“Welcome to Doggy Daycare ...” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Hilton Head
Atlanta, Georgia
“Welcome to Doggy Daycare ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We spent three nights at this Comfort Inn. It was a last minute trip and other options were booked. The hotel is quite old and in bad need of updating ... see photos. It is a short walk or drive to the beach ... very convenient to shops and restaurants. Breakfast was good. Front desk staff was very helpful with restaurant suggestions. Biggest complaint/problem was that this is a VERY pet friendly motel. We felt like we were staying at doggy day-care. Almost every guest had one or more dogs of all sizes. The lady in the room ajoining ours had two small dogs that barked and yipped non-stop. I called the office to ask for a room change where there would not be barking dogs next door. She promised me she would take care of it. The barking did stop briefly but how can anyone keep dogs from barking? Would never have booked here if I had know that it was THE place to stay for dog owners.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
GMHHI779, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Forest Beach, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
First Let me say how disipointed I am that you did not enjoy your Stay entirely here at the Comfort Inn. I would like to address the issue of Being Pet Freindly: We are indeed are pet freindly and have only specific floors that the allow the pets. Due to the location being a vacation spot and family orriented we are Pet Freindly because we do know that there are many people that travel with that special family member. I do apologize for any inconvienence this may have caused you and can assure you if you do give us another chance that you will not hear a dog next to you or on the same floor. I do hope that you will take me up on this, we strive very hard to make each and every guests experience an enjoyable one. I do know that we will not satisfy everyone but we hope to make that number as small as possible. Thank you for your Time and I do hope to hear back from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This hotel is badly in need of an update. The front desk staff was friendly but that's the only thing good I have to say about it. I only stayed one night (thank goodness) waiting for my condo to be ready for the week. The bedskirt had stains on it; the bathtub had stains; the inside of the bathtub had some sort of patch on it that was sort of spongy. I thought my foot was going to go right through it. The sliding glass door had a sign on it that said to place the pin in the slot (for security purposes) but the pin was missing. I booked this through Priceline for $50. When I got to my room it was a smoking room and it reeked. I went back to the front desk and asked if I could switch to another room. I was told they only had a handicap room for an additional $10. I gladly paid it to get out of the stinky room. Everything just looks worn out - hallways; elevator, etc. I tried the free breakfast - just had scrambled eggs and toast. The eggs were cold and had no taste - I threw them out and left. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Marietta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

We want to begin by saying the breakfast was ample, satisfying choices for all palates. The breakfast staff worked tirelessly & with smiles to satisfy a continual roomfull of hungry guests.
Other than that- We found that what was said & promised was slow - if ever-provided. i shall list the least to the most egregious examples of customer 'no-service' during our 4 day stay..
1. We returned to our room late & hungry one evening. We called a couple of restaurants & discovered we were too late to dine out. We called the front desk and were told there was a magazine, "Hilton Head Restaurants", in the lobby of the building in which we were staying and that included in it was a list of restaurants which delivered late. We went, found multiple publications-none titled "Hilton Head Restaurants".
2. We planned to swim and called the front desk to see if we needed to provide our own towels. We were told there were towels provided poolside and if there were none to call the front desk. We swam. There were no towels. We called and were told that someone would bring some promptly-in a minute. We, soaking wet, had nearly given up after 20 minutes and were gathering our things to ascend to our room when a most unfriendly man arrived bearing towels.
3. We came to our room after noon-we had an infant on this trip -to take a nap. Our room had been cleaned to perfection. As we rested there was a knock on the door. Before we could rise to answer it - literally in a second-the door opened. I said, "Hello?". The door quickly shut. I gathered my senses & a cover-up, went to the door, & saw no one in either direction. We called the front desk to convey our concern with what had happened. We were told that it would be investigated & she would call right back. After 10 minutes we called again. We were told there was a way to determine when rooms had been accessed and by which card-an assigned room card or a master one. We were told we would be called. After 30 minutes we called again, expressing concern for ourselves & our things- that we were hesitant to leave. We were offered a room change or to check out. A manager came to the phone & said perhaps it was someone from maintainence-that some rooms on our floor were scheduled for something. We questioned why that person would not have identified him/serself. The manager said she would check. in 10 minutes the manager and a maintainence person were at our door. The maintainence person said, "I was the one. I had been working on the floor above you. I thought this room was vacant.' Both were friendly and all smiles. After they left we were haunted by these thoughts: (1) He never said on what he would be performing maintainence in our room. If it were essential should he have said so? (2) He never said why he did not identify himself as maintainence when i said, "Hello.'
We found the whole experience dissatisfying and their explainations disingenuous.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
GMHHI779, General Manager at Comfort Inn South Forest Beach, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Dear Guest,
First of all, please let me thank you for submitting a review on Trip Advisor. My team and I use this as a platform for growth and improvement. Your feedback allows us to improve upon our practice to offer guests a great vacation and home away from home experience.
I am very sorry and embarrassed that your experience with us was so poor. The attentiveness that my staff showed to you during your stay with us was definitely not up to our standards, and I have, and will, continue to monitor that this does not happen again. We are usually on top of things around here at the Comfort Inn South Forest Beach.
I would like to respond to each and every one of your concerns/issues to ensure that this does not happen again. As you will see, I have already implemented procedures to hinder these practices from taking place again.

1. Late night dining: In response to your review, I have already given each of the front-desk agents a copy of the updated list of restaurants that deliver late.

2. Towels at the pool: During season here on the Island it is very difficult to keep up on towels as the demand is so high, and the staff has a hard time keeping up. We have found that some guests take the towels to the beach and leave them there, depleting our stock of towels for the rest of our guests. To aid in this matter, I have ordered more pool towels so that this may not happen again.

3. Startling entry: I sincerely want to make sure you know how sorry I am for this incident. As I explained to you, my maintenance personnel was working in the room above you and wanted to verify that the leak had not disturbed your room or stay. He did call from the room above to see if anyone one was there and received no answer (which sounds like the time when you returned to your room). Upon coming to your door still thinking there was no one in the room he knocked and put his key in and opened the door, he was about to say Maintenance when he heard a “Hello” it startled him and he closed the door and left. We both came to your room to apologize and offer to move you to another room. We do sincerely apologize for any and all issues and do hope that you will give us another try to change your perception of the hotel.

Thank you and I do look forward to hearing from you. Please contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to discuss this further.
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed at the CI for 1 night. It is in a good location. Rooms are average. It's aplace to rest your head, park your car, enjoy the beach. Breakfast was okay. Air conditioner kept me up all night. Pool was average. Close to grocery stores etc. Walk to the beach and restaurants. Good parking. Eat at Flatbreads Grill by the beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
ithaca ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Everything rocked - great value - shuttle picked us up within 5 mins everytime,,we used 10 times so it was a good test...loved breakfast - great pool, beautiful area...we walked once but liked the shuttle best. GO HERE

Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I just moved to the Island and needed a place to stay for a couple of nights to stay. I went to the holiday inn but they were too expensive so I tried the Comfort Inn (Great Room for Very reasonable price for the time of year). Will Deffinately recommend the Comfort Inn. Props to Anthony in Maintenance and to Justine at the Front Desk.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Not happy with this hotel. Small rooms & not very clean. The hotel needs renovating & maintenance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn South Forest Beach? Share your experiences!