“Great for little ones!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 26 hotels in Hilton Head
Hickory, NC
“Great for little ones!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

This property is ideal for families w/small kids. Bring snacks, drinks, etc. there's a full kitchen! Although we are MVC members, we are not members of this property and were not there for our official week. We were able to get discounted room rates for Labor Day weekend for our 2 BR 2 BA villa. A bit older than our home property (ST. THOMAS), but very nice, clean, and perfect for our family of 4. VERY short stroller ride to the pool & beach - no steps in the pool- my 2 year old walked right in -it gradually gets deeper. Nice fountains under an umbrella that little kids can splash around in. Also a toddler pool. The island is always wonderful. Don't miss Shannon Tanner (kids musician always playing on the island). We also tood advantage of the delivery service - after a long day on the beach (tired kids). Although they say they can't, they gave us a one hour delayed check out, so we could hit the pool/beach on the last morning! Great vacation. We will be back!

• Liked — room layout, beach
  • Disliked — needs a little updating, no room service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Crestwood, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

The Marriott Barony Beach Club is a beachfront resort situated within the Port Royal Plantation area of Hilton Head (on the ENE portion of the island, next door to the Westin resort). We reserved a 2 bedroom/2 bath oceanfront villa, which included a full kitchen (take advantage of this ammenity, as there are few restaurants nearby -- and none on the property), dining area, living room, wash/dryer and cover patio. Free WiFi access is available throughout the property (there is also a Business Center near the Lobby which offers PC and printer access for a small fee). The Barony features one large (saltwater) pool, along with smaller plunge pools around the property; there is an outdoor grilling area, with several gas grills available, along with tables and benches for outdoor dining.

A small market is located off the lobby for purchasing snacks and other sundry items, although the selection (IMO) is somewhat limited. There is no on-site restaurant at the Barony, although a small pool bar is open during posted hours. Lots of dining options on HHI (check out the "Restaurants" tab on TripAdvisor)...be advised that many of the full-service restaurants on the island can be pricey....there are restaurants next door at the Westin (very short walk from the Barony), including a great Seafood buffet on Friday nights (about $31pp, as of this writing).

Covered parking is available, with easy access to stairs and elevators leading to the rooms (along w/handy luggage carts).

Aside from the beach, lots of activities available (golf and tennis nearby, along with a spa on the property)....one of the BEST deals is renting a bicycle and exploring the beaches and island interior....there is a bike rental facility on the Barony property....rates ran about $10/day/bike or $25/week/bike.

Needless to say, there are many options for accommodations on HHI, but we were not disappointed in the Marriott Barony, and would enjoy staying there again.

• Liked — Spacious, clean, comfortable accommodations, beachfront location
  • Disliked — No on-site restaurant; LOTS of families during non-school periods.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We stayed at the Marriott Barony Beach for 3 days in July 2008. We rented a 2 bedroom ocean front suite through the regular hotel (not the timeshare program). The suite was great. There was a spacious living room, dining area and kitchen. The kitchen came fully equipped- it had plates, cups, utensils, even garbage bags and dish washing powder. There was a washer and dryer which were very convenient given the wet swim clothes we went through. The bedrooms were also spacious. The beds were comfortable and there was plenty of storage space for clothes. The bathrooms were also spacious, clean and well maintained. They were very generous with towels- we had about 3 towels for every person in our suite. The only negative thing I could say about the suite was that bathroom fixtures were older and not updated like the rest of the suite- but that is a very minor negative. Overall, the suite was impeccably maintained, clean and comfortable. Even the balcony was spotless and spacious.

The hotel grounds were what you would expect from a nicer resort hotel- clean and well maintained. There’s bike rental on the premises where we rented bikes from. We had the most pleasant and relaxing bike ride through the hotel grounds. The pool area was smaller than we expected, but there are several small pools on the hotel grounds. There was an activity board near the main pool and it looked like there were many activities for young children. My four year old really enjoyed the magic show.

Now for the downside- some of the other guests acted deplorably. I woke up at around 6:30am and saw people saving pool chairs with towels. Typically, one person would save 4-6 chairs. By 8am, most of the good chairs had towels one them, but hardly any people were outside. They would save these chairs and not use them for hours. My husband went to the pool with my son. He put his shoes under one chair and his towel on the next chair. A couple came by and put their towels on one of the chairs. My husband was nearby in the pool and told them that was his chair. The lady said there was nothing on the chair. When my husband said his shoes were under it, she shrugged and they still left their stuff on the chair. They left their stuff there for about 2 hours while they sat on other chairs nearby. I have no idea why they stole a chair they didn’t need. There was not a single hotel employee around to ask to resolve this. The chair thieves weren’t the worst guests during our stay. We came home from dinner around 9pm to find that someone put giant Xs in ketchup on several doors on our floor, including our own door. I called the front desk and they told me that security was looking into it. They suspected some teenagers did it. To Marriott’s credit, housekeeping did come right away to clean it up. My husband and I are an interracial couple so I was a little worried about the red X on our door. I did sleep with one eye open that night. I know that a hotel can’t completely control the behavior of its guests. But Marriott should realize that some of its guests are low class, rude, devoid of common sense, and are in need of constant policing because they don’t know right from wrong. Marriott needs to have more employees policing the pool area and more security on the hotel grounds. It’s a shame to maintain such a lovely hotel only to have low-class guests ruin it. This is the first hotel I’ve been to where the hotel did almost everything right and the guests themselves were the cause of the problems.

• Liked — Clean, large, and well maintaned room
  • Disliked — Low class guests who stole pool chairs and vandalized hotel property
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

My husband, daughter and I spent 4 days and 3 nights at this resort, and it was amazing! Sparkling clean (workers were out at 7 a.m. cleaning the tops of the lights that illuminate the walkways in courtyard), and luxurious in every way. 1400 sq. ft suites, quiet rooms, plush towels.

A bit hard to find (be sure you get a good map and directions), but well worth the trip. We had never been to Hilton Head before, but we will definitely be back!

• Liked — Very large, beautifully decorated, super clean
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

We exchanged our timeshare through Interval International and reserved (2) two-bedroom units at Barony Beach. It was for a family reunion, with 4 families, and everyone had a great time. We had children of the following ages: 2, 4, 4, 4, 7, 8, & 10, 6 adults in there 30's-40's, and 2 senior citizens.

I had asked to stay at one of the units close to the ocean but when we arrived, we were told they were booked solid. So we ended up staying at the building furthest away from the ocean. I was disappointed at the time but it didn't turn out to be a big deal at all! We never saw many other people at the resort but I guess it's wasn't the time of year that a lot of kids would be around so I'll believe that they were telling me the truth about being booked.

Everyone enjoyed the rooms immensely! The king and queen beds were fabulous. It was nice to have the stools to use on the peninsula counter, as well as the dining room table. Everything worked perfectly! Plus, they put our rooms right next to each other so that was great for the kids.

My favorite part was the salt water pools! I'd never seen that before and thought that it was the best idea that I'd ever seen. It made such a difference on our skin and eyes swimming in the salt water pools. It was great! I prefer that over the heavily chlorinated pools that you get at most resorts.

My wife, her sister, and her father enjoyed the wine tasting tour and I enjoyed the doubles tennis tournament at a nearby resort. And we got in 1 round of golf at Palmetto Dunes, as well. The kids, of course, loved the beach and the pools. And it didn't hurt that the temperature was in the mid 80's the entire week with rain on only 1 day. Not too bad for the middle of October. And everyone got along great so that made it an even better vacation!!!!

And, by the way, the check-in and check-out processes were very simple and quick!

Thank you, Barony Beach!!

• Liked — Cleaniliness and Comfort of the accomodations
  • Disliked — Distance from the beach
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

We stay at the Barony every year in the summer for a week. Our favorite feature is the zero entry pool which is wonderful if you have young children. They can play happily and safely in the water while you relax nearby.

When I am at the Barony I feel that I've left the US and am in some tropical location somewhere. This is a place you can really unwind.

The apartments are spacious and clean, the staff are friendly, the beach is nearby and the pools are not crowded.

• Liked — Spacious apartments; beautiful landscaping
  • Disliked — Parking can be a bit tight
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

i just returned from the barony beach club yesterday and I wanted to write a quick review. First of all, I am not an owner there, I own in Aruba and this was my first trip to hilton head. I was pleasantly surprised at what a great trip it was. I did not have to stay in the garden villas, I was not beach front, I was the one behind that. Our view was of the maze pavilion and the outdoor heated pool, very nice. I traveled with my mom and 2 young children ages 4 and 1 1/2. They had a blast!! There were activites all day long, my daughter loved the princess tea party! The pool was a big hit, except for the sand that accumulated by the end of the day. The beach was very clean and water very warm. We went to shelter cove on Tuesday for the fireworks and went to sea pines center and harbourtown for shopping and sightseeing. Everyone was very nice and eager to help at the resort, I really have no complaints. A great trip overall!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marriott's Barony Beach Club? Share your experiences!