“Really . . . it IS life changing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Head Health

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hilton Head
Hilton Head Health
You added Hilton Head Health to your Saves list
14 Valencia Road, Hilton Head, SC 29928   |
Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 20%
philadelphia
“Really . . . it IS life changing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Don't go to lose weight (although it is very focused on people with weight problems, including me), go to feel better, physically and mentally. The staff was amazing, and the fellow guests were supportive and made the experience wonderful. I wasn't keen on going to the seminars at first, but many are truly outstanding (esp. the metabolism class and the motivation class). I tried almost every activity available, and surprised myself. By Tuesday I had frequent moments of thinking "wow am I proud of myself." I hate exercise, but realized that much of it is that I don't push myself when alone, and am self-conscious about my appearance and lack of ability when in public. Combined, it is a formula for sitting and wishing. I returned home just two days ago, and I now know how much better I feel with regular activity . . . feeling good is an incredible motivator.

I stayed in the Cottages (one of the condo developments near the main lodge), and it was definitely dated and worn. Beware that you are in the woods, with the associated bugs and things that are a part of being in the woods. BUT, I left at 6:45 every morning and returned between 8 and 9 p.m., so it really was just a place to sleep and shower. By the way, they recommend bringing a flashlight because it really is PITCH dark walking back and forth in the mornings and evenings.

The food ranged from good to great. Other reviewers have said that they were a picky eater but did just fine. I am a picky eater, and I did have some challenges. Let H3 know in advance about food issues and they will work with you--in the moment they are less accommodating about pickiness (versus food allergies, for example). I also have a small appetite, and I found that there was no way I could eat as much food as they gave us. I was never hungry at all.

I went for only a week, and I think it was too short. I strongly recommend going for at least 10 days if you can possibly do it. Yes, it is expensive, but there is much to be gained by establishing habits while there and giving your mind and body time to "reset." One week was not enough, and I know I will have to work harder to maintain the habits because they have not yet had time to "set."

Most people who will read this will wonder about weight loss. I'll be upfront. I had started my weight loss journey 4 weeks before going, and had lost 14 pounds. While there I worked out 6 hours a day (no joke! Never thought it was possible, but with the variety of activities and my own motivation, it was exhilarating!) and never managed to eat 1200 calories a day. I lost 2 pounds total in a week. Hard to figure out the biology of that, and I had a moment of being really disappointed, but then I thought about how much I gained. I feel better in every way. I view life differently. It really was a life changing experience, and I have already booked my return trip. If you really are ready to change your life and how you feel about it, go for it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

An expensive week for my budget but a 'GOTTA DO ONCE' event on my list.
Now, having said and done that...it's a 'MUST DO AGAIN" event on my list.

This place and these people challenged me to do things I would never do in my local gym.
Had me think of life events in a way which inspired rather than tired.
Just a complete mind and body wellness program.

There were lots of 'added cost' events and activities which did sound like fun and those participating had a great time. I Did None of those (budget), and STILL left with no sense of missing out on anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ft Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My first time to experience Hilton Head Health (H3) was truely life changing! Going in I knew I was going to be doing alot of exercise, be on a reduced calorie meal plan, and be educated on the latest information regarding living a healthy life style. After one month, I was losing weight, enjoying the variety of exercise, being served great meals, meeting lots of interesting folks but best of all my lipid panel numbers were way down! I signed up to stay another month! Being at H3 hleped me lose weight and improved my health so that I have gone off my triglyceride medication and cut my cholesterol medicine in half! The staff there and all the guests were so wonderful and fun to get to know! The island is beautiful! The accomodations are very nice. Because of knee issues I spent many hours in the H3 salt water pool doing exercise classes (Zumba in the Pool, Bob's Water Resistance class, Aqua Bootcamp) and swimming burning those pounds off! All the exercise classes are so much fun and the trainers do modify the exercise if you have back or knee issues. I have never been any place like H3 and plan to return! Where else can you enjoy the people, food, activities, beautiful island, and still lose weight?!!!

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled cottage or condomenium.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have been to Hilton Head Health 3 times. The instructors, staff, and counselors are excellent. The approach is a total package of mind, body and spirit, addressing nutrition, exercise and over eating issues. The food is healthy AND delicious. Cooking classes are offered so that you can learn first hand how to make nutritious meals once you return home. There are a multitude of exercise classes to choose from that will accomodate most physical issues. I liked the water classes because of knee issues, so I was getting a great work out without stressing my joints. It is a vacation that you will return home from feeling better than when you left. I can't recommend this wonderful facility enough. Once you go you will want to return again and again! (Just like me!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bedford,NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This May was my second time back to H3 and I plan to make H3 visits a yearly event. The accommodations, the facility, the staff, the food are fantastic. I travel alone and when I arrive at H3 I feel safe and welcomed. The stress just leaves my body and I have time to rest my soul. Besides a vast variety of exercise classes, there are lectures and workshops to help you learn and live a healthy lifestyle. At H3 its not just about the scale, its about the whole person. I have found no better place than H3 in the USA!

Room Tip: When making your reservations, ask for a villa and tell them if you have special needs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Perrysburg, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My first stay at H3 and it was fantastic. It exceeded my expectations 100 fold. I went with the mind set to take advantage of all the offerings and that's just what I did with wonderful results, 11 pounds and 5.5 inches in ten days. I started with the sunrise walk on the beach and ended the day with a lovely bike ride around Shipyard Plantation. The instructionors were all personable and so knowledgeable, they worked me hard but I wanted to work hit. The seminars were the most relevant and useful to me for my everyday life. The speakers were well versed on the subjects and their talks were easy to listen to and stay interested in. I tried the different exercise class offerings to see what I like and what I might fit into my real life. I am going back next spring for a 3 day yoga weekend. But the most wonderful aspect was the other people I meet there. Everyone was so nice, I didn't go to make friends but it was impossible not to. We supported each other and inspired each other and did cannonballs in the pool together. We are keeping into by email and Facebook and sharing recipes and offering support to each other. It was just an exceptional experience!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bethany Beach, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We spent a week at H3 last December and seven months later we are 50 and 40 pounds lighter and it is all thanks to their guidance and help. We have changed the way we eat and exercise and have tools for enjoying restaurant meals without packing on the pounds. The facility is very nice, the meals fabulous, the staff knowledgeable and supportive and staying in the condo accommodations was perfect. This is a great program that teaches you how to lose weight and the science behind it. And what a positive environment! They are not the "food and exercise police" but if you want to change, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: If two of you go together you can share your own condo.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Head Health? Share your experiences!