“Beach Makes it Worth It, but this is no Luxury Property” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Hilton Head
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Beach Makes it Worth It, but this is no Luxury Property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights of spring break 2013. The Beach and Pool Deck are a very nice atmosphere for sunbathing and beach exploring. They rent bikes, beach comber bikes, and other beach toys, which is nice. Be warned, the pool and even hot tubs will be cold unless you are expecting 80+ degree days. Even the indoor pool is cold at this hotel.
The service at the pool deck restaurants is marginal. The staff warned us in advance that lunch wait can be 30 minutes, but it was more like an hour before our food arrived.
The rooms are dated, but nice, and what you might expect from an older Marriott facility. The restaurant is average but staffed with friendly waitresses. Shop around for a good rate and this hotel will be worth it for location (beach) and value. If you are expecting luxury, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was a little bit disappointed with this hotel. The price for a night is quite high, so I was expecting a little luxury and unfortunately didn't get it. When I walked into my room I was disappointed to look out the door and see a roof! I know I didn't pay for an ocean view room, but for $225/night I was hoping for at least a parking lot view! Now I am not the kind of person who needs everything new, I like a little bit of history and character, but this hotel is in desperate need of repair. I had a shower in my room and the joint at the doors was moldy and cracking and the drain was so clogged that after being in it for 30 seconds I was standing in water, which grosses me out a bit. The light beside the bed was broken, so I had to unplug it to turn it off and the security latch at the door was broken as well so that I had to actually screw it in with my fingernail so that it wouldn't dangle which would cause me to not be able to open the door. Also, apparently they changed cable providers so there were no in room movies, I actually had to call at your service to figure this out as it denotes this as a feature both on their website and the in room guide. I was told that this is no longer offered as they were trying to be more family friendly (I wasn't trying to watch an adult film!, but she acted like I was). As this is an old hotel, you can imagine the soundproofing isn't very good, because a lot of people were on spring break, there were a lot of kids, so screaming, running and banging around was the norm for my trip as was listening to the next rooms conversations like we were in the same room. This is just a note as I was on vacation, so it didn't bother me too much. Now the good! The staff at this hotel is amazing, really, I didn't have any interactions that weren't pleasant or helpful, they made my stay enjoyable, management should take note because if it weren't for their staff I wouldn't consider staying here again, but because of them I just might. Also, the location is incredible, beautiful beach that is incredible with dolphins playing out front, along with Spanish moss lined streets.
I would like to note that I did not ask to change rooms, I simply can't stand the hassle of that, so I could have changed rooms and things may have been better in another room!
If you don't plan on staying in your room a lot and love the beach and a beautiful pool, then you should stay here, but if you like luxury and updates, I don't think this hotel will do it for you.

Room Tip: Stay oceanfront for any room value.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am not sure about the folks giving this place 1 and 2 stars. Oh yes, you probably spied a petulant roach. But give me a break, roaches have been around since the dinosaurs. It will take more than a 4 star establishment to take them down!!

Seriously, great place on the beach. Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice rooms, although a bit worn, nothing to be mad or discomforted about. There were lot of activities for kids, great location, great pools. We plan on going back there again.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to visit this hotel for a weekend trip.( BIG MISTAKE) We were looking forward to some alone time and being at a (so called) resort and spa. While there, we were constantly harassed by the managers, who I'm assuming thought we were below them because of our ages (23 and 22). We had awful service at the hotel restaurant where we waited for over 40 minutes for food when there were only 3 other tables full. As a young adult it is very disappointing to be treated like a child when just like all of the other guests I have payed for my room and for the so called great service that we did not receive. We will never be going back to this hotel because of the staff and the horrible service we received. I hope that no one will have to go through this type of treatment. And to the night staff, especially the manager, you should be fired. It would benefit you and your hotel if you would treat everyone with respect that they deserve as a person let alone as a guest.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Grayson, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We booked 3 nights on Priceline for this past week @ $95 a night the resort added an additional $15 a night for the resort fee, this is normal. So for $110 a night we got a room on the 2nd floor with an ocean view. We have stayed here many times in the past and still enjoy it and you can't beat this price. You can rent a beach chair or just bring your own and save a few bucks more. We used the covered parking deck, no extra charge if you self park. Great walks on the beach and friendly people.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I too just returned from CME Resources conference and am unclear about the previous reviewer.

I was a little concerned about the hotel based on some of the Trip Advisor reviews. Our room was just fine - clean, spacious. We certainly did not have any mold or peeling paint. How one gets locked into a hotel room not once but three times is a little befuddling, but we never had any trouble with our keys or a power issue. I do agree about the restrooms needing some more attention, but in fairness it is difficult to stay ahead of 300 people using the restroom at the same time.

The beds are a little soft, but they were still comfortable. Our safe initially did not lock, but we asked for it to get addressed, which it was by the time we returned from dinner. The staff at the front desk, lunch attendants, housekeepers were all pleasant. The walls are thin, and you can hear everything in rooms next door and in the hallways. We went to bed late every night after doing school work, and let's say not everyone is respectful other guests.

I also agree about the café staff being overwhelmed by the conference attendees. However, the restaurant opened at 0630 and class started at 0700. We got fruit, yogurt and coffee to go every day without incident and were on time to class. A hostess did greet us daily - it did take a few minutes but the place was packed! The food was fine, but it's tough to mess up fruit and yogurt.

We did spend some time at the pool - class time was extensive. The pool area was great and wish I could have enjoyed more time there. The beach was also great, and we walked on it several times after class - even during the monsoon. The hotel is in a great location, including beach and restaurants. We ate at Annie's Southern Cooking twice (it was that good) and Good Eats, Robert Irvine's restaurant. We enjoyed both (completely different atmospheres). These are reviewed separately.

Again, we were pleasantly surprised based on previous reviews, and I would recommend this hotel. Maybe we got lucky, staying on the 10th floor, but I was happy with the service. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jacksonville, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just got back and I have to say it was just wonderful. The property was gorgeous, the staff accomodating from beginning to end. Magnificant beach in front of hotel. Rooms very spacious even though we did not have an ocean front room it was not a bad view. My only complaints are the pillows are too small and the restaurant food was way over priced. They are down and it just was not my cup of tea. Can't wait to go back again real soon.

Room Tip: Bring your own. pillow. The resort fee was $15 per room per night which covered internet access and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!