“Heritage Golf Classic vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 NIGHTLY RESORT CREDIT
Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in Hilton Head
Cumming, Georgia
“Heritage Golf Classic vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I went to the Heritage Classic golf tournament in Hilton Head from April 18, 2013 to April 23, 2013. We stayed at the Marriott Resort and Spa there and it was nice, albeit a little worn. The housekeeping was good and the room was clean, but the furniture was older than we are used to seeing in Marriott properties.
The beach is wide and white sand hard enough to ride a bike on or jog or go for a long walk without feeling like you are in a mire.
The staff was friendly and helpful and it seems that way at all Marriott properties. They must train them intently.
The fitness center was somewhat crowded, but had the necessary equipment to complete our exercise routines, including free weights, weight machines and cardio equipment (treadmills, elliptical machines and stationary bikes).
The restaurant was OK, but there are must better choices offsite, but nearby (Redfish, Hugo's, Alexander's, for example)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Spoogdaman,
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us and at the Heritage Golf tournament. We appreciate the feedback you provided about the amenities within the resort and the great job done by our team. I did want to take the time to let you know that we will be undergoing a renovation this fall and we look forward to providing you with a beautiful fresh new product for your visit during next years Heritage tournament. Again, thank you so much for your time in sharing your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Turkish first
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The best aspect of this hotel is it's location; right on the beach and it is a fabulous beach that appears to stretch for miles and is great for walking in the early morning. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast menu gives a wide choice and the staff in the restaurant are superb. The lounge can fill up on weekend nights and be somewhat noisy but it is nice that you can get a meal in the lounge if you arrive late to check into the hotel.

Just behind the sandy area of the beach are some comfortable hammocks for lounging and there are chairs arranged to allow you a view of the sea.

Although this is a beachfront hotel do not automatically expect to get a view of the ocean as some of the rooms are on the side of the hotel property and do not really have a view of the sea. If you want an ocean view you should specifically ask for it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Farmville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband I stayed at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa for 2 nights and had a wonderful time. The staff is absolutely wonderful and so accommodating to their guests and the breakfast was awesome! We almost felt like royalty! We stayed in an Ocean Front King Room which was clean, comfortable. The view was perfect! The room could use a little updating, however that didn't matter to us, we still loved our room!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and request an Ocean Front Room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Audubon, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

As many of the previous reviews have mentioned, this beachfront hotel has a great location, however the rooms are in need of a serious update as they look tired and worn. Our room was clean, it's just in desperate need of an update.

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here for two nights -- we received a pretty good rate and at the time we booked the room they were offering a $100 credit to Spa Soliel. We booked a couples massage and both the spa and the massage were wonderful. The $100 credit didn't get us very far, but that is to be expected at a "resort".

We arrived around noon, and knowing that check in wasn't until 4pm I decided to give it a shot anyway. I was told as long as our room was ready we could check in -- it was, so we lucked out. The employee who checked us in was very nice. Pretty much everyone who worked there was friendly and always asking if they could help.

We didn't eat at the hotel, from what I saw it seemed pretty expensive. We did stop into the General Store right down the road from the hotel (and still within the Palmetto Dunes resort area) for a much cheaper (and pretty decent) breakfast. They had some hot breakfast options and also served as a decent convenience store for most if your basic needs.

The weather wasn't so great while we were there, but it was still nice enough to sit out by the pool and enjoy my personal favorite, the hammocks. All in all, not a bad place and I'd stay here again if I could get a good price, but they really need to update this place.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights of spring break 2013. The Beach and Pool Deck are a very nice atmosphere for sunbathing and beach exploring. They rent bikes, beach comber bikes, and other beach toys, which is nice. Be warned, the pool and even hot tubs will be cold unless you are expecting 80+ degree days. Even the indoor pool is cold at this hotel.
The service at the pool deck restaurants is marginal. The staff warned us in advance that lunch wait can be 30 minutes, but it was more like an hour before our food arrived.
The rooms are dated, but nice, and what you might expect from an older Marriott facility. The restaurant is average but staffed with friendly waitresses. Shop around for a good rate and this hotel will be worth it for location (beach) and value. If you are expecting luxury, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was a little bit disappointed with this hotel. The price for a night is quite high, so I was expecting a little luxury and unfortunately didn't get it. When I walked into my room I was disappointed to look out the door and see a roof! I know I didn't pay for an ocean view room, but for $225/night I was hoping for at least a parking lot view! Now I am not the kind of person who needs everything new, I like a little bit of history and character, but this hotel is in desperate need of repair. I had a shower in my room and the joint at the doors was moldy and cracking and the drain was so clogged that after being in it for 30 seconds I was standing in water, which grosses me out a bit. The light beside the bed was broken, so I had to unplug it to turn it off and the security latch at the door was broken as well so that I had to actually screw it in with my fingernail so that it wouldn't dangle which would cause me to not be able to open the door. Also, apparently they changed cable providers so there were no in room movies, I actually had to call at your service to figure this out as it denotes this as a feature both on their website and the in room guide. I was told that this is no longer offered as they were trying to be more family friendly (I wasn't trying to watch an adult film!, but she acted like I was). As this is an old hotel, you can imagine the soundproofing isn't very good, because a lot of people were on spring break, there were a lot of kids, so screaming, running and banging around was the norm for my trip as was listening to the next rooms conversations like we were in the same room. This is just a note as I was on vacation, so it didn't bother me too much. Now the good! The staff at this hotel is amazing, really, I didn't have any interactions that weren't pleasant or helpful, they made my stay enjoyable, management should take note because if it weren't for their staff I wouldn't consider staying here again, but because of them I just might. Also, the location is incredible, beautiful beach that is incredible with dolphins playing out front, along with Spanish moss lined streets.
I would like to note that I did not ask to change rooms, I simply can't stand the hassle of that, so I could have changed rooms and things may have been better in another room!
If you don't plan on staying in your room a lot and love the beach and a beautiful pool, then you should stay here, but if you like luxury and updates, I don't think this hotel will do it for you.

Room Tip: Stay oceanfront for any room value.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am not sure about the folks giving this place 1 and 2 stars. Oh yes, you probably spied a petulant roach. But give me a break, roaches have been around since the dinosaurs. It will take more than a 4 star establishment to take them down!!

Seriously, great place on the beach. Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice rooms, although a bit worn, nothing to be mad or discomforted about. There were lot of activities for kids, great location, great pools. We plan on going back there again.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!