our hotel to the beach and enjoy all that being a beach front property has to offer. I do hope the service you received will make up some for the fact that our property is a bit outdated. We hope you choose to stay with us again after the renovation to see the quality of room’s improvement.
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We checked in for a long weekend and were here with a group of 200 for a meeting. This hotel has a great staff that deserves a better property overall.
Front desk was understaffed as there was always a line when I came by. Check-in took longer as a result. Upon reaching the front of the line, my side by side rooms were in different buildings.
The manager on duty made the change but only after I caught it headed away. I had only mentioned it 3 times during the check in. Bless his heart. He was good but overworked as he was always at this front desk over the weekend.
You would think with 4-6 check-in computers they would at least staff it during the hours of 3-7 pm.

Rooms are ok not great. This property was built in the 70's and used to be a Hyatt. Rooms are large. At least they had a flt screen tv in the room. I called the front desk 3 times to request a few things and they answered twice, not Marriott service standards.

On Saturday night they had a power outage for a few hours. The hotel was evacuated and I am not kidding. We sat outside for a couple of hours and were given flashlights and climbed the stairs to the 8th floor. I enjoyed my workout at midnight.

Beach pool entertainment is very good. We enjoyed it immensely. The service was good but here we go again. The lunch order took 1 hour. You would think a few fish tacos and chips and salsa could be cranked out in 15 minutes Marriott! The server was very sweet and did not deserve that.

The banquet food was very good as well as the service. Bartenders and wait staff are quite good and friendly.

Pros: Location, large rooms, banquet food, nice flat and wide beach , Starbucks in house,
great staff who deserve better.
Cons: food service extremely slow at restaurants and I mean slow!!

Advice : clean up the food service timing issues, staff the phones and front desk and you have a winner. Also, drop some coin on refurbish of rooms and decor, as well as new transformer for power issues...
Beach umbrellas 33/day not too bad,

Room Tip: Ocean front lower floor as elevators are slow
PackMan50,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. Guest feedbacks are the best training tools for our staff to see what we need to improve upon. We are very happy that you found our staff accommodating and helpful. I have spoken with our front desk department regarding the issue we had with understaffing at that time and we are working on fixing this issue. I apologize that they were not able to reach your call the third time as our At Your Service department does their best to answer every call in a timely manner. I apologize you experienced the power outage at our hotel and we have certainly already taken measures to ensure our guests do not have another experience like that. I have also informed our food and beverage departments of your wait times which is unacceptable. We pride ourselves on the service we give and will make certain we are giving it through all of our departments in the hotel. We will be undergoing a renovation very soon and do hope you choose to come and stay with us again after the renovation is complete to see how we have changed our property and wait times to improve the service you deserve.

Been to Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!