I am a DVC member who has been travelling to Disney Hilton Head Resort since 1996, the first year it was opened! I have watched and documented many changes over that time from being an absolutely FIRST RATE family resort built in the Low Country of South Carolina to a Disneyfication island in Hilton Head. The Island Disney purchased sits on Broad Creek, a Brackish Waterway that eventually leads to the Ocean with 8 foot tides twice a day everyday! There is a corner of this island, the kayak launching area, where someone can sit on an adirondick chair under a live oak tree and allow the harshness of the world to disappear! Wireless service has been a great addition, however the routers bump you off often and you have to log in each time. Many two bedroom units of 4 exist to rent, however being on a lower floor sometimes is uncomfortable from the noise above. If staying in the lodge you will want to be away from the elevator due to noise at all hours. The front desk staff has been from good to not very good over the years and seems to be the first place new cast members appear. Parking is a premium and RV's and boat trailors and not allowed, however there areas where these can be parked on the main Island.
This is a gated Resort that gets a little crazy during summer fire works which are put off from a barge on Broad Creek near the boardwalk that is attached to Disney's Island.
The rooms are all decorated in darker colors to fit into the Low Country atmosphere, however I understand a WHITE color interior is on the way, just some more Florida Disney coming into the Low Country. Instead of a small pebble of river rock at the kayak landing, Disney tried crushed articifial sea shells and later a white rough pea rock, which I believe is more Florida coming to SC?
There is an outdoor movie theatre that has been recently added near the Creek under some live oak trees and this location does not bother me as much as the first location near the Mercantile/pool area.
The Big Dipper slide at the pool is just FANTASTIC and both pools are very nice. The second pool is at the Beach House that sits in Palmetto Dunes Plantation, a gated community opposite Shelter Cove (where Disney's Island is located) and just a short ride by, shuttle, bike, or car where your parking pass allows entrance. Very nice beach at the Beach House! There is a restaurant at the Beach House where they also had an outdoor bar with a view of the ocean that I understand is being CLOSED and moved inside the restaurant.
Still LOVE going to DVC HHI, however the feel of Low Country SC is missing and being replaced by Disney, Florida! Best time of year to visit in my opinion is October! Ocean still warm, nights can be cooler, pools very nice, traffic not at bad and less school age children. I will be going back the end of May 2013 for what will probably be trip number 23 or so. Just NEED to sit under that live oak tree on Disney's Island at the corner of Shelter Cove Marina and Broad Creek! I am at PEACE in that spot and the changes become less of a problem for me.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Hilton Head Island Hotel Hilton Head
- Disney`s Hilton Head Island Hotel
- Disneys Hilton Head
- Disney Hilton Head Resort
- Disney Hilton Head
- Disney Hilton Head Island Resort
- Disneys Hilton Head Island Resort
- Hilton Head Disney
- Disneys Hilton Head Resort
- Disneys Resort Hilton Head
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This warm home-away-from-home—fashioned after a 1940’s hospitable hunting and fishing lodge—combines Carolina charm with simple pleasures and outdoor fun. Accommodations No matter your family size, there’s a villa to fit your needs. The Resort rooms and suites feature colorful décor, numerous amenities and spectacular views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.