“Not Great & Dated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Hilton Head
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Not Great & Dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We just returned, after checking out early, from the Hilton Head Marriott. Here's a listing of specifics:

Valet - Valet is $18 per day plus tax. That's par for the course and a price we expected to pay. The problem came with the valet attendants. Wow, are they tip hungry. As soon as your car is brought up, they're looking at your hand for money. If the money isn't readily visible, be prepared for a lengthy conversation until cash exchanges hands.

Employees - The people are friendly, to a fault. They'll all using the new norm of EXCESSIVE formality - something you'd hear from a call center employee. While this isn't really a complaint, it needs to be toned down. It comes across as really fake.

The Room - It's apparent that this place is in major need of an update. It seems that the furniture/curtains/carpet haven't received an update since the late 1990s. The furniture is worn, the carpet is showing wear, and there's a lack of a functional desk/chair. So, it's difficult to accomplish any type of work comfortably. The bathroom seems as if it may have received a refresh somewhat recently. That said, the lighting was poor and the shower had weak water pressure.

Noise levels - I swear the room above us was moving furniture the entire night. All we heard were chairs scooting across the floor the whole night. We could also hear the rooms next door very well. We could also hear all movement and conversations in the hall. This place is LOUD. Don't expect a peaceful stay.

The pool/beach - This is the saving grace of this hotel. The pool is a great size with an awesome deck. The beach is large and clean. Unfortunately the weather was cool so we couldn't enjoy the beach, but I could imagine it's a great place to be in the summer.

Will we return? To Hilton Head, yes. To this hotel, no - unless it receives a major refresh.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

As a Marriott Gold Member I've stayed in a number of Marriott's. While this hotel is a bit older the location is unbeatable. A great value for such a pristine location. In addition to being steps away from the ocean it's also in a convenient location on the Island. Indoor pool, very large outdoor pool and multiple hot tubs are a plus. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. There are a few drawbacks such as limited restaurant service, outdoor pool wasn't heated, full versus queen beds and thin walls. However, with proper expectations and a positive attitude you'll find this a great place to stay on HHI.

Room Tip: We opted for a smaller room oceanfront versus larger room oceanview and weren't disappointed. Fo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We only had a brief overnight but the staff was very good at this property. Front desk and concierge were particularly warm and welcoming. It is large and spread out so consider whether you want to request a room near the elevators to be able to get around more quickly. Room was clean and efficient and up to expectation. Nice access to beach and I really liked the hammock section. Enjoyed a short swing around the island and would enjoy a return trip.

Room Tip: Long hallways - decide whether to request to be nearer an elevator. Rooms facing the ocean are more...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Simpsonville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Pros:
Great Location, Great Property, Great Pool
Cons:
No free WiFi. No linen for the fold-out bed. Not enough towels. Took a long time to delivery linen and when they finally did, the children were already asleep.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at the Marriott Hilton Head Resort and Spa last weekend for a bit of rest and relaxation. It is a very nice hotel and the whole HIlton Head Island is very relaxing. No hustle and bustle like so many of the beaches in South Carolina. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The furniture was a bit old and banged up but that didn't matter. The heat/AC was great and easy to control. The staff at the front desk and throughout the hotel were very nice and accommodating. We did not eat at the hotel for any meals because we knew there were several restaurants on the island with good reviews that we wanted to try out. I am reviewing them separately - The Hilton Head Diner, Steamers, The Salty Dog Café and Paulie's Coal Fired Pizza. The location of the hotel is awesome. You can walk to the huge bike and kayak rental spot. I understand that you can get bikes at this hotel also. We gave some thought about kayaking the beautiful waterway nearby but chose resting instead. My only problem with this hotel is the pricing during the peak season. It costs almost four times the amount we paid during the off season. Not sure it's worth paying that much for? We most likely will go back again in the off season.

nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Lovely resort with two outdoor pools and one indoor pool. Internet access is included in the resort fee of $15. Beautiful beach with hard packed sand that enables you to walk without getting sand in your shoes. My only wish would be for quicker wifi service. Sometimes it took ten minutes to load a page.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the ocean. The view is magnificent.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Background: I am a travelling physician and have stayed in so many Marriott properties that I have lost count. I have also been in similar classed hotels such as Double Tree, Hyatt, and Sheraton. So as far as this Marriott goes, overall it's very good. We were travelling for our wedding anniversary.

Booking and Arrival: The hotel is huge, and we stayed on the 9th floor ocean front room with 2 queen beds. I booked for cheese and fruit platter on arrival (it's one of the concierge options). You can order this online or call them to order if you don't know how. In any case, the item was not in the room on arrival as I had expected. They did send it up without delay as soon as I made a phone call demanding my platter. It kind of ruined a nice suprise I had for my wife. The front desk staff was polite; the waiter who brought my cheese and fruit platter was impeccable. He should head the Buttling Department and he worked on this date: 03/09/2013, Manager take note.

Accomodation: The accomodations were excellent. I noticed that there was ample tiles in towards and in the bathroom area. I guess this is because it's a beach resort. Otherwise, the room was big, very clean and the bedsheets were supple, and compliant. I had a great view of ocean and miles of sand.

Dinner at the restaurant: This was awful. We were told that there was a 20 minute waiting time, so we accepted.

OUR WAITER WAS KATHERINE, FROM BOLGOTA, COLUMBIA. A WAITER FROM HELL.

Shortly after taking our orders, she brought us some water that we asked for. We did not see this waiter again for another 30 minutes. Mind you, we put in all our order at the same time which included appetitizer, entree and soup. I walked up front and spoke with a guy who directed me to the manager. I told them we were being ignored by our waiter- no checking up on us, no appetizer or soup (I am not even asking for the main course). The manager apologized but still Katherine did not show up for another fifteen minutes. She did not make eye contact, she was very clumsy and almost toppled my glass of water. She disappeared again for another 30 minutes. At long last when she came back with our food she tried to give me the wrong plate. I also by this time did not want any soup. We were both tired. The manager saw our frustrations with Katherine from Bolgota and came over to our table and offered us free dessert which we refused. She then decided that our dinner would be free and we thanked her.

Check out: The next day at the lounge we checked out.

I saw KATHERINE FROM BOLGOTA, COLUMBIA WITH A LARGE SUITCASE LOOKING VERY HAPPY. She was telling a lady that she was leaving!

Whoever hired such a waiter from Hell into a Marriott facilty should be fired. I am being generous to give a four star review, however there was chaos in the restaurant that night. I would hope that this was an exception to good service.

The rest of our stay was pretty much uneventful; it was too cold for me to go into the water.

Room Tip: Ocean front is worth it if you are staying more than a couple of days. Otherwise I am not so sure, i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!