“Excellent resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 26 hotels in Hilton Head
New Jersey
“Excellent resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

A wonderful place to stay. We stayed in an immaculately maintained two bedroom villa that was very comfortable. The resort facilities were first class. We ate lunch three times at All Y'all's bar and grill by the pool - good food at a reasonable price. The grounds a perfectly and tastefully maintained.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This wonderful resort is beautiful, well kept, and fun. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The beach here is perfect! They have on-site bicycle rentals, a great pool-side restaurant/bar. Our unit was clean and well equipped. I have all good things to say about our girl's trip to Barony Beach Club!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bucks County, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week and were well pleased. We had requested a high floor in the Sea Oats building, closest to the ocean. We knew it would be a courtyard view. Upon check-in we were told that there was only a first floor villa available but that in Live Oak, a few steps behind Sea Oats, we could have a 4th floor unit. After a brief walk around the property we chose the higher floor in Live Oak and are so glad we did. Our unit had an extended balcony which afforded a feeling of privacy. (The first floor units in Sea Oats face Y'All's bar and constant traffic from people walking to the pool and beach.) We knew we would cook most of our meals and the kitchen was well equipped. We had brought a few favorite pans, knives and spatulas from home but could have managed without them. The oven takes a long time to pre-heat. The bank of gas grills in the courtyard were great.
There is enough dishwasher detergent provided for each day of the stay and fortunately we brought enough laundry pods from home to supplement the one tiny box they supply.
The unit was well maintained and very clean. I have to say, though, that I found the layout a bit odd. I would describe the master bedroom as a bed in a bathroom. At a right angle to the king bed was the large Jacuzzi tub. Opposite that there was a double sink with large mirror. There is a separate room for the toilet and stall shower but a frosted window in the shower allows light into the bedroom. It's not perfect when one person is an early riser and the other not so much.
The only other minor complaint is that it was mostly "builders' grade" and could have used a few dimmer switches. We would definitely stay again and had a fabulous time.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa with an extended balcony, and be aware that first floor units in Live Oak looks dire...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Willams Township, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I couldn't agree more with the "Nice location, average property" review. We too are Marriott vacation owners and have stayed at MANY different Marriott properties across the country and in Aruba. Barony Beach is one of our least favorites. Locally, we have also stayed at the Marriott Grande Ocean In Hilton Head twice and three times at Surfwatch. Both of those properties are far superior to this one. Although Surfwatch is much newer, I believe the Grande Ocean is older (or around the same age) as Barony Beach, but you would never know. The owners of Grande Ocean have done a wonderful job in maintaining the high standards that Marriott Vacation Club owners have come to appreciate. Unfortunately I can not say the same about Barony Beach. One of the reasons my husband and I chose this property is that not only did we want to try another Marriott property but we knew that Barony Beach had a garden side pool with a waterslide. Our two children, ages 12 and 9, unfortunately are not as easily entertained by "normal" pools as they were when they were younger, so we always try and find a resort that caters to their ages. The first day we arrived at Barony Beach my children immediately wanted to go over to the pool with the waterslide. Unfortunately it was closed. We were told many different stories by various Marriott workers as to why; there was a broken part, they don't open it because it is "slow season", etc. so we finally asked one of the managers hoping that he would tell us the real story. He was quite shocked when we asked why the slide was closed. He explained that the slide "should" be open from 12-3 and assured us it would be open the following day. Quess what? The slide was once again closed the following day. At this point we got tired of asking. Bottom line: Why have a pool at a property that you can not use? I don't buy the "broken part" story. If there is a broken part, does it really take over a week to fix it and why would a "manager "tell us the slide would be open when it never was? It was closed the entire week we were there! If you are not a Marriott owner, you are probably thinking by now that I am being very "picky", but the truth is that this is NOT normally the Marriott way. Normally Marriott caters to children, especially at their timeshares, and if there is a "problem" at one of their resorts, they are normally on top of it . The other "problems" we encountered while staying here is the attitude of some of the employees. On one incident my son and I were walking along the path from the oceanside pool back to our room and we practically were pushed out of the way by a Marriott employee that was obviously in a hurry to get back to the front desk. As we walked he shouted "EXCUSE ME" . It was so loud I actually was startled. We had to stop walking and move aside to let him by. Why couldn't he walk around us? It was pretty obvious he was annoyed that we were walking so slow. Another incident was with the poolside bartender. During our stay we frequently ate lunch and ordered drinks at the poolside bar. There were two female bartenders working there the entire week of our stay. One of them had an "attitude" that I have never seen at Marriott. On one of our first days here, my husband had asked to use the house phone (he wanted to again check to see if they had opened the slide), but instead of graciously giving him the phone, he was asked "Why do you need it?" in a very unprofessional manner. When he explained that he wanted to call the front desk she got very defensive and said "What do you need THEM for?" Really? All of this may sound like little issues to most, and they probably are at properties OTHER than Marriott Vacation properties, but the norm that we have come to expect is employees going out of their way with a smile and a kind "hello", employees willing to go "above and beyond". This was definitely NOT the case at Barony Beach. I could not agree more with the previous reviewer on not only the disrepair of the resort but also on cheap quality of the unit furniture. It really was NOT up to the normal Marriott standard. As you can probably tell by now, I really don't have much positive to say about this resort. In all honesty, if you have kids, don't stay here...chose Grande Ocean or Surfwatch. They are much nicer properties.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Barony Beach Club, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of Marriott's Barony Beach Club. While we appreciate your feedback, it is disappointing to hear that your experience was not up to the Marriott standard you expect and deserve. We have addressed your concerns with the resort management team and also followed-up with the supervisor of the front desk associates you encountered so corrective action can be taken. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact our customer care team at 800 860 9384 or via email at customer.care@vacationclub.com.
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a timeshare with Marriott and though I do not promote time shares I will say this is a nice timeshare. However, be careful because this is October and not so many kids around. If you have little ones try the Garden side which has a great play area for kids. The ocean is just steps away what ever side you choose. I am lucky this year because I have a great view of the ocean. Other amenities, 1 indoor pool, at least three outdoor pools, a bar and a small market. You can rent bikes, sign up for golf and there are always activities planned. For me strolling on the beach, golfing and just sitting back and relaxing are the key. October is quieter than when I have come in April which is fine with me. All in all a pretty nice place, bad part they will try to sell you a timeshare at another Barony property.

Room Tip: If you like a view get one of the front units, as in the back unit there is tree coverage. Also a ju...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Acworth, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Booked our last minute stay at the Marriott Barony Beach Club. It was a quick getaway for 2 nights but we enjoyed our stay. Villa had a full kitchen, dining room, living room with flat screen TV, large porch. Master bedroom with large jetted tub and a second bedroom with a large jetted tub. Washer/Dryer in unit. Went to the beach and rented chairs/umbrellas one day and went to one of the pools also. My young son loved the splash pad! He had so much fun and was sad to leave! We definitely enjoyed our stay and would return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Let me begin with a full disclosure. I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member and my husband and I have owned a Marriott Vacation club timeshare for eight years. Our home resort is Grande Vista in Orlando, however, we have stayed there only once. We exchanged yearly through Interval to stay at various other Marriott locations in Aruba, Palm Springs and Myrtle Beach. Two years ago we stayed at Marriott Surf Watch in Hilton Head. Compared to other Marriott properties we found this location to be "tired" and in need of renovation. The staff, location and amenities were great but we were disappointed in the overall quality of the unit (2 bedroom/9400 building). The carpet was worn, the master bath was very dated and the kitchen stove had rust along the bottom. The garbage disposal in our unit needed to be repaired twice during our 1 week stay; both times the response was very prompt. We did enjoy the large balcony; plenty of room for 4 people to eat and relax. The gym and bike rentals were also very nice. The pool area was very nice but also in need of maintenance. Paint and stucco were chipped around the hot tubs and the restroom at the pool was in need of an update. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Barony Beach Club but the property fell short of what we have experienced at other Marriott locations.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Marriott's Barony Beach Club? Share your experiences!