“Not an enjoyable stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 26 hotels in Hilton Head
Orlando, Florida
“Not an enjoyable stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel was a dissapointment. I shouldn't have expected much, looking at it online before I went. It didn't seem like a nice hotel. And it wasn't. The layout was very odd...with the lobby in a small building and the rooms in a few different buildings down the road, spaced out... The outside/lobby of our building/elevators/hallways were not very clean and not appealing to look at. The windows in the elevators were nasty and the whole building had an unpleasant smell. The room was ok, and it was nice that there was a microwave and fridge, but again, nothing nice to look at. Everything was so outdated. They need to remodel the whole property.When the maid came to clean the room, she took our dirty towels but didn't replace them with new, clean towels. Also, we were not told when the complimentary breakfast ended (at check-in) and we didn't think to ask because at most hotel sit it ends at 11. We got there at like 10:10 and the lady running the breakfast was cleaning up. We asked if she would let us make a waffle and she said no. She easily could have... She was not friendly or helpful at all. That was the only thing good about the breakfast, the rest looked like it left a lot to be desired... and the coffee which we were able to obtain, was HORRIBLE. The only good thing about this hotel is that it is a short walk to the the nice Coligny Beach, but if you have a little more money to spend, I strongly recommend spending it at a nicer hotel...this was only a two star hotel (really a motel) and you can easily see why. The mangement needs to spend money to fix things around the property and make it look a little more presentable, if they aren't going to renovate and update, which is greatly needed. The standards at this hotel are clearly low.

Room Tip: One good thing is that we did request a king room and they met our request.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHHI779, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Forest Beach, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I am sorry to hear your stay was Disappointing, I would like you to know that we are set to have some work done in the building that will brighten things up but unfortuanately not until the fall when things slow up and we have the time and room to work. I would like to get some additional information from you so that I may find out and address the towel situation and address the breakfast hours. I was pleased to hear that we were able to accomodate your request for the King Room. Please contact me directly so that I may address this in a more suitable manner.

Melissa McBain- General Manager 779gm_hiltonhead@snbhotels.com

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Christiansburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I liked the pool was heated! The rooms are away from the lobby so you have quite a walk or a short drive if you need something or to go to breakfast! The pool only has 3 lounge chairs. The breakfast is good!

• Stayed April 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

You're getting a place to put your head and a shower. The hotel is out dated and rooms crusted with the scent of sand and sunscreen. The beds are not comfortable. Most rooms have a sliding glass door that you can't beat leaving open and smelling the fresh air. The beach is across the street and location good (no beach view from hotel). A few great bars and restaurants close by. Bike rentals near the check in office and a decent pool. Overall a sub-standard stay at a great location. I stay here often for work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Fort Payne, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Yes, it is old and outdated. Lots of noise. We were on the 3rd floor. The breakfast surprised me, it was much better than I expected. Staff was friendly. Location was a 7 to 10 minute walk to the beach. I drove and on our 2nd day found the free parking. Lots of shops close by. Looking out our sliding glass door was a great view. Like the parking under the building.

Room Tip: Try to get on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is old. The hallways look like something out of a 3rd world country! Scary!!! Floors are concrete in the halls. Outside looks ok... Nicely landscaped... The outside gives you the impression that the hotel is nice... Not! Once you enter the hotel it is old school and run down. Like I said poorly lit hallways with concrete floors. Rooms are old, bedding is old, couch is old, carpet is old... And at close to 200.00 per night for the cheapest room you would think they would update the decor. They do have a flat screen tv with cable channels that many do not work. The room WAS clean. They obviousily have decent cleaning staff. The overall look is depressing and tired and not worth 200.00 a night. It reminds me of an old motel 6 or old days inn. The pool is great!! Beautiful area, heated pool, beautiful landscaping...

One stupid, stupid thing is that you check in at one building and then have to drive to the actual hotel!!! What??? That means there is NO front desk to walk down to and breakfast is a long walk off! It is a good walk to just get a donut! While the walk is pretty it does get old and should you carry something back to your room it is a chore.

I chose this hotel cause it is close to the beach. Bottom line is that unless you have a room ON the ocean you will be driving to park anyhow or biking. You could walk to the beach but it is a good long walk... I am surprised they charge this much but it is Hilton Head! That is why they can charge it.

I wish i had spent the extra money for a decent room. We spent tons on food. An extra 100.00 would have gotten us a room at hilton head Omni...

I would highly suggest you look elsewhere. While the check in people were nice and housekeeping nice we would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Franklinton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

When I checked in was greeted very nice very much made me feel welcome. I had two motorcycles one did not start the next day the front desk young lady went to her car and got jumper cables for me to try to jump it. that did not work they let me keep the bike there and some gear overnight till it could be picked up. Thank you front desk staff

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHHI779, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Forest Beach, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and hope that all is well with your bike.

Again, Thank you

Melissa McBain, General Manager
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were in Hilton Head for 1 night and day. We are Choice Priviliges members and stay at their hotels when possible. We got there at night and decided to check the Quality Inn because it was rated a little higher on Tripadvisor and was a little bit cheaper, but the customer reviews were mixed on both hotels. The outside of the hotel and lobby looked good. However, when we checked the room, it was not very good so we decided to go on and check out the Comfort Inn. The staff at the front desk was very nice. We checked in and drove to the hotel which is about 2 blocks from the office and breakfast area. The room was better than the Quality Inn but was still just an OK hotel room but was clean. I could not get on the internet and called the front desk. They could not help me but gave me an 800 number to call and they helped me get connected. However, after I got connected, it was not the best and certain things I could not do and had to wait until I got somewhere else to send what I wanted to send. I thought the room was a bit overpriced. However, the next morning we walked to get breakfast (which was good ) and the property was very pretty with fountains and flowers and walkways. We asked at the desk how to get to the beach and it was only a nice 5 minute walk so the location was very good which is why i assume it was priced higher. It was close to a lot of shopping and places to eat. Overall, I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We do have a beautiful spot here on the island, shopping, restaurants, beach, biking, or even just walking. I will pass on your comments and I am sure the staff will be pleased. Again, thank you.

Melissa McBain-General Manager

Been to Comfort Inn South Forest Beach? Share your experiences!